Summer hardcourt season 2008 - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #76
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer hardcourt season 2008

Match of the day!

http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/ev...choftheday.asp
"A very exciting player, he is developing something of a cult following in France and beyond."

Why isn't it on Center Court then instead of Fed-Blake and Nadal-Melzer ?
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #77
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

WHat happened with them at the US Open?

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #78
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/sp...=1&oref=slogin
http://sportsonmymind.com/2008/05/31...of-divergence/

The articles are dramatic, but it's true Nole's never-ending time-outs were over the top. I saw the match live, I wasn't a fan of Gaël at the time, and I was shocked too.
It was not just Nole's fault, though, the trainer also took ages to come, so you had Nole lying on the ground in the middle of the court waiting for the trainer, Gaël looking like "But what is going on here? "... It was really unusual!

But it happened 3 years ago.

Last edited by Truc : 08-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #79
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
http://sportsonmymind.com/2008/05/31...of-divergence/
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/sp...=1&oref=slogin

The articles are a bit dramatic, but it's true Nole's never-ending time-outs were over the top. I saw the match live, I wasn't a fan of GaŽl at the time, and I was shocked too.
It was not just Nole's fault, though, the trainer also took ages to come, so you had Nole lying on the ground in the middle of the court waiting for the trainer, GaŽl looking like "But what is going on here? "... It was really unusual!

But it happened 3 years ago.

Im so sad that he lost.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #80
country flag Truc

They're fine now, they're friends. I posted the 2nd article to show you what people on GM are referring to, but it's making a big deal out of nothing.
Monfils fans (and GaŽl himself) can only be happy when people get over some his stunts on the court, so we are in no position to bear a grudge against other players for that story anyway.

Bad day for you yesterday, Tutu!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #81
country flag Truc

Here's his post-match interview, but it's not interesting:
Quote:
C'était un vrai combat ce match…
GAËL MONFILS : "Oui, c'était un beau combat. J'ai fait des choix tactiques sans doute défaillants à un moment donné, c'est sans doute ce qui lui a permis de briller dans les moments importants."
Vous avez commencé parfaitement le match, tandis que lui a commis beaucoup de fautes au début…
G.M. : "Je pense que j'ai bien joué tout au long de la partie. Je fais peut-être une erreur au deuxième set. J'ai voulu changer ma façon de jouer et derrière, c'est à ce moment là que je me suis fais breaker. J'ai essayé de recoller tout de suite au score avant, ensuite, de faire un travail de sape en vue du troisième set. Le score de la deuxième manche est peut-être sévère, mais j'ai surtout cherché à le faire courir."
Que vous reprochez-vous exactement tactiquement ?
G.M. : "En fait, je l'ai un peu trop regardé jouer. Je faisais mes changements de rythmes après lui plutôt que de les faire avant lui. Ce n'était pas des changements de rythme en force, mais plutôt des changements de direction du jeu. Je le tenais bien dans les diagonales et j'aurais sans doute dû plus ouvrir, et avant lui, soit dans la diagonale, soit le long de la ligne. Au deuxième set, il l'a fait beaucoup plus que moi."
C'est ce qui fait la différence ?
G.M. : "Oui, même si il a été aujourd'hui plus fort que moi aujourd'hui. Il est allé chercher les points."
Retirez-vous beaucoup de satisfactions de votre parcours ?
G.M. : "Non, je suis déçu. Encore une fois, un tournoi pour moi c'est pour aller au bout. Voilà, j'ai fait des beaux matches, mais j'ai perdu. Ce n'est pas passé loin, mais j'ai perdu. Donc je suis déçu. Si on se satisfait de ses défaites, on n'a plus d'objectif. Moi, ce que je veux, c'est gagner, être le plus fort. Et ce que je vois aujourd'hui, c'est que j'ai perdu."
http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/jeux-...76/story.shtml
Roughly:
A big fight...
Yes, it was a good fight. I probably made wrong tactical choices at a time, which made him look great in the important moments.
You took a perfect start while he was making a lot of errors...
I think I played well during the whole match. Maybe I made a mistake in the 2nd set. I wanted to change my game and that's when I got broken. I tried to come back immediately, and then I tried to make him tired for the 3rd set. The scoreline in the 2nd set might look harsh, but I was trying to make him run.
What was the problem exactly with your tactics?
I was watching him play too often. I was varying the pace after him instead of before him. No variations of power, but more of direction. I was having him well under control crosscourt and I should probably have opened the field more, before he did it, cross or longline. He did it more than I did in the 2nd set.
That's what made the difference?
Yes, even if he was better than me today. He won the points (= he didn't wait for Gaël to make the error).
Are you getting a lot of satisfaction out of your run here?
No, I'm disappointed. Again, when I play a tournament, I want to win the whole thing. I played great matches, but I lost. It was close, but I lost. So I'm disappointed. If you're satisfied with defeats, you don't have a goal anymore. My goal is to win, to be the best. And what I see is that I lost today.

I don't know what he means when he says he changed his tactics in the 2nd set, I didn't really notice any change, looked more like a lapse of concentration to me.

Last edited by Truc : 08-15-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #82
country flag Truc

And the match report on the Bodo blog:

"A Cool Shirt
Gael Monfils looked awesome, even in defeat."
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...c-thursda.html
Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #83
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

too bad for Gael, my brothers said it was a close match.
Good luck for the UsOpen
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #84
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Big rumor of the last days: Gael with Laure Manaudou...

I admit the article sounds a bit "ťnorme" but well, who knows, both are not a model of stability. LOL

http://www.simaosavait.com/index.php...s-la-baignoire

http://www.myfreesport.fr/sports/jo2...ros-50795.html

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #85
country flag Truc

I knew it was going to be about THE rumour when I saw your name in the Monfils forum!

Yes, I've read that too, I have a Monfils news RSS feed subscribed, so I'm well informed about this kind of stories lately. But this one really beats everything, with Manaudou's bf who is supposed to have smashed his face in. ^^
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #86
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

me = gossips ? Or just cos I never go on gael's forum ?

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #87
country flag Truc

No, just because you never post here.

(C'était pas méchant, hein, je me suis juste vraiment dit en voyant ton nom "Ça, ça va être l'histoire de Manaudou à tous les coups!" avant même de cliquer sur le thread.)
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #88
country flag Truc

I was a bit afraid GaŽl would stay longer in Beijing since he seems to have so much fun there, but Ladji Doucoure wrote in his Beijing blog that GaŽl was going to leave for the US the day after his defeat. (So if the story with Laure is true, it was just his last night in Beijing anyway!)

GaŽl really has been mentioned in every other article about the French Village. In Ladji's blog. In the articles about Teddy Riner. An interview of the Jeannet brothers (the fencers)? Bing, GaŽl again. An article about Duboscq (swimmer) - he's having lunch with GaŽl.
And and and. My mailbox has been spammed with this kind of news!

The Jeannet brothers say that when they played poker together, they were gutted because the stake looked like 5 cents for the tennis players, while it was quite a lot of money for them.

Last edited by Truc : 08-18-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #89
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for these news guys
I recently read an article about the olympic village where it was written that it was the occasion for all these athletes to "date"each others and more sometimes... (they gave the example of Fed and Mirka in 2000 in Sydney)
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #90
country flag Tutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I was a bit afraid GaŽl would stay longer in Beijing since he seems to have so much fun there, but Ladji Doucoure wrote in his Beijing blog that GaŽl was going to leave for the US the day after his defeat. (So if the story with Laure is true, it was just his last night in Beijing anyway!)

GaŽl really has been mentioned in every other article about the French Village. In Ladji's blog. In the articles about Teddy Riner. An interview of the Jeannet brothers (the fencers)? Bing, GaŽl again. An article about Duboscq (swimmer) - he's having lunch with GaŽl.
And and and. My mailbox has been spammed with this kind of news!

The Jeannet brothers say that when they played poker together, they were gutted because the stake looked like 5 cents for the tennis players, while it was quite a lot of money for them.
Yeah, This Olympics I only just realised how much more Tennis players make than in other sports... I mean Michael Phelps and Ussain Bolt will be getting like $1m bonuses for their performances in the Olympics, whereas thennis players get well over 10x that for just winning a slam. I mean I read somewhere that Ivanovic got $50m just for winning her first slam and getting to world number one.

It also must suck that for the sprinters, swimmers and gymnasts, their biggest tournament offers no prize-money.