Now, pretty much, the only way you know itís an American playing is .............. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Now, pretty much, the only way you know itís an American playing is ..............

Quote:
Now, pretty much, the only way you know itís an American playing is he wears a baseball cap - Dan Markowitz
2012 US Open Edition , maybe I'll add the juniors later .

Andy Roddick

James Blake

Mardy Fish

Robby Ginepri

John Isner

Bobby Reynolds

Sam Querrey

Jesse Levine

Brian Baker

Donald Young

Steve Johnson

Bradley Klahn

Rhyne Williams

Daniel Kosakowski

Denis Kudla

Dennis Novikov

Mitchell Krueger

Bryan Brothers

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now, pretty much, the only way you know itís an American playing is .............

Harrison Brothers

Okay, they're the oddballs .

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 09-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now, pretty much, the only way you know itís an American playing is .............

I think Jack Sock could be added to the group of Baseball cap wearers too.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

After I logged off last night, I was like "oh crap I forgot about Jack". He and Rhyne always seem to wear theirs backward.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think there is any American male tennis player out there coming up that can do anything to help American tennis? Some of the younger U.S. women seem to have started doing better lately.

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Do you think there is any American male tennis player out there coming up that can do anything to help American tennis? Some of the younger U.S. women seem to have started doing better lately.
I think American tennis is getting better. Result-wise, this is probably the best showing for the American youngsters at the US Open in quite some time.

I find it very interesting that many players who made a splash this summer were former top juniors who forgoed the pro route in favor of college. That may be one of the reasons why we lack promising young players on tour.

Several turned pro last year and several just graduated and begun their pro career this summer: Rhyne Williams, Tennys Sandgren, Daniel Kosakowski, Steve Johnson, Bradley Klahn, Chase Buchanan etc. Btw, I'm still waiting on Domijan to turn pro .

The biggest head scratchers for me are Williams and Buchanan. I have always wondered why they decided to go to college. Both were former Top 10 Junior in the world ranking with impressive junior resume; they both won futures at the age of 16. My guess for Williams is maybe b/c he wanted to continue his family legacy at Tennessee. As for Buchanan, I have no clue (he was a former Les Petits Champion, Easter Bowl Champ, Jr. US Open finalist, Kalamazoo Champion). With his resume, one would think he’d go straight into the pro.

Anyway, as for who can save American tennis, IMO Jack Sock is probably the best bet. I think he is a future top 25er at least. He has the frame, the power, the serve, and the “it” factor that the American audience looks for. He enjoys playing in front of the crowd and is not afraid of the spotlight. If he wants to keep climbing the ranking, he will need to improve his backhand & movement, and learn how to manage his game better (needs to control his aggression, likes to bash the ball quite a bit ). But Jack has nice touch at the net, one of the reasons why he won the USO Mixed Doubles last year.

I still have hope for Ryan Harrison if he can somehow turn his game around (regresses a lot from last year). He pretty much went from a counter-puncher to a pusher . He has more variety and is more of a student of the game than Jack, but he lacks natural power. Ryan needs to go back to what got him into the top 100, point construction. Right now, he is just hitting the ball with no sense of purpose and no aggression.

I think Kudla, Williams, Johnson, Klahn, and Kosakowski can be top 100 material.

Kudla is in the same age group as Harrison and Sock. He is a solid baseliner and has one of the better backhands among the youngsters (needs to work on his forehand though). However, he is mentally fragile. He chokes like Ginepri . He has hard times closing out sets and matches (has a bad habit of rushing things during tight situations).

I’m fond of Rhyne Williams b/c his topspin game reminds me of Ginepri's. He likes to finish points with dropshot. Like most Americans, his backhand is a weakness and will need some work. Rhyne is a head case as well, a nutcase to be exact .

Steve Johnson is probably the most successful collegiate player ever. He won 4 consecutive Team NCAA titles and is the two-time reigning NCAA Singles Champ (finishing his career on a 72 win-streak). Steve is like an older version of Jack Sock (plays similar brand of tennis). He has a big serve, big forehand, good defensive skill, and is very athletic. He likes to run around his backand and tends to slice quite a bit b/c his backhand sucks. I like his never-die attitude and fighting spirit.

Like Johnson, Bradley Klahn just graduated. They both are trying to get a place to together and will likely be traveling together on the tour. Brad is an aggressive baseliner with a big lefty serve (my successor to James Blake ).

I also like Daniel Kosakowski . Daniel has a beautiful one-handed backhand game. I watched several of his matches and he seemed to fade away as the match progressed (confidence issue maybe). He needs to find a way to maintain his level of play if he wants to progress up the ranking.

I’m also fond of Chase Buchanan, but don’t know if he will ever fulfill his potential (has a negative attitude). Like Johnson and Klahn, he is starting out and is doing well so far (but mostly on clay). I love how he strikes the ball and takes it early, but he can be very erratic especially on a fast surface where he doesn’t have time to set up his footwork.

Dennis Novikov, who got his first slam win, also seems promising. He is tall and has big serve and easy power. But he has a hard time getting wins at the lower level. I guess he needs more time (one more year of college should do him some good).

Tennys Sandgren, who turned pro last year (former teammate of Williams), seems to be doing well. Have not seen him play yet, so no comments. Smoke said that he is a talented baseliner with game for the hardcourt.

I just wrote an essay . I think American tennis is looking up, or maybe I’m just being optimistic .

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 09-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

2012 Jr. USO Edition - Baseball Cap Wearer Club

All pictures are from zootennis. Check out the the slideshow for the rest of the junior pictures.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
After I logged off last night, I was like "oh crap I forgot about Jack". He and Rhyne always seem to wear theirs backward.
Even back in their junior days , I think my next series will be "When they were juniors".

Jack Sock

Rhyne Williams

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

The biggest head scratchers for me are Williams and Buchanan. I have always wondered why they decided to go to college. Both were former Top 10 Junior in the world ranking with impressive junior resume; they both won futures at the age of 16. My guess for Williams is maybe b/c he wanted to continue his family legacy at Tennessee. As for Buchanan, I have no clue (he was a former Les Petits Champion, Easter Bowl Champ, Jr. US Open finalist, Kalamazoo Champion). With his resume, one would think heíd go straight into the pro.
Well, here is an answer from Rhyne.

Quote:
"I guess the main reason I went to school was to mature," explained the now 21 year old. "It gave me a chance to get away from the pressure. I won a pro tournament when I was very young (16) and there was a ton of pressure for me to turn pro. I was thinking about it and I started to kind of hating tennis for a while, and I wanted to get away from the pro tennis deal. So I went to school, matured, and started enjoying tennis again."

http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1541
Still waiting to hear from Chase.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the young US player's which I haven't seen most, from what I've heard and seen though, I like Klahn the most, I saw his match vs. Melzer and seemed to beat him at his own game, I really like aggressive players like him, Melzer, Klizan, they all happen to be lefties too, wonder why that is, I haven't seen enough of him to really know his game, 1st impressions though are similar to Melzer at least in the aggressive dept., has a nice serve too, but I wonder if you could elaborate more on him, what are his biggest weakness, do you think both his FH and BH are pretty strong weapons, how is his fitness and strength movement etc.?

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.

Last edited by J99 : 09-26-2012 at 02:46 AM.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, Klahn's backhand was pretty week during the U.S. Open. Weaker than Jack Sock's and Steve Johnson's and Ryan Harrison. Come to think of it, Americans generally have really weak backhands. (What's with that?)(Some exceptions being Ginepri and Kudla). But with him, I feel like his backhand has gotten a little worse from when he won NCAAs in 2010. He's got a big serve, aggressive lefty forehand, and he is very athletic, so I think that backhand is his biggest weakness.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
In my opinion, Klahn's backhand was pretty week during the U.S. Open. Weaker than Jack Sock's and Steve Johnson's and Ryan Harrison. Come to think of it, Americans generally have really weak backhands. (What's with that?)(Some exceptions being Ginepri and Kudla). But with him, I feel like his backhand has gotten a little worse from when he won NCAAs in 2010. He's got a big serve, aggressive lefty forehand, and he is very athletic, so I think that backhand is his biggest weakness.

Out of all the players listed, IMO Johnson has the worst backhand (but I saw him play more than Klahn, so maybe his backhand is better).

Americans generally have weak backhand b/c they spend most of their time perfecting the serve and forehand. Tbh, I have a hard time thinking of an American who doesn't have a decent serve. And I can't decide who run around their backhand more between Sock, Johnson, Williams, Kosakowski, and Klahn . I think Williams has a decent backhand, but likes to run around it too much and at times has gotten him into trouble. Kosakowski's bh is not too shabby, though much weaker than his forehand. I agree that Kudla probably has the best backhand out of the young Americans; Krueger's backhand is also his stronger wing.

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 09-28-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Out of all the players listed, IMO Johnson has the worst backhand (but I saw him play more than Klahn, so maybe his backhand is better).

Americans generally have weak backhand b/c they spend most of their time perfecting the serve and forehand. Tbh, I have a hard time thinking of an American who doesn't have a decent serve. And I can't decide who runs around their backhand more between Sock, Johnson, Williams, Kosakowski, and Klahn . I think Williams has a decent backhand, but likes to run around it too much and at times has gotten him into trouble. Kosakowski's bh is not too shabby, though much weaker than his forehand. I agree that Kudla probably has the best backhand out of the young Americans; Krueger's backhand is also his stronger wing.
I find it sad that they work on the other strokes when they could naturally have a better BH when they start out, if that's how they are being taught and trained, to mostly work on serve and FH.

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Unfortunately, but that's the reality. Hardcourt players generally don't have the patience of claycourters. They tend to be more aggressive and the traditional elements of that nature are serve and forehand.

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 09-30-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
country flag J99

Quote:
Unfortunately, but that's the reality. Hardcourt players generally don't have the patience of claycourters. They tend to be more aggressive and the traditional attacking elements are serve and forehand.
It's interesting you should say that, cause I think I've been hearing that the US players are now being trained more like the clay courters, except maybe on HC's so it's not working out the same way, so that's why the young talent isn't as strong now as it once was.