Favourite Quotes - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #106
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourtie Quotes

"Because an expirience is itself within the whole of life, the whole of life is present in it too" - Hans-Georg Gadamer
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #107
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - President Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #108
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

"When the answer cannot be put into words, neither can the question be put into words.
The riddle does not exist.
If a question can be framed at all, it is also possible to answer it."

"Skepticism is not irrefutable, but obviously nonsensical, when it tries to raise doubts where no question can be asked.
For doubt can exist only where an answer exists, and an answer only where something can be said."

"We feel that even when all possible scientific questions have been answered, the problems of life remain completely untouched. Of course there are then no questions left, and this itself is the answer."

"The solution of the problem of life is seen in the vanishing of the problem.
(Is not this the reason why those who have found after a long period of doubt that the sense of life became clear to them have then been unable to say what constituted that sense?)"

"There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words. They make themselves manifest. They are what is mystical."

- Wittgenstein's "Tractatus"
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #109
country flag Pfloyd

"I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place.
Even your emotions had an echo
In so much space

And when you're out there
Without care,
Yeah, I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much" - Gnarles Barkley
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #110
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Some really nice quotes there I'm glad you are adding to the thread And your sig is nice also!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #111
country flag Pfloyd

"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying This is mine, and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this imposter; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #112
country flag Pfloyd

"Power, unless justified, is inherently illegitimate. The burden of proof is on those in authority to demonstrate why their elevated position is justified. If this burden can't be met, the authority in question should be dismantled. Authority for its own sake is inherently unjustified."

- Noam Chomsky
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #113
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced." - Soren Kierkegaard
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #114
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that shredded was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be When I grew up. I wrote down 'a shredded kent'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #115
country flag Pfloyd

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

- Pink Floyd
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #116
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see a quote by the great Swiss/Genevian, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, here. He's THE great thinker of the 18th century. I already quoted him:here

“Rousseau is typically the man that we discuss without knowing.” Henri Bergson (Bergson himself quoted Henri Guillemin)

“Of all existing books, only one is necessary: the Gospel.” Jean-Jacques Rousseau

“If Socrates’ life and death were of a man, Christ’s life and death were of a God” Jean-Jacques Rousseau, in Emile or On Education (The Profession of Faith of the Savoyard Vicar)

And most of all the whole Chapter VIII of his Social Contract (The Civil State)

The passage from the state of nature to the civil state produces a very remarkable change in man, by substituting justice for instinct in his conduct, and giving his actions the morality they had formerly lacked. Then only, when the voice of duty takes the place of physical impulses and right of appetite, does man, who so far had considered only himself, find that he is forced to act on different principles, and to consult his reason before listening to his inclinations. Although, in this state, he deprives himself of some advantages which he got from nature, he gains in return others so great, his faculties are so stimulated and developed, his ideas so extended, his feelings so ennobled, and his whole soul so uplifted, that, did not the abuses of this new condition often degrade him below that which he left, he would be bound to bless continually the happy moment which took him from it for ever, and, instead of a stupid and unimaginative animal, made him an intelligent being and a man.
Let us reduce this whole balance to terms easy to compare. What man loses by the social contract is his natural liberty and an unlimited right to anything which tempts him and which he is able to attain; what he gains is civil liberty and property in all that he possesses. In order that we may not be mistaken about these compensations, we must clearly distinguish natural liberty, which is limited only by the powers of the individual, from civil liberty, which is limited by the general will; and possession, which is nothing but the result of force or the right of first occupancy, from property, which can be based only on a positive title.
Besides the preceding, we might add to the acquisitions of the civil state moral freedom, which alone renders man truly master of himself; for the impulse of mere appetite is slavery, while obedience to a self-prescribed law is liberty.

This is a text of incredible intellectual genius, which we should read two or three times to understand but as Alain Soral (also a Genevian noticed), this text shows that Rousseau was NOT the thinker of the "Noble Savage", and thereby NOT a thinker of the Enlightenment who hated him. Liberal left-wingers would claim to go back to the spirit of Rousseau because of the Noble Savage and Right-wing Conservative would mock him for that very reason but that's a whole myth. Rousseau was much more subtle than that. He introduced historicity into philosophy and was very influential on all the great thinkers who would come after him. Voltaire however was a pedantic liberal and a poor philosopher.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #117
country flag Pfloyd

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” - Nietzsche
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #118
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #119
country flag Pfloyd

“You are what you do. If you do boring, stupid monotonous work, chances are you'll end up boring, stupid and monotonous. Work is a much better explanation for the creeping cretinization all around us than even such significant moronizing mechanisms as television and education.” ― Bob Black
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #120
country flag jacoblewis2008

jacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Good things come to those who wait…
jacoblewis2008 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote