The Best National Anthem...? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: The Best National Anthem?

Italy 19 13.01%
England 7 4.79%
Russia 38 26.03%
other... 82 56.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #46
country flag Bascule

Bascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Best National Anthem...?

French, english, russian and american.

Anyway, we heard so little number of anthems...there is a lot of them and I don't think (because of that) that this is objective, since we all know for anthems of big countries mainly and vote for them.
Bascule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #47
country flag KitinovRules

KitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond reputeKitinovRules has a reputation beyond repute

Fratelli D'Italia (Inno di Mameli) , by far.
KitinovRules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #48
country flag Herdwick

Herdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond repute

Russia - by a mile. Thank heaven they had the sense to reinstate it, albeit with different words.

Then France and Germany.

Britain's is atrocious - both in lyric and melody. It has absolutely nothing to recommend it.
Herdwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #49
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

englands anthem is emotional
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #50
country flag Leonardo

Leonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond reputeLeonardo has a reputation beyond repute

The national anthem of France is my favorite, that of China is also OK.
Leonardo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #51
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

I LIKE Canada, Japan, Brazil, Russia and Chile.

Don´t like Germany, England, France or Italy.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #52
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

The anthem (although I don't know that it is actually the anthem of any one country) that always brings tears to my eyes is "God Bless Africa" no matter the language it's the music that does it to me every time and the word "Africa" sung so drawn out and prayerful. I like the national anthem of Zimbabwe too.

Classics are, of course, "The International" and "La Marseillaise" Great songs.

Always touching to me is The Star Spangled Banner and also our unofficial anthem, America the Beautiful, because it is pastoral rather than military and has such lovely words.

I hadn't actually heard the Italian national anthem, but listened to it because of this thread. It's rollicking and jaunty. It does seem it would be fun to sing.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #53
country flag Arwyn_75

Arwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond repute

The French and American anthems
Arwyn_75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #54
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
The anthem (although I don't know that it is actually the anthem of any one country) that always brings tears to my eyes is "God Bless Africa" no matter the language it's the music that does it to me every time and the word "Africa" sung so drawn out and prayerful. I like the national anthem of Zimbabwe too.

Classics are, of course, "The International" and "La Marseillaise" Great songs.

Always touching to me is The Star Spangled Banner and also our unofficial anthem, America the Beautiful, because it is pastoral rather than military and has such lovely words.

I hadn't actually heard the Italian national anthem, but listened to it because of this thread. It's rollicking and jaunty. It does seem it would be fun to sing.
The Italian anthem is probably my 2nd favourite because I don't know of any other anthem that gets so much fun and involvement from those around when it's playing... every time I saw an Italian gold medal presentation at the Olympics (ok so they didn't show too many on Aust TV), the whole of the Italian crowd would join in loudly and when Federica Pellegrini was standing for the anthem she clapped along encouraging the Italians to join in. I've remembered over the years Michael Schumacher standing on the podium after a race and the Italian anthem playing for Ferrari and he would wave his hands like a conducter for people to get involved... it's just that kind of tune!
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #55
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed that people dislike the British national anthem. It's very powerful and moving IMO. I think that's my favourite, along with the French's.

Australia's national anthem on the other hand is genuinely a massive disgrace and it was by far time it was changed.
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #56
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

you mean the one they played at the olympics? i didn't like it either. not catchy at all. for a country as succesful in sports as australia it really should be something amazing because we're probably gonna be listening to it a lot over the coming years.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #57
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

If they change our Australian anthem to Waltzing Matilda at any point I will refuse to stand up for it.

There is nothing wrong with Advance Australia Fair!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #58
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i just listened to it again. it is catchy. but i still don't like it.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #59
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

I guess when I've been singing it for over 20 years and had many emotions connected to it that I have grown fond of it and love it as part of our beautiful country. I am not one to embrace change very much so I would find it very hard to change our national anthem!

I'm glad I wasn't old enough to remember our change from God Save the Queen
Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #60
country flag Stensland

i second that. there are things that ought not to be changed. apart from national anthems i'm thinking of national flags - which is not exactly a hot button issue in oceania but has resurfaced over the years, hasn't it? i remember talking to a new zealander some years ago who favored a distinctive flag for his nation instead of the current one.