Players you hate facing - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Players you hate facing

For me pushers and moonballers are the worst.

Incredibly frustrating how they're happy to play the most boring game in order to get the W. I can come off feeling happy with how I've played if I get wiped off the court 6-1 6-1 by a serve-vollyer, he was just too good, but if I lose close in tie-breaks to a pusher I always feel like I should give up playing tennis because I'm the worst player in the world and couldn't even beat a mug.

A pusher even managed to embarrass me at doubles the other day. I played like an idiot trying to blast through him and of course he was just scampering around retrieving all my shots until I made the inevitable mistake. He was clearly weaker at the net, so god knows why I didn't lure him in and pass him or his partner.

Moonballers on the other hand, I find hell to face on slow, bouncy courts. They play such a safe game and yet give you such awkward shots to deal with, just a nightmare combo. I've had more success hitting through them and attacking them than I have against pushers though.

What style of player is your nemesis?
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
country flag Fenz

Fenz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Players you hate facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
For me pushers and moonballers are the worst.

Incredibly frustrating how they're happy to play the most boring game in order to get the W. I can come off feeling happy with how I've played if I get wiped off the court 6-1 6-1 by a serve-vollyer, he was just too good, but if I lose close in tie-breaks to a pusher I always feel like I should give up playing tennis because I'm the worst player in the world and couldn't even beat a mug.

A pusher even managed to embarrass me at doubles the other day. I played like an idiot trying to blast through him and of course he was just scampering around retrieving all my shots until I made the inevitable mistake. He was clearly weaker at the net, so god knows why I didn't lure him in and pass him or his partner.

Moonballers on the other hand, I find hell to face on slow, bouncy courts. They play such a safe game and yet give you such awkward shots to deal with, just a nightmare combo. I've had more success hitting through them and attacking them than I have against pushers though.

What style of player is your nemesis?
I hate moonballers, i have a attacking style of play and im pretty small for my age (15) whenever im beating someone they have to result to moon balling its soooo annoying ! .
Anyone know a way to counter this ?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

i hate people who start off playing really attacking, realise that it doesnt work against me, and then start moonballing.

and btw, the best way to handle moonballers is to take them out at their kneecaps
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute

Hey so I absolutely hate playing pushers. I would call myself a grinder, I like to stay back but I dont just "wait for an error" I like to attack every once in a while.

Anyway, check this out..Respect The Pusher...Because He Beat Your, Twice!

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #5

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin Sports View Post
Hey so I absolutely hate playing pushers. I would call myself a grinder, I like to stay back but I dont just "wait for an error" I like to attack every once in a while.
Sounds like you have a very similar style to me. I prefer people to attack me, as I'm comfortable being the counter-puncher. I think that's why I have problems with pushers, we just reach a stalemate and eventually boredom / frustration leads to too many mistakes in rallies.

Surprisingly I faced a junior the other day and he could push for his country. Really not used to that from a kid, normally they moonball with big spin, but he was really giving me no pace or spin to work with whatsoever. Really baffled me for the first few games, but as soon as I started getting into the net and cutting off his pansy shots he was toast.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Players who hit the ball to my body/feet.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Any player who beats me.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

I can't beat this kid that slices every ball. Never hits flat, never topspin, never lobs, just a ball that stays 2-4 inches over the net deep and ball never bounces over a foot and a half high. When I go to net I either win on first ball or hit into the net.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like moonballers/pushers, I enjoy being able to dictate play. It doesn't really frustrate me either.

My biggest hate = playing big servers. Absolutely infuriating being out of control. It also makes me a lot more nervous on my service games because I know I won't get many chances to break back.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
country flag sorrowman

sorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
I can't beat this kid that slices every ball. Never hits flat, never topspin, never lobs, just a ball that stays 2-4 inches over the net deep and ball never bounces over a foot and a half high. When I go to net I either win on first ball or hit into the net.
try to lift all this kind of """shots""", is one of the best strategys against them...
Old 07-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
country flag navy75

navy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys won't like to hear this (and I assume most are casual players), but having trouble with pushers generally indicates a really weak mindset or some severe flaws in your game. I love to have my top juniors hit against 4.0 brick walls, as it instantly lets me gauge where we are in the long haul.

I don't really have a pet peave per se, as different styles are what makes tennis so fun and allows you to constantly test yourself...
navy75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:26 AM   #12
country flag NinaNina19

NinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond repute

Serve and volleyers. If you hit a kind of crappy return you have no chance of winning the point. Also, the points go by so fast and you can't really get a rhythm.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy75 View Post
You guys won't like to hear this (and I assume most are casual players), but having trouble with pushers generally indicates a really weak mindset or some severe flaws in your game. I love to have my top juniors hit against 4.0 brick walls, as it instantly lets me gauge where we are in the long haul.

I don't really have a pet peave per se, as different styles are what makes tennis so fun and allows you to constantly test yourself...
Don't worry, you are right! As frustrating as pushers are to play, they do make you think about your game and become a more intelligent and consistent player. I've been struggling with them on slow hard courts recently but I know I can get the W if I'm in the right frame of mind, and it's a great feeling to dominate a pusher.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaNina19 View Post
Serve and volleyers. If you hit a kind of crappy return you have no chance of winning the point. Also, the points go by so fast and you can't really get a rhythm.
Are there still ladies who serve and volley then? Surely you can crack their weak serves, or are you playing against guys?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

There's not really a style of player that I dislike playing against except, perhaps, like Adam...I'm intimidated by big servers. Luckily, there aren't too many ladies that fit that category at the 3.5 level I play at . I enjoy playing against a variety of styles...and count as one of my strengths...adjusting (if necessary) to put myself in a winning situation.

What I can't stand to be on the court with are lolly-gaggers. They bounce the ball too much, take too much time between points and waaaay too much time at service changeovers. Ugh. Chatty Cathys are also a sore spot.