Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #151
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

As there's (still!) too little # of ladies (it's getting better, but still ) involved in Prog Music, I herewith present you Dead Can Dance with the immaculate Ms. Lisa Gerrard in a truly starring role as the fantastic singer she is...

Dead Can Dance - "Cantara"

Live performance, just a mite too fast IMHO, but mesmerizing just the same. PS, the performance is followed by an interview with Lisa AND Brendan Perry thereafter...
Boy they performed over here last year, and I couldn't attend that concert... BAAAAHHHH!!!!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 10-06-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #152
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, one from the Antiques Roadshow - Germany's lovely Grobschnitt - "Anywhere" from their FANTASTIC album 'Rockpommel's Land'.

Krautrock, people. Have to say, this is the WORST song on that classic album of theirs, but still... lovely.

Anathema

Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #153
Anathemaniac

And as I'll be visiting all of Porcupine Tree - aka 'Arboretic PORK' - 's upcoming concerts in the Netherlands... here's one of their all time greats:

"Give me the freedom to destroy - give me - Radioactive Toy!!!"

Anathema

Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #154
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

One of the all-time classics. Eternal

jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #155
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
One of the all-time classics. Eternal
Absolutely! The whole 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is of course a timeless album. My favourite track: Epitaph, most definitely in my Personal Top 10 forever.

Anathema

Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #156
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

I see you love Rush, Karin
Here´s one of my faves
Bastille Day!

jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #157
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Absolutely! The whole 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is of course a timeless album.
Absolutely, one of my all time faves.

Last night, darling, I lost my underwear
Sak Noel
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #158
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

New prog is so pedantic.

It's not like you can turn back time.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #159
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
New prog is so pedantic.

It's not like you can turn back time.
Turning back time? Well, the word 'progressive' means exactly the opposite doesn't it? The current truly progressive bands don't mean to copy the Greats of Old, but rather, try to achieve a modern interpretation of this eclectic, elaborate and yes ELEGANT music style - adapting influences of those greats, most often King Crimson, but working them out in a style that surely can be called their own.
For that matter I happen to think that current bands like Tool, The Mars Volta, and of course Porcupine Tree are very, very PROG indeed.

Of course, there are a lot of bands around merely rehashing the style of old - I think of bands like Pendragon and Pallas for instance - but I rather call them 'retro-prog', which is a kind of anomaly really...

No need to explain that I rate the bands who actually come up with something ORIGINAL a lot higher than those who are merely copy-cats.

Anathema

Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #160
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Turning back time? Well, the word 'progressive' means exactly the opposite doesn't it? The current truly progressive bands don't mean to copy the Greats of Old, but rather, try to achieve a modern interpretation of this eclectic, elaborate and yes ELEGANT music style - adapting influences of those greats, most often King Crimson, but working them out in a style that surely can be called their own.
For that matter I happen to think that current bands like Tool, The Mars Volta, and of course Porcupine Tree are very, very PROG indeed.

Of course, there are a lot of bands around merely rehashing the style of old - I think of bands like Pendragon and Pallas for instance - but I rather call them 'retro-prog', which is a kind of anomaly really...

No need to explain that I rate the bands who actually come up with something ORIGINAL a lot higher than those who are merely copy-cats.
What I mean is that progressive rock had its historical background. It's been done, you can't turn back. That's why new stuff is called Neo Prog. They may be progressive, but the whole context is different. The guys in the 60s, 70s, have already pushed the boundaries. What's left to be done won't be done by the way those guys do it today.

That's just my opinion, though. I can understand that you Karin, being involved a lot more in the music world, have a different opinion.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #161
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I see you love Rush, Karin
Here´s one of my faves
Bastille Day!
Awww!!!

Most definitely one of my favs, too.
Rush, still so young, heavy, powerful, emotional... this vid is from 1976, am I right there? Geddy with his SCREECH!!! vocals and his Rickenbacker 4001 (bring that thing BACK, Mr. Gedster!)... hmmm I fell in love with him as a teenager and at times I think I still am.

Quote:
What I mean is that progressive rock had its historical background. It's been done, you can't turn back. That's why new stuff is called Neo Prog. They may be progressive, but the whole context is different. The guys in the 60s, 70s, have already pushed the boundaries. What's left to be done won't be done by the way those guys do it today.
Well, you surely have a point, but you can't stop evolution and further development of the style, and I'm personally very happy to see it happening like it does right now. That would be the same like saying Rembrandt and Van Gogh have defined the standards of the art of painting, so there's no need to try any further... - okay, I'm exaggerating, of course.

Right now, the scene is alive & kicking, with bands easily drawing crowds of 1000 - 5000 people at concerts, and I can't express how happy I am to see that. But of course... Purist Progrockers will always dispute their level of 'prog' - I always have to at those threads at progarchives, where at least once every day a new thread is started "[insert name of modern band X here] isn't prog!11!!11", whereafter a fine tard war between Dream Theater Fanboys and Purist Proggers evolves... Bring out the beer and popcorn, folks!

Quote:
That's just my opinion, though. I can understand that you Karin, being involved a lot more in the music world, have a different opinion.
No prob, Gu.
Yeah, of course, as I'm out on the hunt daily for new talent, that might well blur my vision at times - but just as I do honour the Greats of Old, I just enjoy it equally when I discover a new band trying to do honour to those and do well (looks anxiously at new pile of 20 CDs with prog from Spain (check out 'Albatross', exquisite ProgAndalus!), Mexico, Russia, Australia, and even Turkey and Israel, which I haven't yet found time for to properly listen to... )!

For a lighter touch, I thought it nice to post this vid here, where two contemporary Prog Greats Steven Wilson (PT) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) battle it out between the two of them - which of them knows their classics best?

Mr. SW completely TRASHES his opponent, here - and let me ask you folks, how many of those answers did you get right?

Anathema

Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #162
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Yeah, I wish I was still involved in the music "world". I'd be definitely playing just like Squire nowadays.

One thing I'm kind not flexible though. Prog metal isn't prog. Prog metal is a pedantic version of metal where players are more interested in showing off than anything. It's like Fusion Metal.

I'm sure you older proggers already know this band, but I never hear them around, so I'm gonna post a video of them. The German version of ELP.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #163
Anathemaniac

Red face Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Yeah, I wish I was still involved in the music "world". I'd be definitely playing just like Squire nowadays.
Oh, I'm sure you would, Gu.
No kidding, I'm a pretty good bass (sorry: RICKENBACKER 4001! ) player myself. Still, when I was trying to do my job at a certain concert on a cover on Rush' 'Witch Hunt', this lovely fellow came over to me, saying, "Can I give it a try, Karin?" - and he played along all those notes which had made me *break my fingers* in the predecent past of weeks, right THERE, if it wasn't a problem at all...

Martin Thoolen, as that's the guy I'm talking about, is 5Bridges's bass player right now. I acknowledged HIS mastership, and so did he did mine.
I'm his manager right now.

Let me tell you, he cracks out Yes' Soundchaser as if it's nothing.

Quote:
One thing I'm kind not flexible though. Prog metal isn't prog. Prog metal is a pedantic version of metal where players are more interested in showing off than anything. It's like Fusion Metal.
- You'd do an excellent job at progarchives.com as a major Purist ProgRock Tard, Gu.

Quote:
I'm sure you older proggers already know this band, but I never hear them around, so I'm gonna post a video of them. The German version of ELP.
Triumvirat.

Sorry, hope you don't mind me laughing for a bit, but you accuse progmetallers for 'overdoing it', and what do I see in that vid?
I see quite a mite of "trying to overcome the notes-per-second-record", if I might say so...

But hey Gu, do you know the Japanese bands Gerard and Ars Nova? I'm sure you'd like them.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 10-10-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #164
Anathemaniac

Like I said: ARS NOVA!!!

Ladies Power, here, folks.

Keiko Kumagai, the female impersonation of Keith Emerson.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 10-10-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #165
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure you would, Gu.
No kidding, I'm a pretty good bass (sorry: RICKENBACKER 4001! ) myself. Still, when I was trying to do my job at a certain concert on Rush''Witch Hunt', this lovely fellow came over to me, saying, "Can I give it a try, Karin?" - and he played along all those notes which had made me *break my fingers* in the predecent past of weeks, right THERE, if it wasn't a problem at all...

Martin Thoolen, as that's the guy I'm talking about, is 5Bridges's bass player right now. I acknowledged HIS mastership, and so did he did mine.
I'm his manager right now.

Let me tell you, he cracks out Yes' Soundchaser as if it's nothing.

- You'd do an excellent job at progarchives.com as a major Purist Tard, Gu.

Triumvirat.

Sorry, hope you don't mind me laughing for a bit, but you accuse progmetallers for 'overdoing it', and what do I see in that vid?
I see quite a mite of "trying to overcome the notes-per-second-record", if I might say so...

But hey Gu, do you know the Japanese bands Gerard and Ars Nova? I'm sure you'd like them.
But that's original, Karin. Also you can see the music going somewhere - it's not just dexterity for the sake of it. If you say that's overdoing, then what's ELP?

Well, Triumvirat has a different flavor - the same way Banco had.

About my bass playing abilities, before I quit I used to play Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca on bass.

I just love Squire's tone, though... I had a different tone - sometimes I think about playing again just to sound like him.