To old? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
country flag inFamous Razr

inFamous Razr is on a distinguished road
Default To old?

Well I have been wanting to play tennis for awhile now. I would like maybe play competitively, like local tournaments and such. But I'm 19, is that to old to start to play cometitively? and if anyone has any idea's on what equipment to get for a beginner would help, if you can post some sites where I can buy stuff. Don't really have an idea for a budget right now, but lower price is better.

P.s Hello everyone! Sorry my first post is a question, just in case some of you frown upon that, I just want to get into the sport.

Thanks, Razr
inFamous Razr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To old?

Well I'd have a few sessions with your friends first. See how much you enjoy the game. You're definitely not too old though, if you have a talent for the game it should only take you a year or so to get to a good local standard.

For racquets, I'd recommend something oversize and around 10oz in weight. Don't spend too much on your first racquet, as I'm sorry to tell you, you may find that you suck at the game or just don't enjoy it. Get something nice and cheap, then once you improve move onto a heavier racquet with a smaller headsize and you can start worrying about brands / cost, and of course things like coaching which will set you back even more financially.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute

What ever your level there is ALWAYS someone who can beat you.

If you get too hung up on the winning and losing, you'll miss the point of playing tennis.

Those who get the most from tennis
1 try to be proud of their performance,
2 get healthy exercise, and
3 most importantly have FUN!

You're never too old to do those things.

my advice is to save up and get one of these amazing racquets:-
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...RINCE-GRO.html
Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

I took up tennis a year ago, then aged 18. I'd certainly rank it as one of the best decisions of my life. Of the 12 months I've been playing I think I've missed 4 months through injury and have still managed to reach a decent level.

As has already been said, as long as you don't get too caught up in the winning and losing of matches. Especially when you're beginning there is plenty to be learned in every situation in every match, the scoreline is not the only important thing, when starting out I wouldn't place much if any importance on the score and the most important thing is that it's a rewarding experience. When I'm playing matches I've got to try and find that balance of intensity and fun, it's not always easy but it's always time well spent

btw if you're pretty sure that you're going to take it up then I'd definitely recommend getting coaching (either 1on1 or in group sessions which are cheaper). Tennis can be expensive, having been at it for a year I have spent hundreds of euro.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #5

Alright thanks guys. I wouldnt get to caught up in winning and losing. I just thought playing competitively will help build my skills. I will be looking into a coach next week hopefully.

Last edited by inFamous Razr : 08-22-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
country flag Toko

Toko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond repute

If you compete against 12 year old boys, you stand a chance.
Toko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toko View Post
If you compete against 12 year old boys, you stand a chance.
Some of the best players in my club are in this age bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFamous Razr View Post
I will be looking into a couch next week hopefully.
...I'm not sure that it would make much of a difference

But yeah playing matches is great as long as you learn from it.. and you will. Good luck
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #8

Yeah sorry. I was half asleep when I replied. lol
Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #9
country flag Toko

Toko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTG View Post
Some of the best players in my club are in this age bracket
Then your club sucks
Toko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
country flag StevoTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toko View Post
Then your club sucks
Well the national no.1 in this age bracket is in my club, there are also a few other top ranked juniors as well as one of the top coaches in the country at my club... I really don't see how this club sucks
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the replies