Memorable matches - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Memorable matches

I just thought I'd create a thread where we could post about any memorable matches we had/have... or even not so memorable matches if you want to post about them.

Don't be afraid to post in here, giving a match report or just posting scores... I know you might think `who gives a crap?` but you'd be surprised

I've been thinking about a thread like this for a while and decided to post it after the match I was involved in today. You might not be bothered to read this but I'll post it anyway

With gusty winds I was expecting a rather unspectacular match based on consistency and avoiding UE's, but instead was involved in a thriller which I won 6-4 2-6 13-11 (CTB). If I had to pick out the 5 best points I've been involved in probably 4 of them would have come from this rollercoaster. I managed to break at 2-2 but was broken back immediately. I managed to break again at 4-4 to serve for the set, only to find myself at 0-40 before playing a couple of good points (and 1 lucky one where the opponent put a volley wide with me stranded) and taking the set at the second time of asking.

The second set was an even affair but he won all the big points and was very solid. Towards the end of the set I realised that I wasn't moving my feet enough and made the decision to try and cover more of the court and play with more commitment (not to just hope he'd give me the point), I thought I might sneak back into the set but he stepped up and saw me off.

We weren't sure that we'd have the time to play a full third set so we played a Champions Tie-Break, which I won with my 5th match point - he put in a big serve which I returned with a backhand, he shaped up to hit a backhand down the line so I began to move in that direction, as I moved he went to hit crosscourt and wrongfoot me but put the ball in the net.

4 points that I won stick with me particularly - 2 lobs, 1 forehand drive and one point which reminds me of Jimmy Connors at the US Open, I played a short slice backhand which brought him to the net, he went for the winner and my return could only set him up for the overhead, I returned it with a lob which he reached for another overhead, then I tried a passing shot which he reached on the stretch but sat up nicely for me as I rushed to the net to put away the volley.

He played 3 great points that I can remember - 2 forehands placed perfectly on the lines and a lovely passing shot, he also hit some great serves. It was just special.

So any stories
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
country flag Goodia

Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia Goodia
Thumbs up Re: Memorable matches

Hi there, i also like to remember good matches which i have been involved in ...but i mainly play my mate like once or twice a week and up until this day i have only beat him once in the past like year . What i remember most is that i was getting closer to beating him and holding leads but then dropping them leading up to this match so i thought that a win was on the horizon . I would try and think to myself how can i beat him but whatever i tried usually he would get the better of me !

So during this match , which i won 6-4 7-6 and he ultimately forfieted the final set and in doing so the match . The 1st set was a very tight one but i managed to stay strong on my serve and nick a break which secured me the set . The second set was a much closer affair with good shots being traded back and forth. But what i remember most about the match is the tie-breaker and how i won it . The set stuck very tight and no breaks were taken for either of us so the tie-breaker resulted . I remember it quite well i was either 5-1 or 4-1 down and i just thought to myself i can still win this and i managed to come back and take it 10-8 . I was very happy but my mate not so and he threw his racket in frustration and broke it and this resulted in the ending of the match and my first win gainst him in like a year .

I remember this well as i usually play well in patches but somehow that day i kept it all together and won , showing my freind that i can beat him . I have come close many times since but another win has eluded me so far !

Thanks for listening
Goodia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
country flag W!MBLEDON

W!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memorable matches

not particularly interesting but i won my match today 7-5, 6-1 i'm 24 - 9 in singles matches since i first started playing in march 06 and i've won 16 of my last 19
W!MBLEDON is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!MBLEDON View Post
not particularly interesting but i won my match today 7-5, 6-1 i'm 24 - 9 in singles matches since i first started playing in march 06 and i've won 16 of my last 19
Wow, are they league matches or other competitive matches or exhibitions or a mixture? Either way that's impressive stuff!

And Goodia, have you beaten your mate again yet?
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
country flag groundstroke

groundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond repute

Beating a pusher 6-0 6-1 6-4. That was fucking SWEET.
groundstroke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

The most memorable match has to be the first big USTA final I made which was like 2 or 3 years ago. So against all odds, I was playing the best of my life for the tournament and I strangely made it all the way to the final. However in the final, I was extremely nervous for some reason. I had won a few finals prior to the match, but they were mostly smaller one-day events. So I started the match horribly, dumping plenty of my shots into the net. I think I was down 5-1 or 5-2 in the first set so I decided to try to wear my opponent out since he was just a big hitter from the baseline. I was able to bring the game to deuce and then we just kept going from advantage to deuce so many times. We had so many long points during the game which was my plan so that I could wear him out mentally and physically for the rest of the match. Although he ended up winning the first set, my consistency worked on him as at the start of the second set I was able to finally break his serve and then I was suddenly in the zone and completely dominated the second set and the third set 10 point tiebreak.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
country flag W!MBLEDON

W!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond reputeW!MBLEDON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTG View Post
Wow, are they league matches or other competitive matches or exhibitions or a mixture? Either way that's impressive stuff!

And Goodia, have you beaten your mate again yet?
they're competitive matches, i'm 14 and i play best of 3 set matches in section 1 at my club
Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

U play any optus tourneys around Vic W!MBLEDON? (Like Farnkston ones)

I do..
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
country flag W!MBLEDON

nope, i've never actually played a tournament

just club
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

ok. Anyways.. good luck in future club matches.
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
country flag W!MBLEDON

thanks

i do intend on entering some local tournaments soon though, when a flyer is handed out
Old 04-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
country flag W!MBLEDON

won again today

4-6, 6-4, [10-6]

match took 2 hrs 58 mins

was down 4-6, 0-3, *0-40 and 4-6, 1-4 *15-40
Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
country flag chewy

chewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond repute

congrats mate! ...always sweet to come back and win the match after trailing.

Man thinking back I wish i was introduce to tennis earlier, so i could have experiece playing junior comps like you're now W!MBLEDON.

I would love to host a proper local tennis tourney someday, i'll email you a flyer when the day come. :P

As for the thread's Qs...so far no particular match strongly impressed in my mind, but i can remember the intensity "the thrill" in some of the matches I've played in the past, singles and doubles. But most are friendly matches between my tennis mates, i only remember instances, couldn't tell u the full story.
Hopefully more memorable matches have yet to come.
Hyeon Chung | Dennis Istomin | Ze Zhang | Go Soeda | Tatsuma Ito | Yuichi Sugita | Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi | Rohan Bopanna | Danai Udomchoke | Tsung-Hua Yang | Hiroki Moriya | Mao-Xin Gong | Hyung-Taik Lee | Paradorn Srichaphan | Takao Suzuki

Fernando Gonzalez | Max Mirnyi | Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Tommy Haas | Ricardas Berankis | Xavier Malisse | Andreas Seppi | David Ferrer | Juan Martin Del Potro | Tim Smyczek | Olivier Rochus | Victor Troicki | Horatio Zeballos | Lleyton Hewitt | Nick Kyrgios | Mario Ancic | Peter Luczak

ATP Tokyo 2012, ATP Memphis 2013 Champion Kei Nishikori
chewy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
country flag W!MBLEDON

haha many thanks, i played a dude who was 6'3" his serve was so big, but luckily he only managed to land the first serve in about 15% of the time, but his second serve was also really difficult to deal with, there was so much spin on it! he was just really inconsistent which helped me in the end, he had on and off points, when he was on he took control of them all, he had such amazing reach... when he came to the net it was almost impossible to pass and lob him. i played well but to be honest a lot of it was luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

The most memorable match I had was a couple of years ago with my friend, which lasted more than 3 hours I think and which my friend won in 5 tight sets. It was pretty even (though I think that that's the closest I've ever come to beating him :P). Another great one was a tiebreak against the same friend which I finally won 18-16.

A couple of shots spring to mind that I have to mention. Again, one was against the same friend I mentioned before. He was dictating the point and making me run like crazy from left to right. Finally, he hit a shot to my backhand and came to the net. I was pretty far from the ball, but I'm also pretty fast, so I made there just as the ball was about to touch the court for the second time. There must have been only a few centimeters between the ball and the court, but I was able to slide my racket under the ball (I play a one hander) and flick it for a crosscourt passing shot! It was probably the shot of my life and my friend was amazed that I was able to hit a shot like that from that position.
More recently I hit a similar shot against my kid brother, only that time I managed to lob the ball over him. I also hit another nice lob in that match, he hit a great slice approach shot to my feet. The shot clipped the line, but I was able to half-volley a great lob from my feet over him. He couldn't believe it .
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote