*Beijing 2008* - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute
Default *Beijing 2008*

Maybe it's easier to make a general thread for all tennis players.

Main link: http://www.franceolympique.com/

First video at Roissy airport yesterday.
(paulo, gael, the girls...)
http://wtatour.fr/showthread.php?p=8627#post8627

Sport Illustrated Olympic Tennis Predictions

Men
Singles
G: Roger Federer, Switzerland
S: Rafael Nadal, Spain
B: Novak Djokovic, Serbia
Hardcourt surface gives Federer the edge over Nadal.

Doubles
G: Bryan & Bryan, U.S.
S: Llodra & Clément, France
B: Federer & Wawrinka, Switzerland
U.S. hasn't won a medal in this event since 1988. (we don't care, france never ever ! )

Women
Singles
G: Venus Williams, U.S.
S: Ana Ivanovic, Serbia
B: Serena Williams, U.S.
Venus did not get a medal in Athens after winning Sydney gold.

Doubles
G: Williams & Williams, U.S.
S: Yan & Zheng, China
B: Stosur & Stubbs, Australia
Serena and Venus won in '00.

Lots of medals for the US lol
Americans seem to fear Micka/Arnaud.... my feelling is that, if they reach the final, arnaud and micka won't lose it ! Especially against the Bryans.

Guy Forget

Last edited by Marine : 08-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Beijing 2008*

Thanks for starting the thread, Marine!

Alleeeeeezzzz!!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
"On parlait avec Tatiana before - euh, avant..."

The other ones are leaving today as far as I know (at least Gilles and Tulasne who said in interviews he will coach the French team, whatever that means).

I can't wait to see them with that delicious outfit for the opening ceremony. ^^

Last edited by Truc : 08-05-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Thanks!
"On parlait avec Tatiana before - euh, avant..."

The other ones are leaving today as far as I know (at least Gilles and Tulasne who said in interviews he will coach for the French team, whatever that means).

I can't wait to see them with that delicious outfit for the opening ceremony. ^^

You mean, with that ridiculous/awful outfit ? LOL
arnaud and micka are leaving today with simon and "tutu".
I don't know why they didn't leave yesterday with the others...

(paulo is cute with this pink polo and black pants, it seems it's official outfit of french athletes in the village).

Good to listen to them, they are so, so happy, proud, excited to play the OG.
Personly I can't understand how it is possible not to want to play this competition, that's so magic !!!
(richard, marion, you're idiot ! I don't hope you to make a great US OPEN ! nahh ! )

Guy Forget

Last edited by Marine : 08-05-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post

This one?
who will bear the French flag?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
country flag Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Very "retro".
no doubt, it's the french outfit ! Not another one. Just miss the baguette and a bottle of wine to compete the cliché of the perfect frenchie lol

Quote:
who will bear the French flag?
Tony Estanguet (canoe kayak), mutli medalled by the past. [/quote]

Guy Forget
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine View Post
richard, marion, you're idiot ! I don't hope you to make a great US OPEN ! nahh !
I do. Courageous decisions against the Olympia-mania mainstream have to be rewarded.

Quote:
Just miss the baguette and a bottle of wine to compete the cliché of the perfect frenchie
and a barret instead of the hat.

Quote:
Tony Estanguet (canoe kayak), mutli medalled by the past.
I am not much in kayaking, but even I seem to remember his name. A fair choice, no?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Americans seem to fear Micka/Arnaud.... my feelling is that, if they reach the final, arnaud and micka won't lose it ! Especially against the Bryans.
But reach the final won't be easy, a first round against the Bryans could be also quite funny ( I think Micka & Arnaud are not seed ? Not sure ? )

Everything will depend of the draw but to my mind Gilles & Gael are outsiders for a medal in single.

The outfit
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
country flag TheEnd

TheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond reputeTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute

French delegation holds flag-raising ceremony juse now

TheEnd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Last news of Tennis delegation :
Quote:
Ca marche pour le tennis
La petite délégation française s'est mise bien vite à l'heure de Pékin. Décidés à rejoindre à pied le site olympique de tennis, Gaël Monfils, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Alizé Cornet, Virginie Razzano, Pauline Parmentier, Tatiana Golovin et les entraîneurs sont partis du village olympique en pensant atteindre leur destination en 20 minutes. De détours, en contrôle de sécurité, ils ont mis 1h30 pour atteindre le site et finir dans une voiturette de golf pour retrouver le court. Un bon échauffement...

Et il en manque cinq...
Si cela marche pour certains au tennis, d'autres ne courent pas vraiment au Club France. Pour la première fois en deux jours, une délégation ne s'est pas présentée au complet au point presse. Arrivés mercredi matin à Pékin, Gilles Simon, Michaël Llodra et Arnaud Clément sont restés se reposer et Pauline Parmentier et Tatiana Golovin sont restées s'entraîner. Juste après la présence des 33 nageurs de la délégation française de la natation, l'absence des joueurs de tennis n'est pas passée inaperçue...
Gaël Monfils, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Alizee Cornet, Virginia Razzano, Pauline Parmentier, Tatiana Golovin and the trainers decided to join the Olympic site by walk. They left the Olympic village by thinking of reaching their destination in 20 minutes. Because of security check, they reached the site in 1H30 and finished in a carriage of golf to find the court.

The small tennis delegation was not complete at the press point . Arrived on Wednesday morning in Beijing, Gilles Simon, Michaël Llodra and Arnaud Clément are remained to rest and Pauline Parmentier and Tatiana Golovin went to train.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

They were the only delegation not showing up with the entire group for the press conference...

Gaëlou seems to enjoy Beijing - and is showing off, as expected!
Monfils fait des RP
TENNIS – Pour faire des rencontres, l’idéal, c’est de coller à Gaël Monfils. Un conseil d’Alizé Cornet, impressionnée par l’aisance et le carnet d’adresse du Parisien: «Il n’arrête pas de me dire: Viens, je vais te présenter à Laure Manaudou, viens je vais te présenter à Teddy Riner! Et moi, je le suis!»

Alizée says the best thing to do is to follow Gaël everywhere, he keeps saying to her "Come with me, I'm going to introduce you to Manaudou / Riner / etc.", she sounds quite impressed.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
country flag soulage

He seems really excited
Quote:
Toute l'année, il parcourt le monde. Toute la saison, il part glaner ses points ATP, saute d'avion en hôtel en club. Mardi, Gaël Monfils s'est posé au village olympique et il savoure comme un junior, assis dans le vestiaire de Roland-Garros à côté de Roger Federer. Dans sa tenue olympique siglée France et d'un autre sponsor que le sien, le demi-finaliste 2008 des Internationaux de France a les yeux de Chimène pour les Jeux Olympiques qu'il vit pour la première fois : «Le village m'a marqué. Voir tous les sportifs, l'ambiance et l'ampleur des Jeux, je trouve cela extraordinaire. J'ai vu Tyson Gay, cela m'a fait plaisir. J'ai rencontré Dirk Nowitski, Pau Gasol, ce sont des idoles. J'adore voir comment cela se passe, échanger avec eux, voir ce que les Jeux Olympiques représentent pour eux.» Comme la plupart des champions français, il a vécu son apprentissage à l'Insep où tous les sports se côtoient et cet environnement multisports lui rappelle à la puissance 1000 ses "jeunes" années.

Pour les sceptiques sur la motivation des joueurs de tennis lors des JO, il suffit juste de regarder Gaël Monfils. Ses yeux brillent comme un enfant devant une vitrine de Noël à l'évocation du village. Chacun connaît son goût pour les sports US, mais Gaël Monfils aime le sport en général et se nourrit de toutes les rencontres. Au village olympique, il est servi. Levé tôt mercredi en raison du décalage horaire, il est sorti discuter avec d'autres athlètes. Peu importe qui, il a juste envie de profiter et de partager. «Cette semaine, je vais aller voir des sportifs pour parler avec eux, voir ce que les JO représentent pour eux et aller voir les sportifs d'expérience comme Olivier Girault (Ndlr : capitaine de l'équipe de France de hand). Je l'aime beaucoup, avoue le Français. On avait un peu parlé ensemble à Paris, je vais essayer d'aller le voir dans la semaine pour lui parler un peu, cela va me faire du bien.»

«Il faut gérer l'excitation»
Parce que l'émerveillement ne doit pas tourner à l'aveuglement, Gaël Monfils ne veut pas perdre de vue son objectif : «Honorer le drapeau français pour la première fois, cela me fait plaisir à 100%. Mais ce que je veux vraiment, c'est ramener une médaille à la France. J'en ai les moyens. L'objectif est fort pour moi, mais je mets la barre encore plus haute parce que je représente la France.» Pour réussir son pari, il doit donc digérer ses problèmes gastriques, en bonne voie de guérison, qui l'ont contraint à l'abandon contre Tommy Haas à Cincinnati et rester centré sur la compétition qui débute dimanche. «Le plus dur sera de gérer l'excitation. Sur le terrain, il ne faut pas avoir envie de trop bien faire, de vouloir trop représenter les couleurs françaises. Il va falloir être entre les deux. Mais c'est extraordinaire, c'est beau et je ne vais pas lâcher, prévient la "Monf" qui se voit bien également avec une médaille en double aux côtés de Gilles Simon. Je sais par exemple que je ne suis pas encore prêt à 100% aujourd'hui, mais j'ai déjà envie de jouer. Je sais qu'il faut que je m'entraîne bien pour arriver au top

La concentration sera donc un élément clé à plusieurs niveaux. Le 42e joueur mondial doit maîtriser ses émotions à l'extérieur et contenir son physique dans des conditions difficiles avec beaucoup d'humidité et de fortes chaleurs étouffantes. Toujours très -voire trop- généreux dans l'effort, Gaël Monfils doit maîtriser ses fameuses glissades et surtout se montrer agressif pour éviter l'usure physique. «Les conditions ne sont pas faciles, il fait hyper lourd. On transpire super vite et énormément. Les balles ne sont pas super, elles s'usent très vite et le rebond est très haut, énumère le Parisien qui est éapulé par Cédric Pioline, responsable du haut niveau masculin à la Fédération, pendant ses JO. Ce sont des conditions que je peux aimer, mais on n'a pas trop le droit d'avoir des sautes de concentration. Il va falloir que je me concentre énormément.» Après avoir rêvé au village, Gaël Monfils veut donc rêver sur le terrain. Quand il avoue qu'il connaît le même état d'excitation qu'avant la demi-finale de Roland-Garros. Ca promet !
Gael is very happy and talks with a lot of athletes in the village. He's amazed and looks at everything with child's eyes. He needs to train to be at his best.

We learn also that the balls bounce is height and as expected the conditions are not easy.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
country flag Marine

Thanks soulage. I don't know this site.
It's so good to see Gael like a child in the olympic village. I understand him so much !
They enjoy everything and want to see other sports, they're right.

Guy Forget
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures time

Paulo and Gael at the press conference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRA_GM_001_Resize.jpg (83.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FRA_PHM_001_Resize.jpg (86.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FRA_PHM_002_Resize.jpg (85.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg FRA_GM_002_Resize.jpg (82.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
country flag Truc

Thanks!
There are a few pics on Getty too, but yours are much better, as usual. Too bad the others were not there for the press conference, they should all have travelled together to begin with.

That is exactly what I was hoping for with Gaël, really enjoying his time there since he always seems so interested in all the sports except tennis!

So they're really training with FFT coaches and not with their own coaches?
[Or has Gaël already sacked Rasheed and that's why he's working with Pioline? Do you know if Wilander, Hagel, Malcor are in Beijing?]

Last edited by Truc : 08-06-2008 at 03:26 PM.