John McEnroe Snr. (father of John & Patrick) Has Applied to be ATP President - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
country flag Veronique

Veronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond repute
Default John McEnroe Snr. (father of John & Patrick) Has Applied to be ATP President

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4601844.ece

The Net Post: John McEnroe for President
John McEnroe senior fancies a stint as ATP chief, plus the end of )

Could Etienne de Villiers be under threat from John McEnroe senior?
Neil Harman

The Net Post is back after a three week hiatus in which time the tennis world has been blessed with remarkable stories. Rafael Nadal became the Olympic champion on top of his many wonders at Wimbledon and the French Open, Elena Dementieva won the women's gold medal for Russia and tossed away her bridesmaid's attire, Roger Federer jigged about like a demented man when he won doubles gold for Switzerland with Stanislas Wawrinka, Andy Murray won a Masters Series title in Cincinnati, his first. Maybe we should holiday more often.

And last but by no means least, Etienne De Villiers, the executive chairman and president of the ATP decided to stand down from his twin posts, just when he looked to have positioned the men's governing body where he wanted it.De Villiers gave a farewell speech to the players at Flushing Meadows on Saturday which was brief and to the point, the reaction to his announcement was polite. No tears were shed, by all accounts.

And so who is next for the hottest seat in the sport? Might this be the time for the twin governing bodies of tennis, the ATP and the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour to seriously consider becoming one and promoting Larry Scott, the chief executive of the women's tour and a former ATP politico, to take command of both entities. It would be controversial but worth considering, even if the men may find it hard to swallow what might be construed as a takeover.

De Villiers, a former Disney executive (something certain players never allowed him to forget) is likely to find himself a plum job somewhere else in sport - my money is on a role in the vibrant but confused world that is international cricket - but will remain in his post until the end of the year so there is not a vacuum into which the new man/woman would have to step.

John McEnroe has not been slow in suggesting it is time for a Tennis Commissioner of tennis i.e. him along the lines of the US PGA golf tour, and John McEnroe, the Net Post learns, has applied for the ATP post. Not junior, but senior. The 73-year-old patriarch of the McEnroe clan - who used to carry in his suit pocket the British tabloid cuttings about his son he did not like and brandish them in the writers' face when they crossed paths - has let it be known that he would like to be considered for the role. He has written the following letter to administrators, agents and players, including Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, the No.1 and No.2 players in the world.

It reads....

Gentlemen: As you all probably know, I am the father of John, Mark (my "normal son," the lawyer) and Patrick McEnroe. I have met some of you at various tournaments, Davis Cup ties, etc.

To get promptly to the point, I am interested in succeeding Etienne de Villiers as Chairman of ATP Tour, Inc. I am strongly of the view that the best interests of men players, particularly the top ranked players, have been very badly served by Mr de Villiers, to put it mildly, and by his predecessors.

The rules for participation on the Tour are an abomination. My own view is that NO player should be required to play in ANY TOURNAMENT if he doesn't wish so to do. Also, as long as a player's ranking entitles him to entry, he should be able to enter any tournament without requiring a minimum of tournaments each year. This is a position I have held for over thirty years.

You are all too young to remember that, in the early 1980s, I represented the "quintessential quintet" (Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors, Vitas Gerulaitis, McEnroe (John) and Guillermo Vilas), in negotiations with the Men's International Professional Tennis Council ("MIPTC") over newly proposed rules. Those rules included proposed "hard designations" by the MIPTC for the top hundred players on the ATP computer. You will not be surprised that the QQ were not happy with that proposal. We were able to negotiate an arrangement whereby the QQ and the Council agreed in advance what the "designations" would be.

I am aware that the Mercedes-Benz international sponsorship of the Tour ends at the end of this year and will not be renewed. As your new Chairman, it would be a major priority of mine zealously to work to find a new sponsor. Also, I would work diligently to find opportunities to monetize various aspects of the Tour in order to ensure its financial foundation is solid.

Additionally, I have represented John and Patrick in connection with all of their legal needs. This includes all of their broadcasting contracts with BBC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, Tennis Channel and Australia's Channel 7, agreements with respect to special events, endorsement agreements with Nike, Dunlop, Wilson, Snauwert, Sergio Tacchini, etc., not to mention a myriad of endorsements for companies not directly involved with tennis, book contracts and so on. I know and have interfaced with all the constituencies in professional tennis for many years.

Finally, I am currently Of Counsel to the internationally recognized law firm, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison LLP, where I practiced commercial law since 1967. From 1974 through 2000, I was a partner in the Corporate Department.

I would be most pleased to meet in person at a convenient time and venue (the US Open site?) with any or all of you, your agents and anyone else you deem appropriate. Please feel free to call or e-mail me with any questions, comments or suggestions you may have. Thank you all in advance for your consideration of this proposal.

Sincerely,

John P. McEnroe

For what it's worth, the Net Post thinks it is all rather a marvellous idea. And, after all, the leader of the free world may be about to elect as a President someone McEnroe's age.

Last edited by Veronique : 08-24-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Veronique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John McEnroe Has Applied to be ATP President

Interesting.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
country flag Veronique

Veronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond reputeVeronique has a reputation beyond repute

I dare believe he would have players' interest at heart, being a tennis dad and all.
Veronique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronique View Post
I dare believe he would have players' interest at heart, being a tennis dad and all.
Yeah this is key for me, I wouldn't mind seeing John as president as I definitely believe the majority of his decisions would benefit the players.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be serious.

Anyway...

Quote:
Gentlemen: As you all probably know, I am the father of John, Mark (my "normal son," the lawyer) and Patrick McEnroe.
Since when a lawyer is a normal person?
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
country flag Geo

Geo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond reputeGeo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he knows the player's perspective since he had 2 pro sons, so if he gets it, he could be very popular. I wonder if he would be able to balance what the players want/need with what's best for business/what the fans want though?

The players blame ETV for being too business-minded, but it wouldn't be good for anyone if the next president didn't know anything about business.

Last edited by Geo : 08-24-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Geo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

I think he'd be as successful as he was as a television host.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How old is John McEnroe's dad?
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

As Bodo points out the biggest obstacle to JMac Sr taking the role is that he is American. It will take a lot to regain the trust of the European and South American players who were so alienated by ET.

The good news is he's not tied to the existing PTB and has worked for the players.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Would be better than Mr Disney because he has actually played the sport and knows what it means.

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
How old is John McEnroe's dad?
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #12
country flag bluefork

bluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
I think he'd be as successful as he was as a television host.
I think you've got the wrong John McEnroe in mind. It's his dad.
bluefork is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

He actually would likely be a good choice. Unlike his (older) son, he's quite an easy-going, gracious person. And he's well-respected.
MusicMyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this idea; I understand he does have business sense so bringing that to the table along with player's needs and wants would be great.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #15
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's more then able.

He knows the sport inside and out, the players would have his ear, he knows marketing and he's a commercial lawyer.

I don't know who else is more fitting. Maybe several years ago what the ATP needed was better marketing. Not today, they need to re-establish trust with the top players, and fix the mess with the TV broadcast rights.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote