Correcting false techniques - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
country flag superslice

superslice is on a distinguished road
Default Correcting false techniques

Ok here is the deal..I am pretty poor player. I have played 4 summers but I haven't been into any tennis courses so I have learned my own techniques. They are clearly wrong, I thought I was maybe avarage amateur player but when I tried couple of more expensive racket I realized that I didn't know how to play with them, lack of power use and so on. Now I play with my cheap loose net Wilson.

So, now I have started watching and learning the right techniques from internet and tried to get more body to shots. This has been suprisingly hard, I have tried hitting these balls for a few days and mostly trainging just my topsin forehand and backhand. Now I get more power to my shots but it seems very hard to get enough topsin to the shots without the ball going to the net. Either the ball flies to the sky without spin or the shot goes to the net when I try to swing faster the racket after hitting the ball to my shoulders (rainbow). What's wrong? Why can't I make this simple shot correctly so that the ball drops to the court? Good advice needed
superslice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correcting false techniques

I know they can be expensive, but I would recommend paying for a few coaching lessons. It's difficult for us to advise you over the internet when we can't really see where you're going wrong with your technique.

Also try researching the different grips if you haven't already(continental, eastern, western, etc.), it could be that you're trying to hit heavy top-spin with a continental grip which is very difficult.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
country flag superslice

superslice is on a distinguished road

Yeah the coaching lessons are rather expensive. But I think if I practice a lot by myself reading and practising tennis techniques I could find good techniques over time? I just tried a hour for different grips, if I use eastern the balls go more to the sky (like sereval meters over the backline) , or if I use western the balls go to net or just slightly over the net and don't go over much. But I guess this is wrong way to hit, the topspin forehand should go lot over the net and then drop fast to court. But there isn't any specific grip for forehand topsin? Somewhere I read that one should use Eastern grip for this. Another thing I would like to know is that could my very bounching racket net be responsible for these long hits? I have played for long with this racket and in the past I have mainly used only my hand (WRONG) to create the power with so the balls stayed in the court.
superslice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslice View Post
Yeah the coaching lessons are rather expensive. But I think if I practice a lot by myself reading and practising tennis techniques I could find good techniques over time? I just tried a hour for different grips, if I use eastern the balls go more to the sky (like sereval meters over the backline) , or if I use western the balls go to net or just slightly over the net and don't go over much. But I guess this is wrong way to hit, the topspin forehand should go lot over the net and then drop fast to court. But there isn't any specific grip for forehand topsin? Somewhere I read that one should use Eastern grip for this. Another thing I would like to know is that could my very bounching racket net be responsible for these long hits? I have played for long with this racket and in the past I have mainly used only my hand (WRONG) to create the power with so the balls stayed in the court.
The eastern grip is a good grip for a beginner, I learnt using that grip and switched to semi-western last year. I wouldn't recommend using a western grip unless you have a coach as it's a pretty advanced technique. Try eastern or semi-western for now.

I'm not really sure how else to advise you. Maybe you're pushing the racquet forward with your swing rather than whipping it up and behind the ball? Just practice for 20 minutes brushing your racquet behind the ball, it doesn't matter if it goes really high over the net - just get used to the sensation of applying topspin and the effect it has on the ball.

As for your racquet, perhaps you have it strung too loosely? This would explain it flying long, or it could just be your technique causing this. A good beginners racquet should be around 10-11 ounces, head size 100-110 cm2 and strung to a medium tension (around 55 pounds). I know there are racquet experts on this forum so they'll be able to advise you better than I can on this though.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Tidus gave a good account there... eastern grip on the forehand is a great place to move forward... and again, as Tidus says, find a good coach and book a lesson... if the coach is any good they wont mind you turning up once a fortnight, once a month, or even once a year... just to check on what you got going wrong n right... also, take a set of issues along to a coach... dont wait 20 minutes of an hour lesson allowing the coach to have a look at you, cos he/she will need a look to find where to start... just rock up and say 'ok... forehand is sh!te... i do this ball does this... help me...' dont ry to be jack of all trades... be excellent at one facet of the game at a time...

as a coach, i actually love it when people come with issues they know themselves...

anyways... here...

go to youtube's search engine...

type in:

slow motion backhand

slow motion forehand
(note: ignore the nadal examples here)

if you are a beginner, maybe learn the slice backhand to type in

slice backhand slow motion

study the---> find a mirror---> check your form... repeat Every ****ing day... even if you are like me, ugly and have a ton of issues with the mirror, learn to love the way to look... listen to me sunshine - you dont need to be on a tennis court everyday to get better...

my and my bro got very good... had no coach... but we resourced 100's of still photo's...

you tube is a ten fold better resource...

good luck champion...

here... to get you started:

study which strings are mostly doing the work to the ball here...? look hard... copy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBuJo...eature=related

Last edited by fast_clay : 07-16-2008 at 10:54 PM.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

I had the exact same problem. I've played for a few years now but without coaching, and my technique is very poor. Watching the pros doesn't really help. I play with a semi-western forehand but my backhand doesn't really have a grip to describe it I think it's one I created myself.

I've had a few coaching lessons over the years but I always go back to my old ways. I've decided to take it seriously now I'm switching to an eastern grip on the backhand with the help of my coach. Not easy at first but it's slowly getting there.

Anyway, my advice = coaching. Only needs a couple of lessons and then you can practice with what he teaches you.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote