LA Reports, Pics, Videos (Thursday Report Post 91, pics now up) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #61
country flag Xristos

Xristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LA Practice Day Report (Pictures and Videos of everyone now posted)

Cant wait Deb!

Try and take some of Verdasco's match if you can.
Pick-A-Winner (PAW) #33 2014 Gerry Weber Open WINNER
Xristos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #62
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Verdasco has a bye so he's not playing today, sorry...... but maybe he'll practice

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #63
country flag nizelegz

nizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond reputenizelegz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Verdasco has a bye so he's not playing today, sorry...... but maybe he'll practice
Can you take pictures of Safin for me!!
nizelegz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #64
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
No, he was playing qualifying at the time and I was too lazy to take the hike up to those courts unfortunately. If I go back, I will look for him of course b/c he's one of my favorites
They moved qualifying this year from the Sunset Courts to the Sycamore Courts. I think those are a little bit farther away from the tennis center.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #65
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizelegz View Post
Can you take pictures of Safin for me!!
I did And thanks again, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
They moved qualifying this year from the Sunset Courts to the Sycamore Courts. I think those are a little bit farther away from the tennis center.
Yeah, I knew that, but I still wasn't gonna hike up regardless... if it wasn't so uphill I would've thought about it.....but I saw Amer today so all is well

Just got home, gonna write up my report and work on my pics.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #66
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Sycamore was a drive, not a hike, but it's hard to tell just looking at the map. Yeah, you saw Amer now and you've seen McClune before right, you didn't miss anything.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #67
country flag Deboogle!.

Well I could've driven, but that would've meant paying for parking again, so definitely not other people walked up, but I just wasn't in the mood. Yes I have so I'm good gonna start writing my report again, it's gonna be just as boring unfortunately, mostly b/c nothing really interesting happened

Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #68
country flag Fee

No Vinnay bling?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #69
country flag Deboogle!.

no bling, but oh man.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #70
country flag Deboogle!.

Oooooooooookay...... Tuesday report!

Got there a little after 11. Roddick was leaving, I'd be shocked if he had been practicing at 10am, but he was wearing tennis clothes so anything's possible. The one and only Davide Sanguinetti was practicing! Spadea and Grosjean were both warming up for their matches on the stadium, along with Isner. Kind of odd to see Grosjean and Spadea warming up right next to each other. Kind of highlights how tennis is such a strange sport where it's one person against one person yet they still have to see each other so often and stuff. Vinnay's outfit will speak for itself. I was a bit surprised how early Isner was warming up for his match (like 6 hours early?) - most guys seem to warm up about 2 hours before.

Settled in at noon under the shady corner of the stadium for Odesnik/Reynolds, figured it'd be a cracker. And it was. Odesnik came out on FIRE, he was completely controlling play in the first 4 games - Reynolds was scrambling on almost every point to stay in them and somehow broke through and got the break. I have no idea how and these guys behind me were dumbfounded as well. I left late in the first set, but I'm not at all surprised Odesnik came back to win. It was great to see him playing pretty close to the baseline and controlling play. Nice all-court game from both really.

I saw Stoppini was killing Kunitsyn.... no idea why, but I heard later that Kunitsyn was really stiff and didn't warm up before his match, maybe he just woke up in a bad mood or something.

Delic and Dusan Vemic were warming up together. They seemed friendly. Around the same time, Del Potro was hitting with Gicquel.

Watched some of Warburg/Vemic. OK. Vemic is nuts I've never seen anyone scream at himself, throw his racquet, and in general just abuse himself more than this guy. I peeked in during various times and he was always abusing himself some way or another. Anyway, Warburg was the more consistent and certainly the calmer player, and he served for the match in the 2nd and pretty much choked. Vemic won the TB and went on to win. Will be a tough loss for Warburg I think.

I bounced back and forth between that match and Moya and Lopez practicing. The only amusing thing here is that I think Moya and Lopez - who were practicing at the busiest part of the day of course - tried to take a different door out of the fenced practice court - i think they thought if they sneaked out next to the transportation desk that they could avoid the fans? Not sure why they thought that would work, and lo and behold, it didn't But they did sign, so I'm not sure why they bothered. That also means they got into the car without showering. Yum. Oh. Moya really needs a haircut. The Spadea look on him is unbecoming. REALLY unbecoming. Also noticed that Moya was doing a pretty full-on practice session the day of a match, many hours before his match. Interesting to see how different players prepare differently and whatnot. Then Safin came out to warm up a couple hours before his match and generally seemed in a good mood.

Went in to the grandstand to watch the start of the Delic/Sela match. The highlight of the day was surely Sela's superJew fan group. 8 (American) teenage boys had the letters of his name (d u d i s e l a) on their chests, complete with Israeli flags and they were even wearing kippot When he entered the court they chanted "Shalom Dudi" and other random Jewishnesses - Dudi was amused and seemed rather flattered. They stayed there and cheered hard for their man the whole match I saw bits and pieces but it was a fun match. Delic was playing solidly - consistency seems to be his problem and he seemed to be serving big and keeping the errors pretty low and coming to net when he had the opportunities. Nice match in terms of sportsmanship too, they shared a very nice handshake and tummy pat at the end.

In between watching that match I peeked in on Safin/Isner. It was basically what I expected. Marat returned well and Isner made a lot of mistakes off the ground. Highlight here is middle of the first set. Marat has just broken and Isner hits a return winners. Marat, of course, doesn't like this, so what does he do? He challenges his own serve It was on the line so his plan failed, but he gets an A for effort and creativity.

Haas came out to warm up for his match with Falla. Falla's girlfriend was so enthralled by all of this that she sat there doing Sudoku puzzles So, there is this strange man who was there on Sunday and who was there again today. He is middle-aged and seems to be an amateur photographer, and what he does is sit at the practice court (which happens to be right where the players all enter from their cars) and takes pictures and asks for autographs. So he gets Falla's autograph when Falla comes out to hit with Haas. He doesn't know who Falla is, so he's asking people around, who happen to be on the phone, who happened to be Noam Okun, who didn't look to pleased that this freaky middle-aged man with a bizarrely large autograph collection was interrupting his phone call to ask who that was. Anyway I thought Tommy looked really solid and focused in his warmup, just like he looked in his practice on Sunday. Except that I can't figure out who's out there training with him. Is Dean Goldfine not his coach anymore? This guy was definitely coaching Tommy, in English (but with an accent), telling him to attack 2nd serves and stuff. But now that Young has beaten him very easily, I'm pretty shocked considering how good Haas looked especially off the backhand. Very strange.

I watched a little doubles and then made my way out and stumbled upon Verdasco giving an autograph session. This is one top guy. He kept thanking the fans and seemed really genuine with everyone who asked for a pic and kept smiling and saying you're welcome and just in general being really nice. I know, it's a planned autograph session but they do 1-2 a day at the LA tourney and in years past I have seen other players be pretty biatchy in them. So my estimation of Verdasco just keeps growing

Also just a general statement that the LA tennis fans seem really knowledgeable. They know who most of the players are and really appreciate good shots/points and good tennis. While Moya and Lopez were practicing, so were a couple doubles players and they were doing practice points and they played this really great scrambling/volleying/etc. point and the people watching even clapped for this in practice. Also, all day long I heard parents (mostly dads) telling their kids all about tennis, the players, the rankings, even shot techniques and stuff like that. It was really nice to see

(oh, and someone told me Andy was serving in his practice yesterday. I didn't see it and didn't see him hit today so I cannot verify, but if true that's good news for us fans)

So that was long enough will post pics when they finish uploading, probably tomorrow

Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #71
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LA Reports, Pics, Videos (Tuesday Report in Post 70, pics coming)

Thanks Deb
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #72
country flag Fee

Thanks Deb.

I've seen Amer, Dusan, Ilija, Janko and other Bosnian/Serb/Croatian players hang out together at Challengers. Dusan is a pretty cool guy off court, not really surprised he's that intense on court.

Yeah, players get in the cars without showering. Would you like to know some of the names who subjected me to their lovely aromas back in my driving days?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #73
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reports
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 AM   #74
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Deb

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #75
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Deb
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote