Summer hardcourt season 2008 - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #121
country flag The Freak

The Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer hardcourt season 2008

Blake or Fish next is winnable.

Tim Henman--Gael Monfils--James Blake--Rafael Nadal--Jo-Wilfried Tsonga--John Isner--Andy Murray--Janko Tipsarevic--Juan Martin Del Potro--Donald Young--Nick Kyrgios--Mardy Fish--Richard Gasquet--David Ferrer--Somdev Devvarman.

The Freak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #122
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta say, I am happy with the ease of this win. He spent alot of time on the court in the 5-1 game of the 3rd set, but what a relief that he is beginning to win these matches in straight sets, v. 1-2 years ago when he would have to take it to five sets.
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #123
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Nalby really helped a lot too today! I actually preferred Gaël's game in Beijing or in the first rounds. But well, it's great indeed to see him reach the 4th round having lost only one set in the process, it was much more of a struggle in RG just a couple of months ago.

Did anybody get why Chryst gave him a warning in the middle of the match, btw?
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #124
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Q. What is your success to bumping off highly‑ranked guys?
GÄEL MONFILS: I'm just playing my game. Before the match I tried to find a solution against this guy. I mean, all top‑10 guy, you know. I know how to play there, so when in front there I feel comfortable, and then just try to play my game.
I hope soon to be with them, so I never give up. That's why maybe sometime I win it.

Q. You didn't get the point, but I watched you hit a shot between your legs. You looked like the Harlem Globetrotters.
GÄEL MONFILS: Because I was going too fast and cannot stop, so the last solution was between the legs.

Q. The crowd loved it.
GÄEL MONFILS: Yeah, but the first time, the first intent is not between the legs. It was like I was going too fast and after I have to find a solution, so I go between the legs.

Q. So it was not planned?
GÄEL MONFILS: Not at this time.

Q. Who's the guy you gave the racquet to to hit the ball into the crowd?
GÄEL MONFILS: One of my good friends.

Q. When you're playing at US Open, Americans love that type of showmanship. Is that something that you're conscious of, because not only does it help you with the crowd, but it helps you separate yourself from the rest of the players.
GÄEL MONFILS: I mean, I'm me. I mean, like I love to show my emotion. I love to do a show, because when I was 9, 11, to play in front of a lot of people it's like for me something amazing.
So like I do it for me. It's fun. You know, I have to show them I am enjoying on the court, you know, I enjoy my sport. And then they show me emotion, so it's great.

Q. So why did you give up becoming an NBA All‑Star or European All‑Star in place of tennis?
GÄEL MONFILS: Maybe after my career I will think to be in NBA. I love the NBA. I love the show they give the player. I mean, maybe in tennis sometime it's too stiff, like some guys wants to keep the emotion.
Me, I'm not like this, you know. Like, my culture is to be very fun and enjoy the life. So on the court I'm like this.

Q. How did you approach the third set knowing that Nalbandian is a player who often will drop two sets before going on a run?
GÄEL MONFILS: I saw him like the first point of the third set was a bit tired, like almost cramping, so I was very confident about it.
Just tell me to make him run a lot.

Q. Seems like at the end of the match when you were trying to break him for the match ‑ I think it was 5‑1 in the third ‑ you did a bunch of splits. Seemed to be almost like you may have come close to hurting yourself. Do you think that the acupuncturist gets nervous when you do stuff like that?
GÄEL MONFILS: I mean, I think my parents are in front of the TV in Paris, also. It's like I don't want give up one point. I want to be the best on every point, so sometime I can going too far. At this time it was okay, so that's fine.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...137235625.html

They're really loving the showmanship, I hope it won't encourage him to overdo it (even more)! Rasheed rather wants him to calm down in that regard.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #125
country flag Truc

His audio interview on the FFT website:
He says it was a good match, he had lapses of concentration again, but they were short.
Even though he won in straight sets, he had to draw on his reserves, but it's a good thing too to know he's able to in big matches. Nalby is tough to beat in Grand Slams, so that's a very good win for him. (I'm not sure Nalby really is tough to beat in GS this year, Gaël!)
The journalist tells him that playing a night session obviously is a dream for him. He says he would be happy indeed, he has only played one against Baggy at the AO so far in a Grand Slam, but it's just a tennis match, he doesn't sound as excited about it as the journalist wants him to be.

Last edited by Truc : 08-31-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #126
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Nalby really helped a lot too today! I actually preferred Gaël's game in Beijing or in the first rounds. But well, it's great indeed to see him reach the 4th round having lost only one set in the process, it was much more of a struggle in RG just a couple of months ago.

Did anybody get why Chryst gave him a warning in the middle of the match, btw?
it was because he took too much time before serving and earlier in the match, Gael complained about Nalby doing it as well, if I'm not mistaken

edit: next match: it'll be against Fish
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #127
country flag Truc

Thanks! It does seem to me that he often takes a lot of time and never gets warned for it. Even at the beginning of the matches or after a break, he makes everybody wait for ever sometimes! They should tell him to hurry up, it's annoying. I don't think he's aware of it.

The article in l'Equipe today - I was hoping Manicom had left because I couldn't spot him in the stands in Cincinnati, but it's worse than ever, on the contrary :
Quote:
Monfils à l’heure Fish
Très concentré sur son aventure new-yorkaise, le Français est devenu une attraction aux États-Unis.

ILS AVAIENT ADORÉ le saut de cabri par-dessus le filet de Jo Tsonga pour un tambourinant high five avec Moya. Ils ont adoré les « monfilseries » (postures allongées la langue pendante, glissades ébouriffantes, etc., etc.) face à un Nalbandian comateux. Les suiveurs américains ne savent plus où donner de la tête entre ces Frenchies qui ne détoneraient pas dans leur NBA à grand spectacle. « Dites-moi, avec ce coup entre les jambes, on aurait un Harlem Globetrotter », suggérait l’un d’eux à celui qui avait eu le génie d’endormir Nalbandian dans un faux rythme et de réveiller la foule par quelques accès de fièvre. C’est à ce moment-là du récit que la légende du showman s’écorna singulièrement. « Si j’ai fait ce coup, ce n’est pas pour amuser la galerie, rétorqua Monfils. Ce n’était pas ma première intention. Si je l’ai fait, c’est que j’arrivais trop vite et que je ne pouvais pas m’arrêter. Et la seule solution, c’était de faire ça. »
On comprit aussitôt que le Français en avait assez qu’on lui ressasse ses anecdotes de bouffon des foules au détriment de ses performances de costaud. « Showman, showman, faut arrêter d’employer ce mot. Je vais sur le court pour gagner, point. Quand j’entends showman, j’ai l’impression qu’on dit ça parce que je fais exprès de le faire. Non, ce n’est pas du tout ça. Les glissades, c’est naturel pour moi, comme quelqu’un qui court ou qui marche. Dangereux ? Non, naturel. Et je tombe parce que, sur dur, ça s’arrête sec. Je ne plonge pas pour plonger. Quand une fille en gym fait un salto, j’ai l’impression qu’elle va s’éclater, mais elle le fait. Pareil pour moi. Quand je vois que la seule solution pour rattraper une balle, c’est de glisser, j’y vais. »
Programme digne de Broadway
Même à 5-1 au troisième set d’un match plié ? Même. « Parce que je ne lâche pas un point. Là-dessus, je suis en phase avec “Rodgeur” (Rasheed son coach). » Voilà pour la mise au point sans exubérance. Monfils est ici tout entier à son objectif. Avant les matches, il écoute Fos a pei la (La force du pays) de Kassav et Admiral T, comme pour se nourrir à la puissance antillaise. Pendant les rencontres, secondé par un engagement de carnassier, il tâte de toutes les filières visant à éreinter l’adversaire et à le surprendre par des mites, récitant le lexique de la force tranquille. Juste après, c’est le programme digne de Broadway : les pas de danse saccadés façon break pour fêter les victoires, une nouveauté dans le répertoire après la chorégraphie de la Mobylette entrevue à Roland-Garros.
Avec en prime la petite facétie du pote du Monf’ Tour qui rentre sur le court pour « kiffer » et lancer les balles au public. « Comme on peut le voir, Gaël est vraiment bien dans sa tête et dans les jambes. Depuis Roland-Garros, je trouve sa concentration plus intense. On le sentait bien avant le match contre Nalbandian. Il m’avait dit avant de rentrer sur le court : “Phil, j’ai pas peur, tu vas voir !” », racontait Philippe Manicom, plus qu’un acupuncteur-masseur depuis la rupture avec le clan Lagardère. « Le tout en un, je ressens un bien-être total », se marrait Monfils, demandeur de complicité créole et de moxybustion (*). Garant du bien-être musculaire et mental, Manicom travaille aussi sur un nouveau chantier alimentaire estampillé secret de famille. « Là, j’ai un contrat de confidentialité… Mais, après l’US Open, on va se concentrer encore plus sur l’alimentation avec des vitamines, des minéraux et des suppléments énergétiques. » Vous avez dit énergie ?Monfils n’en manquera pas aujourd’hui. Pour fêter ses vingt-deux ans, il a rendez-vous sur le Arthur Ashe Stadium avec un nouvel héros local. Mais ne lui dites surtout pas que ce sera show time. Il vous répondrait que c’est un combat pour une place en quarts de finale et l’honneur de « Guada », la Guadeloupe. « Parce que Gaël, c’est le cousin de Usain Bolt ! » Foi de Manicom.
FRANCK RAMELLA
Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #128
country flag Truc

The USO crowd had loved JWT's jump over the net and high five with Moya, they loved the Monfils show too, sliding around, lying on the ground with his tongue hanging out, etc. And his post-match conference was all about that.
But according to the L'Equipe journalist, Gaël was looking very soon pretty annoyed to be only asked about his "buffoonery". "Showman, showman, I wish people would give me a break with that. I enter the court to win, period. 'Showman' sounds like I'm doing it on purpose. But it's not true. Sliding is something natural for me, like walking and running. Dangerous? No, natural. I fall because I have to stop very abruptly on hardcourt. I don't dive for the sake of it. When I see a gymnast do a sommersault, I have the impression she's going to crash, but she does it. Same for me. When I see that sliding is the only way for me to reach a ball, I do it." Even at 5-1 when the match is already over? Yes. "Because I don't give any free point. I'm on the same wavelength with Rodgeur (Rasheed) on that."
No exuberant behaviour during this tournament, actually, he's very focused on his goal. The program: before his matches he listens to Guadeloupean music; during his matches he mixes different styles of game to wear out his opponent and surprise him from time to time with some heavy shots; and after the matches it's Broadway time with a new little dance.
Manicom: "As you can see, Gaël is feeling very well, in his mind and in his legs. His concentration has been more intense since Roland-Garros. We had a good feeling before the match against Nalbandian. He told me before entering the court: 'Phil', I'm not afraid, you'll see!'"
Manicom has become more than an acupuncturist and a physio since Gaël left the Team Lagardère. Gaël laughes: "All in one, the complete well-being". Manicom takes care of his muscular and mental well-being and the next goal is to adjust his diet too. But it's a secret. "I have a confidentiality agreement... But we will put the emphasis on the diet after the US Open with more vitamins, minerals and energetic supplements."
Gaël certainly won't lack energy today, playing against the new local hero, on Arthur Ashe, for his birthday. But don't tell him it will be "show time". He will answer it is a fight for a spot in the 1/4 and for the honor of "Guada", the Guadeloupe. Manicom: "Gaël is the cousin of Usain Bolt!" ^^

Last edited by Truc : 09-01-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #129
country flag Truc

And from the Opencourt blog: "Hit a guy where it hurts"
http://communities.canada.com/MONTRE...-it-hurts.aspx

Not very interesting, I know , but it made me smile because it's so characteristic of Gaël before his matches. First, I also always wonder when he's finally going to take out his earbuds. And the thing during the warmup was pretty funny, Gaël was just standing there and like watching the ball coming in the direction of his crotch (it was not that fast) and he didn't seem to try to avoid it at all!
He looks completely "absent" in mind before a match.

Last edited by Truc : 09-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #130
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielafrenchfan View Post
more vitamins, minerals and energetic supplements....

gael don't need that
i don't like manicom at all .
same here
Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #131
country flag amdany

oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #132
country flag Truc

Does anybody except Gaël (and Monfils Senior) like Manicom?
I've never read anything even slightly positive about him.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #133
country flag Truc

Great timing, I just saw there is an article about Manicom in Le Parisien today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manicom.jpg (235.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #134
country flag Truc

"We love each other with Gaël"

Gaël dedicated his victory over Nalbandian to Manicom when he was interviewed on the court, but Manicom had already left and is very moved when he hears of it: "I missed the biggest moment of my life! I wasn't expecting that. It's an honor. If I die tomorrow, I will die smiling. It's the best way he could find to thank me."
The journalist meets the Monfils clan the day after the Nalbandian match. 6 people follow him to his training session, among others the new gf, Oriane. Manicom is telling everybody: "You know what? JMac in person said on TV that Gaël is the player who appeals to him the most!" No reaction from Gaël.
Then they start talking about the celebration dance if he beats Fish and about the basket-ball shirt which was sent to him by the NBA Orlando team for his birthday. Everybody is in good spirits.
Manicom (who was very criticized at the beginning) about his job with Gaël: "We've created a winning process. Gaël didn't use to have the organization of a winner and was getting injured too often. Now he doesn't feel any fear anymore. He inspires fear."
"He already wanted all this before, but couldn't do it because the people around him didn't allow it. It's not easy when the guys don't have work ethics."
"Gaël is like a Ferrari and I am the mechanical engineer."
"Gaël is... the best thing which has ever happened to me. He's a friend, an extraordinary patient and a brother who could be... my son. There's a synergy between us. We have fun, we joke... we love each other."

^^

Last edited by Truc : 09-01-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #135
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

They should fly to California just after the USO () (Netherlands is a good destination too)

Seriously, it begins to be a little too much between those too. Gaêl seems to have the bad habit to be extremely fragile, humanly speaking. I was reading an american article where it says that he was a kind of a leader in a group and I believe in the exact opposit : he is more someone who needs to be constantly reassured. He has a hard time to gain confidence in himself by himself. Alyzé Cornet (who was once one of his multiple love interest) said the same thing just after RG.

Well it doesn't really matter to us, as long as he keeps his interest and his serious in tennis.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote