Clay season Thread 2008 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clay season Thread 2008

A little recap : Jo won't be playing Monte Carlo because of an injury on his knee. They have made him an injection and he will make a test in the middle of the next week to see if he is still in pain.

Tournament to be played (as of now) :

Munich April 28-May 4
Rome AMS May 5-11
Hamburg AMS May 12-18
Roland Garros May 26-June 8

The clay is near a new surface for him because he skipped the clay season last year and was injured most of the time before. So it's difficult to say what he will be able of achieving on it.
But he says he likes the surface and, like you foreigner may know, he is french and Roland Garros is a special place for us. So he will be very motivated to give us some good results.

As I see it, I think he doesn't really have the best style to play on clay. He's got more of an attacking style for fast surface. But it's possible to be aggressive on clay with some little adjustements and hard work, so we may be very surprised by him in the future.

His most disadvantage ( english ) on clay must be his lack of patience and his trend to frustrate himself when the break don't come early. But he knows how to construct a point and that's going to be very useful.

By the way, it's not only a place for commenting his results, you can also cheer for him, follow his match all together and share with us wathever you think is good for us to hear on him.

Edit: The tests were positives and he just returns to training this week. The come back is planned for Hamburg, Rome at best.

Last edited by MacArthur : 04-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay season Thread 2008

he'll play vs Gilles Simon in the 1st round
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Another article about Jo in Rome here:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/sport/2008/05...ed-a-terre.php
But it's not interesting.
Like in Indian Wells, he's discovering the tournament since it's the first time he's playing there and he likes it.
He appreciates they are well isolated from the fans because it's terrible as soon as he gets closer to the gates, he says - so the journalist adds "better that than not being able to play".
He started playing again on last Thursday only - but it's the same for Gilles, they'll both have 3 days of training only.
Jo means the clay is fast and it suits him.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

And Wino also answers to the "criticisms" about a possibly rushed comeback:
"If the knee is bound to give up on him, it will happen anyway and to play now or in 2 weeks only won't change much in that regard."
Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the updates guys. I hope I'll be able to see the televised match tonight. I wish him all the best of luck, and that he can sustain long periods of match play without discomfort. Hope the faster Rome surface gives him a good grounding for the rest of the clay season. Allez!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
country flag Truc

In l'Equipe today:
Quote:
Tsonga un pied sur terre
« EN SPORT, il n’y a jamais de miracle. » Malgré son sourire accueillant, Éric Winogradsky n’est pas du genre à prétendre qu’il voit la vie en ocre. Aujourd’hui, pour son retour à la compétition depuis sa défaite contre Julien Benneteau à Miami, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga ne mettra pas la victoire au premier plan de ses préoccupations contre Gilles Simon : « Le plus important, c’est son intégrité physique, avoue le coach. Le mot d’ordre est : prendre zéro risque pour le reste de la saison. On suit les consignes du doc que j’ai encore eu au téléphone dimanche soir et on gère sa reprise au jour le jour. »

Tsonga n’a ainsi reçu le feu vert de la faculté pour jouer des points que dimanche. Les deux heures passées sur les courts du Foro Italico, une face à Richard Gasquet, l’autre face à Mario Ancic, se sont bien passées. Mais… « Depuis sa blessure, il n’a pu travailler un peu que le haut du corps, rien à voir avec tous ces gars qui étaient sur les courts quatre à cinq heures par jour, poursuit Winogradsky. Si le règlement n’infligeait pas zéro point à un joueur qui manque un Masters Series quelle que soit la raison, nous ne serions pas là. Mais dans la mesure où il doit faire des matches d’entraînement, autant les faire ici. Ce qui rend les choses encore plus compliquées, c’est que Jo n’a quasiment pas joué sur terre depuis trois ans. » Ce deuxième match sur la surface depuis sa défaite devant Andy Roddick en 2005 à Roland-Garros constituera donc difficilement un marchepied vers la gloire, tout juste une reprise d’appuis. – Ph. B.
Wino means the most important thing clearly is his health and to not jeopardize the rest of the season. The doc said he was able to play on Sunday only. He practiced one hour against Richie and one hour against Ancic then, everything was fine, but... Wino insists on the fact he could only work out his upper body during the injury break, so his preparation is very limited. They only decided to play here because players get a 0 when they miss a Masters Series. But since he needs to practice anyway, why not here? The problem is he has hardly played on clay for 3 years now.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

So in a few words, this match is not part of a competition, it's part of a training session

Still, it's great to have something hot to discuss in this topic, instead of the daily report of injury.

BTW, who will you pull for, Truc ?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
country flag Truc

I know it might be hard to understand for some people, but I would cheer for Gilles Simon over the entire ATP tour.
I'm for Gillou tonight, but I'm scared. I'm sure Jo can play well on clay, I find it pretty annoying when people keep talking about his poor clay record.
Since Jo clearly has the mental edge imo and I don't think Gilles is in much better shape physically, I'm not confident at all.

But I just saw the odds are completely even on Betfair & Co., so I hope the bookies are right.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post
So in a few words, this match is not part of a competition, it's part of a training session

Still, it's great to have something hot to discuss in this topic, instead of the daily report of injury.

BTW, who will you pull for, Truc ?
I really wish I won't discuss in injury anymore .
SelvenluvJo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
country flag martine2
yawn

martine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond repute

Most important for Jo is getting match practice and let's hope the knee will be ok.

Good luck!
martine2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
country flag MacArthur

He lost but whatever.

He was just in need of a training session and he has one of two hours and 20 minutes. That's good enough for me.

The most important thing is to see if the knee hold back and if he feels some pain tomorow.

I am quite sure that with more matches and a win or two, he can make something at Roland. Maybe already at Hamburg next week or at Marrakech.

I was behind a scoreboard, so anyone who've seen this match is welcome to give his impression. I would like to know if Gilou choke at 5/3 and if Jo choke on his three match points, or if it was just a beautifull undecided match.

Edit: GM is as bad as usual. They dare attack a player who don't touch a ball for a month and is still playing with an injury on his knee. Yet the guy found a way to dispute a tough three setter on a surface he practically never played on the three last years.

Some people just amazed me.

You did great, Jo. We are very proud of you.

Last edited by MacArthur : 05-06-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post

Edit: GM is as bad as usual. They dare attack a player who don't touch a ball for a month and is still playing with an injury on his knee. Yet the guy found a way to dispute a tough three setter on a surface he practically never played on the three last years.

Some people just amazed me.

You did great, Jo. We are very proud of you.
Don't pay attention to what is said there. Posters (at least most of them) there are only good for bashing players.
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
country flag Truc

He "choked" in the TB and lost to "Simple Simon", that's as low as it goes for GM, don't worry about that thread!

He was playing poorly during one set and a half imo, but he did well to stay somehow in the match and I didn't find the match that bad from the end of the 2nd set - apart from the two choke jobs, but well, a bit of drama doesn't hurt.
Gilles choked badly at 5-3, but Jo also played a nice game to come back at 5-5 (or 6-6?) then, he was driving Gilles nuts with his dropshots, for example, I thought it was nice to see him vary his game and try to find a solution. He always kept fighting, although he was obviously very rusty, his fitness seemed OK too, so it looked like a very decent effort to me for a first match after only a couple of days of training.
But I was so much into it, I can't really judge.
He was mad at himself after having missed the MP, but didn't look crushed at all during the handshake. He was very gracious in defeat.

Last edited by Truc : 05-07-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
country flag JBdV

JBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond repute

Better luck in Hamburg Jo.
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Tennis Tipping 2009 Results:
Singles: Cherbourg CH W
Doubles: ...
JBdV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #15
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I was unable to see the match because there was problem with DSTV in my region (no signals whatsoever) - horrible timing

But, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that Tsonga played a competitive match, and even had match points. After all, he was 3-5 in the 3rd set, but he still fought on and took the match to a deciding tie-break. And, considering that speed and movement are so essential on clay, he did very well indeed and I'm proud of him.

Our man is a fighter and he always wants to give the best of himself. He has had practically no physical preparation before the clay season on account of his knee injury. He didn't have to play at his best, nor should we expect him to at this time. I think this is a positive start for him. After yesterday, he will be able to assess his physical condition and have a better idea of how much he can extend himself for the rest of the clay season and thereafter. All the best to him.