FKA twigs - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
country flag MachineGun

MachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond repute
Default FKA twigs

LP1

FKA twigs is the new R&B sensation. Because yes, R&B is back with a revenge.

I used to dislike most of what came from the artists of the genre, really. But FKA twigs and her debut album, LP1, are almost a life-changing experience, for me anyway.
I had already listened to her first 2 EPs (EP and EP2) and fell in love with tracks like "Weak Spot", "Water Me" or "Papi Pacify". But I felt something bigger could be made of her. And, well, she blossomed and dropped this quiet, chill-y but colossal debut album.

She has that je ne sais quoi that makes her mysterious enough to keep folks hooked, she is damn gorgeous (with superb looks), she can dance (and I'm not very sensitive to such thing, but this is incredible) and, most of all, she is super talented.
She's got everything to be a Pop Icon (the good kind) even before becoming one and without trying.

(both from EP)

(both from EP2)

(both from LP1)

It's obviously not for everyone, because it's arty Pop/R&B, her sound is very bass-dependent and the singing is pretty whispery.

But, to me, that's sex music (figuratively and literally) done absolutely right!
She is the best "new" solo artist by a large margin and her debut is the best album in quite some time. Listen to it, really! (Unfortunately, the links for the 8 remaining songs of the album are being disabled on youtube and almost everywhere.)

Smoking the Rosmalen grass
and rolling in the Stuttgart silt.

v
> Patron Saint of MTF's collective Desire <
^

Last edited by MachineGun : 08-12-2014 at 06:36 PM.
MachineGun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
country flag streetballdude

streetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FKA twigs

http://www.metacritic.com/music/lp1/fka-twigs

I gave the album a listen today, it is very impressive.

Groove's Career Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Age 30-34, make my way into top 10 from top 2000
Age 35-40, peak/prime
Age 41-42, decline, retire in 2032
streetballdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
country flag MachineGun

MachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballdude View Post
http://www.metacritic.com/music/lp1/fka-twigs

I gave the album a listen today, it is very impressive.
Well, I'm very happy this is getting rave reviews. I dislike a bit the fact that she is loved by Pitchfork, all the Pitchfork-naysayers will undoubtedly create some kind of backlash, just for the sake of bashing it. Many artists have been collateral victims, decreasing their credibility because of it.

v
^
Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
country flag streetballdude

streetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond repute

Pitchfork doesn't really bother me personally and their news section appeals to my music taste, which I happen check from time to time. I always knew it was cool to hate on Pitchfork, but I never knew it was as bad as you say it is. Do you have any examples?

Groove's Career Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Age 30-34, make my way into top 10 from top 2000
Age 35-40, peak/prime
Age 41-42, decline, retire in 2032
streetballdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

will surely be quite popular with depressed teenagers, no doubt.

To me it's just more of the same from a new project. And as a teenager i had my times diving deep in similar music, but i think it stops being interesting when reality hits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
country flag MachineGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
will surely be quite popular with depressed teenagers, no doubt.

To me it's just more of the same from a new project. And as a teenager i had my times diving deep in similar music, but i think it stops being interesting when reality hits.
Your CD is scratched, in my opinion. You have no credibility when it comes to Entertainment.

But you made me laugh, I'll give you that.

v
^
Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
country flag MachineGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballdude View Post
Pitchfork doesn't really bother me personally and their news section appeals to my music taste, which I happen check from time to time. I always knew it was cool to hate on Pitchfork, but I never knew it was as bad as you say it is. Do you have any examples?
Some notable female performers: Annie, Robyn, M.I.A., ...

v
^
Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
country flag Fatima

Fatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond reputeFatima has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so underwhelmed by her even though I really want to like her music. I like most of the similar artists but she just doesn't have what I look for. IDK how to explain it. On paper, she should be my favourite artist.

Last edited by Fatima : 08-12-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Fatima is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
country flag MachineGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatima View Post
I'm so underwhelmed by her even though I really want to like her music. I like most of the similar artists but she just doesn't have what I look for. IDK how to explain it. On paper, she should be my favourite artist.
The production is a bit harsh to swallow, at first. It's very minimalistic in sound and bold at the same time. It's hard to explain.
Maybe it will grow on you after repeated listening sessions.

Anyway, she is quite the perfect female creature, alien:

v
^
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

She looks unique and from what I listened to she sounds unique too, I'll give her that. Probably what she needs to become a star so fair play to her.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Well, don't they say 90s are back? I like it but it's too déjŕ-vuish, more tan 20yrs have passed since trip-hop and it was too good then for a second coming.

Dunno.