fairly new to this game, need new racquet. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
country flag littleboi

littleboi is on a distinguished road
Default fairly new to this game, need new racquet.

Hello all, I am new to tennis and been playing this game for about 5 months now. Although play time and practice time was inconsistent due to busy schedule. Other than that, I want to learn how to play this game fairly well. I was able to arrange my schedule so that I could play tennis after work. So pretty much I can play tennis everyday after work. Which really help relieves stress. Not planning on turning pro but just want to be good enough to have a good and fun game.

With that aside, I’m currently using a Wilson N1 nCode, pre-strung. I bought these because I got it on sale and I just heard that if you have a bigger racquet head, you’ll have more power. I have very little knowledge about racquets and strings and the mechanics about the equipment. That’s why I came here for help and some advices/suggestions.

I like to play all around the court. Although when I play, baseline is about 75% of the rally. One big problem about me is that I don’t have that much strength in my swings. As far as I know, you have to have a strong groundstroke as a baseliner. I kinda don’t have that. I’m a pretty small guy at 5 foot 5 inches. Every time I want to hit the ball with a top spin, I spend about 5x effort just to hit it over the net. Which drains a lot of energy from me.

So I’d like to know which racquets you guys would recommend. I think I need a racket that can produce power without tooooo much effort. Do I need a heavier racket? Bigger head size? Does the technology within that racquet matters? What about the grip? Strings? Tension? I have very little knowledge about this and I’d like to be educated here.

I apologize if a thread like this has been made.
Replies are greatly appreaciated.
Thanks in advance
littleboi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fairly new to this game, need new racquet.

ok, i'll start from the beginning.

in terms of grip, when you hold the racket you want a small gap between the edge of your fingers and your palm, that you can just about fit a finger's width in.

beginners do usually go for larger headsizes, which have a larger sweetspot and are therefore easier to use.

if you want power easily, a lighter racket is better as it is easier to swing quickly. a racket where the majority of the weight is in the head will be better for power and also for topspin.

the strings and tension in a pre-strung racket would be perfectly fine for a beginner, as it would be more difficult for you to tell the difference between them.

if you are going to be playing regularly and relatively seriously, then i wouldnt advocate going with an absolutely huge head size. i would say something around the 107-110sq inch range, so a couple to consider would be:

babolat drive-z 110
head metallix 4
prince ozone 4
wilson k5 108
wilson k4 105
dunlop aerogel 700
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
country flag littleboi

Right now, my N1 have a 115 sq in. Although what i dont like about it is that it doesn't absorb the impact that much and for some reason it doesnt produce much power as it was said to do.

Besides the ones you recommended, i like so far the the Babolat Drive and the Prince Ozone.
Also, what does this Cortex technology do?

While browsing, i've seen the Babolat Pure Roddick and Head Prestiges. These any good?

Also another thing, i think i would want a heavier racquet than my N1. 9.1oz feels pretty light. I think i want around 11oz. Also, i feel confident about using a racquet with a head size at 100sq in.

Thnks for the prompt reply jazar.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

basically, babolat rackets are so stiff and uncomfortable to use they had to do something about it. cortex is a vibration dampener built into the racket which is said to reduce the harmful frame vibrations.

the babolat pure drive roddick is almost guarantees you tennis elbow and the head prestiges are advanced players racket.

if you want to be generating power relatively easier, i would go for a racket lighter than 11oz, maybe around 10oz, as the heavier rackets are for those players who need less help generating power. i also wouldnt restrict yourself to saying a 100sq inch head. bearing these in mind, here are a few more suggestions for you:

babolat aero strike
dunlop aerogel 500
head microgel radical team
prince ozone 7
prince speedport red
wilson kzen team
wilson k6.2
wilson kpro team
Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
country flag littleboi

Thanks for the reply. I will check out these racquets later today.

How about the strings? Any particular strings i should put on the racquet?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
country flag jazar

you should probably put a comfort orientated string in. something like babolat xcel, pacific spacepower, tecnifibre multifeel
Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
country flag littleboi

How about Yonex rackets? Their rackets have a different look than most i saw.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
country flag jazar

the yonex rackets have a square head shape, which gives them a larger sweetspot. if you are going to consider one, then it should be the RSiQ 2 Tour
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
country flag littleboi

What can you say about the Prince 03 White?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
country flag jazar

i can say that i personally hate it, but its tecnhology is good for people looking to improve their game, as it gives you a much larger sweetspot. however, if you are looking within the prince range, i would recommend the ozone 7 and the speedport black team ahead of the 03 white
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
country flag littleboi

Jazar, thanks a lot for the inputs. Greatly appreciated.

I'm still using my Wilson N1. For me, i think the problem is it's too light for me, 9.1oz. I've tried using my friend's Wilson Nsix.two at 10.2oz, it was still light, but i could generate more power than my N1. So i guess i might be looking for rackets weighing close to 11oz. Let's just say, more or less 11oz.

I'm still hanging on with my N1 but greatly looking forward for a new racket. And yes, a racket that will improve my game.

Just FYI, again I'm looking for a racket that can produce enough power as i couldn't produce it consistently. I'm pretty confident with my control, i just can't produce a lot of power on my swings.

So far I'm thinking of demoing these rackets:
Babolat Pure Drive Standard Cortex
Head Microgel Radical Team
Prince 03 Speedport Black
Prince 03 White
Wilson K Factor KBlade Team
Wilson K Factor KZen
Yonex RQ iS 2 Tour

Feel free to cross out and/or add rackets. This is the website I go to http://tenniswarehouse.com

I couldn't go to their place as it is far so I'll have to have the demo's shipped to me. That's why i want to at least make sure that i got the right rackets to demo rather than demoing 100 rackets and spend a lot on shipping the demos only.

Thanks.

Last edited by littleboi : 08-05-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #12
country flag jazar

maybe consider demoing the wilson kzen
Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
country flag littleboi

Hmm, the KZen seems interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Damn, just searching for a racket is frikkin hard.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #14
country flag mojoo999

mojoo999 is on a distinguished road

I can only recommend the wilson kfactor. Check it out here www.wilsonracquet.net
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
country flag Dirty Bert

Dirty Bert is on a distinguished road

Having had alot of play with the Prince racquets you mentioned (White, Black and Ozone7) I would say to go with 03 Speedport White PRO. For me at least, It allowed me to get much more spin on my shots which I guess is because of a more dense string pattern. More strings = more strings on the ball which should = more spin. I can only comment on the Princes because that is what I play with regularly. BTW, I personally have an 03 speedport white and an Ozone 7. The black I have used but do not own one.
Dirty Bert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote