Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 125 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #1861
country flag opeth84

opeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

And last for now. Not exactly prog an probably more so belongs to Post Metal/ Black Metal but this song is so epic i think prog fans can certainly enjoy it. Never heard an American band sound so European before

Unfortunately youtube seems to have it in 2 parts.

opeth84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #1862
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeth84 View Post
Aww lucky for some Would love to see him live. Emperor was about the only band of that scene (also Darkthrone) that have never made it down to Aus.
As far as I remember well, Emperor barely ever played live in Europe either (outside Scandinavia). I never got to see them play live, as every scarce time that they did, I had business elsewhere.

Quote:
Can't complain too much so far this year was able to see the mighty Devin Townsend an also caught Isis at a festival luckily as they disbanded last month.
DEVIN TOWNSEND!!!
He performed with his 'Project' at both Hellfest and Graspop this year. I missed the Graspop-gig because of me having to attend my ultimate favourite (a band which name begins with an 'A' ) playing at the same time in a different tent. But I did get to see the Hellfest gig, oh yeah! You can read my report on that over here: http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/320131.html

Mr. Townsend is one of those fellows in the business who actually deserves the 'Genius'-tag. There's nothing he can't do, from bone-crushing Death Metal to fantastic prog. Here's one of my favs from him:

Quote:
Another awesome album from this year im sure you will agree

The band I've seen perform at least three times each year since 1997.
And yes, their latest is a cracker. Album #8, finally there after 8 long years of waiting, but what a masterpiece it is. Album of the Year so far for me, no wonder with that awesome job Master S.W. did for them. My Archives-review can be found over here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=285158
(though... I still rate 'Judgement' as their ultimate best )

Quote:
And last for now. Not exactly prog an probably more so belongs to Post Metal/ Black Metal but this song is so epic i think prog fans can certainly enjoy it. Never heard an American band sound so European before
- great stuff, quite doomy, too, and no I don't mind that at all. I fully understand that the more purist proggers won't appreciate the BM-style vocals but I agree with you very much, it's a great epic and the more open-minded proggers should surely give this band a chance. I'll be checking out more from them for sure.

Funny indeed, there are not so many American bands at all that manage to get that pure 'European' sound (in this case I'd say 'Scandinavian', though the production job is obviously too 'clean' to call it that) - usually the bands that do manage are from Canada. Hence Rush, Devin Townsend, and a band like GY!BE, to name just a few greats within the genre.
Is that a coincidence, I wonder?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-12-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #1863
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, any of you heard/seen this yet:http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/p...netree/bonnie/?

(of course, no way to capture that in YouTube, it would get deleted in no time as I so often experienced myself. Their record company is RABID when it comes to 'illegal' youtubing )

Don't know if I like it that much really. The song, of course, is awesome. The vid... meh. Very cold, distant, and even 'alien', as if it were a follow-up to the equally c/d/a vid of FOABP's 'Sleep Together'.
Too 'artsy-fartsy' imho. Still, enjoy the song!

(I'm thinking of a username change right now though )

Anathema

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #1864
Anathemaniac

And now for the Purist Proggers out there... does anyone know the truly fantastic, legendary German artrock outfit Grobschnitt?

The Osnabrück band has currently reunited again, to play their masterpiece RockPommel's Land LIVE again!!!

Oh I so want to catch up with one of their announced concerts in October this year. I'm currently looking for fellow Dutch fans to join in.

What a fantastic band. Here's a recent recording, including their singer of old, Mr. Willi Wildschwein , and as I've read, at least one son ('Mr. Nuki') of his on the guitars. Toni Moff Mollo, and Admiral Top Sahne, are involved again as well.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #1865
Anathemaniac

Godheavens. I just HAVE to post it.

OMG that Rio audience. The band themselves didn't know what hit them there at Rio, a crowd of about 140,000 folks singing along...

No his mind is not for rent,
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is!

That sounds like me.

Anathema

Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #1866
country flag opeth84

opeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post

The band I've seen perform at least three times each year since 1997.
And yes, their latest is a cracker. Album #8, finally there after 8 long years of waiting, but what a masterpiece it is. Album of the Year so far for me, no wonder with that awesome job Master S.W. did for them. My Archives-review can be found over here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=285158
(though... I still rate 'Judgement' as their ultimate best )
It really is an amazing album.The production is just godly Good review too i think you hit the nail on the head on all points. Finally they may get the acclaim they deserve as you said they have travelled under the radar for far too long now. In fact a good friend of mine who shares a very similar taste in music to my own has only just discovered them through our album trading. Ive started him off from the beginning so he's got along way to go with this band
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #1867
Anathemaniac

Quote:
It really is an amazing album.The production is just godly Good review too i think you hit the nail on the head on all points. Finally they may get the acclaim they deserve as you said they have travelled under the radar for far too long now. In fact a good friend of mine who shares a very similar taste in music to my own has only just discovered them through our album trading. Ive started him off from the beginning so he's got along way to go with this band
Thanks for your kind words, it's not always that easy to write a review on an asset of one of your favs...

Yeah I fear the days when I was always able to meet the band after a gig are OVA now (uhm... did get a hug from Danny again at Graspop ). They already got a headliner tour lined up for the upcoming Autumn in Europe, and sure as hell, some of those venues will be far too small by now to accommodate all those who are interested. Oops.
But all of the acclaim finally getting to them - it's so, SO MUCH deserved!

After some 20 years of promoting my Most Beloved, it looks like I should be out for the looks on some new young bands to promote. I've got a few in my mind - Frenchie outfit Demians have (or rather HAS, as it's just one fellow, Mr. Nicolas Chapel) just released a fantastic second album "Mute", and there's also the Brits from The Pineapple Thief - English, post-prog, K-Scope-artists, friends of Anathema, PT, Riverside, etc. - now where did I hear this before? - whose latest outing "Someone Here Is Missing" is very interesting indeed.

Lots of new interesting things happening in contemporary progrock indeed.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-16-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #1868
Anathemaniac

Van Der Graaf Generator, "Gog"
I was there, I was there, I was THERE!!!
Amsterdam Paradiso 2007. Immaculate.

Peter Hammill & Co.

Anathema

Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #1869
Anathemaniac

Well, how about a contest of "Best, loveliest Prog Song Ever Written" ?

Here's my vote:

The Live Version:

The original version:

Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees

Heavenly.

Anathema

Old 07-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #1870
country flag opeth84

Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees. Good stuff!!

Another band here that is maybe crossing the lines of what is an isn't prog i'd be more inclined to say gothic power metal but swedens Evergrey do get coined progressive metal so thought i;d drop a few tracks here.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 AM   #1871
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees. Good stuff!!
I wouldn't mind getting buried with that one, if ever I would wanted to get buried at all.

Quote:
Another band here that is maybe crossing the lines of what is an isn't prog i'd be more inclined to say gothic power metal but swedens Evergrey do get coined progressive metal so thought i;d drop a few tracks here.
Good stuff mate!

Oh, I am completely over the moon as I just got to know that I'll have tickets to get and see one of progrock's true legends - Grobschnitt, performing Rockpommel's Land LIVE in Dortmund, Germany, October 9th!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!

"Anywhere, my friend..."

Anathema

Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #1872
Anathemaniac

A not-too-bad recording of Anathema's "A Simple Mistake", taped in Chile last year:

"...Moments in time, be the answer, take a chance, or lose it all..."

Yep, that's... life.

Anathema

Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #1873
country flag opeth84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
A not-too-bad recording of Anathema's "A Simple Mistake", taped in Chile last year:

"...Moments in time, be the answer, take a chance, or lose it all..."

Yep, that's... life.

A brilliant track. Damm would kill to see these guys live. The new album is incredible! Will quite likely go down as album of the year for me... well so far at least.
Although still doomy there is an element of hope to every track an seems to be a positive message spread across the album. . The sound bytes on Presence and Hindsight work really well an add to this.

Some floyd influnece here surely

Last edited by opeth84 : 07-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #1874
Anathemaniac

Quote:
A brilliant track. Damm would kill to see these guys live. The new album is incredible! Will quite likely go down as album of the year for me... well so far at least.
I just got my tickets secured for their NL-Zoetermeer "De Boerderij"-gig, upcoming October 13th.
I am on the guestlist as well, but alas, I know how that works, hahaha. Daniel always forgets to inform the venue about that guestlist, , so I just buy my tickets anyhows. I don't mind paying to see my guys play live.

Quote:
Although still doomy there is an element of hope to every track an seems to be a positive message spread across the album. . The sound bytes on Presence and Hindsight work really well an add to this.
Yep, couldn't agree with you more. Well Daniel seems to be very 'Hope'-driven nowadays. I can only hope he won't face a drawback from what to me sound like a bit overdone dose of 'positivism' on WHBWH...

Flopping Hell, yes, this is the Album of 2010.

Quote:

Some floyd influnece here surely
It doesn't show up for me, might it be my browser?

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-27-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #1875
country flag opeth84

Fixed.