Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 103 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #1531
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
So true, Fabió! Well, I happen to think their FIRST ever album, "When Dream and Day Unite" was by far their BEST one. Kick me with it!
Much of that has to do with the fact that I consider Charlie Dominici a more 'attractive' singer than James LaBrie. Dunno, personal taste I guess, I know many folks disagree with me on this...
Well, actually, if I had to choose between the two I would probably go for LaBrie (but you wouldn't want to know how much time it took me to tolerate his voice, though...)... I really admire all their efforts until "Scenes From a Memory", which is my favourite album, and I still find "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and "Train of Thought" to be two excellent albums (specially the first one). But all of their recent efforts disappointed me a bit (not to say a lot), specially this last one, which seems to be completely "shallow". And talking about shallow:

(too bad that this video is awful, though)

Quote:
BTW, am still pondering about my review on PT's concert. It's very hard to describe what happened out there without becoming all fanboy-ish, .

At least I've been able to dig up the complete setlist:

Occam's Razor
The Blind House
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing the Line
The Incident
Your Unpleasant Family
The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train
Time Flies
Degree Zero of Liberty
Octane Twisted
The Seance
Circle of Manias
I Drive the Hearse
----------------
Start of Something Beautiful
Russia on Ice (first part)
Anesthetize (heavy section)
Lazarus
Strip the Soul
.3 (coda)
Normal
Bonnie The Cat
--------
The Sound of Muzak
Trains

Hey btw, if you happen to see a lot of folks appearing at Heavy Concerts wearing FLAMING PINK-t shirts (in stead of the usual 'black with band logo') - those are the Porcy Heads. Just - I'll post a piccie of it soon.
Great, great setlist. Like I said, wouldn't mind at all if the concert over here was a perfect replica of yours. An who are those Porcy Heads, btw?
"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Black Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #1532
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Well, actually, if I had to choose between the two I would probably go for LaBrie (but you wouldn't want to know how much time it took me to tolerate his voice, though...)... I really admire all their efforts until "Scenes From a Memory", which is my favourite album, and I still find "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and "Train of Thought" to be two excellent albums (specially the first one). But all of their recent efforts disappointed me a bit (not to say a lot), specially this last one, which seems to be completely "shallow". And talking about shallow:
LaBrie . Problem is, he can be 'okay' (or even GOOD, for instance on Ayreon's "The Human Equation") on CD, but live...

I couldn't even get into their recent CDs anymore. All I hear is some four 'virtuosos being virtuoso' rather than making music together. It doesn't 'click' anymore. DT's music has become a 'product' more than an effort from the heart, which music should be.

Quote:
Great, great setlist. Like I said, wouldn't mind at all if the concert over here was a perfect replica of yours. An who are those Porcy Heads, btw?
I think the whole "Incident"-cyclus will be a solid given during this tour, but the songs in the second half of the set may well vary. Usually, they have a 'pool' of songs from which they choose the eventual setlist for that particular evening. I'd count on them including 'Normal' though, looks like Steven is rather in love with that song.

Well one of the reasons the setlist varies per evening is the fact that the hard-core part of their fans (the Porky Heads, indeed) make up such a huge percentage - many folks attend more than one show.
In hindsight, I should gone to attend the Brussels show as well.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #1533
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

Karin, since you're such a HUGE Monty Python fan, I saw this and thought of you

the man giggling

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #1534
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LaBrie . Problem is, he can be 'okay' (or even GOOD, for instance on Ayreon's "The Human Equation") on CD, but live...

I couldn't even get into their recent CDs anymore. All I hear is some four 'virtuosos being virtuoso' rather than making music together. It doesn't 'click' anymore. DT's music has become a 'product' more than an effort from the heart, which music should be.
When I saw them, two years ago, his voice was surprisingly "good", actually. And I say surprisingly because, yeah, we are perfectly aware of his "live standards"...

I'm not believing that someone actually uploaded a whole Tantra song in Youtube!

"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #1535
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

They were great, really great

jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #1536
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I saw them, two years ago, his voice was surprisingly "good", actually. And I say surprisingly because, yeah, we are perfectly aware of his "live standards"...
I so remember DT headlining at Bospop 2000 - best festival I ever attended, with Anathema, Porcupine Tree, and The Flower Kings playing there while all of them were still 'Great Unknowns'...

LaBrie was AWFUL. I bumped into Anathema's Vinnie Cavanagh that night, who was partying away - in fact, I draw him out of the mud where he fell into, as it was raining cats & dogs - and all he could react when I helped him back on his legs again, was, "Goody I am an AWFUL singer but please, please assure me I'm not as bad as HIM!"

Quote:
I'm not believing that someone actually uploaded a whole Tantra song in Youtube!

That's just wonderful. Great band, great track, thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
They were great, really great

Very, very underrated band indeed.
My favourite of theirs:

"In Every Dreamhome, A Heartache"

"...I blew up your body, but you blew my mind..." -

Absolutely fantastic, mind-blowing stuff.

Anathema

Old 10-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #1537
country flag Black Dog

Quote:
I so remember DT headlining at Bospop 2000 - best festival I ever attended, with Anathema, Porcupine Tree, and The Flower Kings playing there while all of them were still 'Great Unknowns'...

LaBrie was AWFUL. I bumped into Anathema's Vinnie Cavanagh that night, who was partying away - in fact, I draw him out of the mud where he fell into, as it was raining cats & dogs - and all he could react when I helped him back on his legs again, was, "Goody I am an AWFUL singer but please, please assure me I'm not as bad as HIM!"
I think Vinnie was talking about stuff like this:

But yeah, I must agree with some guys who posted comments on this video. It's probably not that easy, for a guy in his 40's, to hit all those notes flawlessly, night after night... Which doesn't mean that we can't laugh with these cool things!

And what I'll post next, well... I don't know if it can be considered prog or not (and a lot of people wouldn't even classify it as "music" ), but for sheer brilliance and undeniable proof of Gavin Harrison's God status, here it goes:

Old 10-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #1538
Anathemaniac

Quote:
I think Vinnie was talking about stuff like this:

But yeah, I must agree with some guys who posted comments on this video. It's probably not that easy, for a guy in his 40's, to hit all those notes flawlessly, night after night... Which doesn't mean that we can't laugh with these cool things!

That's absolutely terrible, and quite like I remember him from the last time I watched DT play live.

I don't think being over 40 is an excuse btw - let's see, Bruce Dickinson is in his 50's, Geddy Lee is 58, Ronnie James Dio 65, and Peter Hammill is... 68 , and I've all seen them perform live in the past two years - from decent to near-to-perfect. (Ronnie Dio, especially, must be a freak of nature, as he still manages to sound exactly like 25 years ago ). Even 'youngster' Mr. S.W. is already 42 years of age btw.

I just get the impression that LaBrie, despite being technically very well trained, isn't really a singer by nature (if that makes any sense - I mean, he always sounds like he's just trying too hard or something the like) and/or treated his vocal cords very badly indeed in the past 30 years.
Well, kinda cool that he still gets away with it. Nice of those DT fans.

Quote:
And what I'll post next, well... I don't know if it can be considered prog or not (and a lot of people wouldn't even classify it as "music" ), but for sheer brilliance and undeniable proof of Gavin Harrison's God status, here it goes:
Well people who don't think this is 'music' are either gangsta rap-fans or should really have their ears checked (most probably BOTH, ).

I'd surely classify it as prog, though obviously of the free-jazz related type which isn't really my thing, but the way Harrison is carrying it off here is absolutely amazing - like you say, clearly cementing his Drummer God-status. The only others I can think off to be able to carry out this kind of stuff so perfectly would be Mr. Bill Bruford and Mr. Neil Peart - Drummer Gods themselves.

Great stuff, thanks for posting!

Anathema

Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #1539
Anathemaniac

Tee-hee! Just look who's the current #3 on ProgArchives' Highest Scoring Albums of 2009 List!

Nope, it's NOT PT.

Anathema

Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #1540
country flag Black Dog

Quote:
Tee-hee! Just look who's the current #3 on ProgArchives' Highest Scoring Albums of 2009 List!

Nope, it's NOT PT.
Hmmm, I suspected that it would be 5bridgeS...

Well, back from Progressive Nation! As I was expecting, only Opeth themselves were more than worth the price I paid for the ticket! For 60 minutes, they had a really cool setlist, with Heir Apparent, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, The Lotus Eater, Windowpane, Deliverance and Hex Omega! Mikael's growls were as good as always and his clean voice was absolutely awesome, specially on Hex Omega!

As for Dream Theater, well, they opened and closed with musics from the new album (and played another one somewhere in the middle of the show), one or two from Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, but what mattered to me is that they played The Mirror, Lie and The Dance of Eternity and yeah, they didn't need to play nothing more! Specially because LaBrie (who was being very tight, he even pulled The Mirror almost flawlessly) produced one of those cool things like the one in the video above (but not so bad, though ) while singing In The Name of God... I never listened the new album with much attention, and I just saw today that they actually have a part in the last song of the new album with some kind of Pink Floydian atmosphere, probably the best part of the song!

As for the first two bands, Bigelf and Unexpect, I checked them in MySpace and since they weren't my cup of tee, I stopped by in a restaurant with my brother and a friend of mine eating and seeing my great Benfica "giving an open hand" to Everton! And from today, I'm officially an economist. Still an unemployed one, but nevertheless...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:15 AM   #1541
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi there CD!

Ah, I think I just matched your adoration for Rafa with my adoration for PT.
Nothing serious...

who is "PT" Karin?

my most favorite player of all time is Muster. vilas is 2nd then comes the clay monster. borg, guga, and bruguera complete my list.

Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #1542
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Hmmm, I suspected that it would be 5bridgeS...
- I SWEAR I had nothing to do with it. Nothing.

Quote:
Well, back from Progressive Nation! As I was expecting, only Opeth themselves were more than worth the price I paid for the ticket! For 60 minutes, they had a really cool setlist, with Heir Apparent, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, The Lotus Eater, Windowpane, Deliverance and Hex Omega! Mikael's growls were as good as always and his clean voice was absolutely awesome, specially on Hex Omega!
Nice to hear you had such a great time. That really IS an awesome setlist, though it's always a bit painful for me to realize I've never heard Deliverance live played by Martin Lopez... - but at least Hex Omega is back on the list. Great song, imho the best of Ghost Reveries.

Quote:
As for Dream Theater, well, they opened and closed with musics from the new album (and played another one somewhere in the middle of the show), one or two from Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, but what mattered to me is that they played The Mirror, Lie and The Dance of Eternity and yeah, they didn't need to play nothing more!

Specially because LaBrie (who was being very tight, he even pulled The Mirror almost flawlessly) produced one of those cool things like the one in the video above (but not so bad, though ) while singing In The Name of God... I never listened the new album with much attention, and I just saw today that they actually have a part in the last song of the new album with some kind of Pink Floydian atmosphere, probably the best part of the song!
- Send in more Pink Floyd-fanboys! Looks like the complete durrent prog-rock scene is made up out of those, with Steven Wilson, Danny Cavanagh and Pjotr Grudzinski (who I'll be seeing perform with his Riverside coming Wednesday ) being the main culprits.

Quote:
As for the first two bands, Bigelf and Unexpect, I checked them in MySpace and since they weren't my cup of tee, I stopped by in a restaurant with my brother and a friend of mine eating and seeing my great Benfica "giving an open hand" to Everton! And from today, I'm officially an economist. Still an unemployed one, but nevertheless...
I rather like Bigelf myself, quite an interesting band. They've been around for some ten years now, once seen them at the Bospop Festival a couple of years ago (don't ask me which year ), where they were introduced as the proverbial 'unknown, but interesting' band. I haven't heard anything of Unexpect as of yet.

I agree with you, sometimes you just decide to skip the 'less interesting' bands to be able to fully enjoy the ones you actually came for in the first place. It sometimes just gets... too much. On the other hand, just allowing yourself to undergo an unknown band at times brings forth the discovery of bands you'll find yourself to love later on. Paatos and Oceansize come to mind as such 'discoveries' to me.

Congrats on becoming an economist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
who is "PT" Karin?

my most favorite player of all time is Muster. vilas is 2nd then comes the clay monster. borg, guga, and bruguera complete my list.
- well, most of the time, we're talking about some other kind of String Lords over here CD. Musicians! I surely see quite a few resemblances between the talent and hard work players of any kind have to put in though...

As for PT, you need to look no further than my siggie.
It's my most esteemed current prog-rock band, lead by composer, guitarist, singer and producer Steven Wilson (mostly referred to as 'Mr. S.W.', Maestro, or Master Wilson), who I consider to be a true genius.

Anathema

Old 10-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #1543
country flag Black Dog

Quote:
- Nice to hear you had such a great time. That really IS an awesome setlist, though it's always a bit painful for me to realize I've never heard Deliverance live played by Martin Lopez... - but at least Hex Omega is back on the list. Great song, imho the best of Ghost Reveries.
Yeah, you really feel how good Lopez was in songs like Deliverance... Specially in the part before that long riff which they repeat at the end of the song (where Mikael is singing "deliverance, thrown back at me/ deliverance, laughing at me"), Lopez had this great jazzy rhythm between the ride and the snare with lots of dynamics... Listening to Axe "hammering" all those beats was a bit painful... Of course he's a great drummer too, and he executed every song really well (specially The Lotus Eater, Heir Apparent and Hex Omega, since they were already thought to "suit" his approach on drumming), but Lopez was Lopez...

Quote:
- Send in more Pink Floyd-fanboys! Looks like the complete durrent prog-rock scene is made up out of those, with Steven Wilson, Danny Cavanagh and Pjotr Grudzinski (who I'll be seeing perform with his Riverside coming Wednesday ) being the main culprits.
You don't want to know how I envy you right now! Since I saw them opening for Dream Theater in 2007 that I've been waiting for them to come here... And since, at that time, I wasn't familiarized with them, the desire to see them is even bigger... Oh well, I had to wait almost 3 years to see Opeth again, so I'll wait one more while I wish them to come back!

Quote:
I rather like Bigelf myself, quite an interesting band. They've been around for some ten years now, once seen them at the Bospop Festival a couple of years ago (don't ask me which year ), where they were introduced as the proverbial 'unknown, but interesting' band. I haven't heard anything of Unexpect as of yet.

I agree with you, sometimes you just decide to skip the 'less interesting' bands to be able to fully enjoy the ones you actually came for in the first place. It sometimes just gets... too much. On the other hand, just allowing yourself to undergo an unknown band at times brings forth the discovery of bands you'll find yourself to love later on. Paatos and Oceansize come to mind as such 'discoveries' to me.
Well, between the two, Bigelf where the ones who left me more like "should I go or not?", but since Opeth where schedule to start playing more or less at 20:30, we decided to stop by in a restaurant, eat quietly and slowly (and believe me, I eat VERY slowly ) and watch the football match (a good portuguese has to be a football tard )!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #1544
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Yeah, you really feel how good Lopez was in songs like Deliverance... Specially in the part before that long riff which they repeat at the end of the song (where Mikael is singing "deliverance, thrown back at me/ deliverance, laughing at me"), Lopez had this great jazzy rhythm between the ride and the snare with lots of dynamics... Listening to Axe "hammering" all those beats was a bit painful... Of course he's a great drummer too, and he executed every song really well (specially The Lotus Eater, Heir Apparent and Hex Omega, since they were already thought to "suit" his approach on drumming), but Lopez was Lopez...
That EXACTLY describes my feelings about Lopez. What a loss!

Just another showcase of Lopez' majestical performance on the drums:

Damnation's "Closure"...

"... In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness..."
- and right THERAFTER... Martin Lopez's showcase.

Quote:
You don't want to know how I envy you right now! Since I saw them opening for Dream Theater in 2007 that I've been waiting for them to come here... And since, at that time, I wasn't familiarized with them, the desire to see them is even bigger... Oh well, I had to wait almost 3 years to see Opeth again, so I'll wait one more while I wish them to come back!
Riverside is just... awesome. So happy to have discovered them even before their debut album Out of Myself even came out, bless my dear fellow Anathemaniacs!
To make you even more jealous, I'll be seeing them TWICE coming week. Wednesday in Haarlem, Friday in Zwolle.

Quote:
Well, between the two, Bigelf where the ones who left me more like "should I go or not?", but since Opeth where schedule to start playing more or less at 20:30, we decided to stop by in a restaurant, eat quietly and slowly (and believe me, I eat VERY slowly ) and watch the football match (a good portuguese has to be a football tard )!
- I fully understand.

Anathema

Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #1545
country flag Black Dog

Oh boy, twice is too much for me to take!

Jesus, I've been writing "where" instead of "were" all over the place! My english needs a revision urgently...

Oh, and Closure is just !