Racquet suggestions - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
country flag EricJ

EricJ is on a distinguished road
Default Racquet suggestions

Hello, I'm relatively new to the game of tennis and I'm preparing to purchase a new racquet. Presently, I use a Prince Pure Performance Thunder that is an old racquet of a friend. It's a powerful racquet, but I feel as though I am outgrowing it. Moderately paced shots are easy to control and apply different types of spin, but a lot of balls that I hit hard with a lot of spin get away from me.

Even though I'm a newbie, I have advanced fairly quickly and can execute (or at least attempt) a decent variety of shots. I've played a lot of different sports and currently run track on a recreational level, so getting better has been a matter of learning the game and applying my athleticism. Not trying to brag, just giving some background info. That being said, I need a racquet that I can grow into as my skill level improves. I've been looking at the Babolat Aeropro Drive because I want to be able to generate good head speed and spin without fear of overhitting.

I don't know a lot about racquets (and I did read through the thread on Babolat), so I'd appreciate any suggestions so that I can make an informed decision.

Thanks!!
EricJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racquet suggestions

the aeropro drive is a relatively advanced players racket, which has quite a small head and is reasonably heavy. the weight of the racket is probably the most common among guys, even those who arent great technically. you should check out the pure drive, which has the same specs but is just a little more player friendly and power orientated.

every manufacturer will make something similar to those frames, so some other rackets to check out would be:

head microgel extreme
head microgel radical team (little more player friendly)
wilson kpro open
wilson k62 (little more player friendly)
dunlop aerogel 500 tour
yonex rds003
yonex rqis 2 tour (little more player friendly)
prince 03 white
prince speedport black team (little more player friendly)
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
country flag EricJ

EricJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
the aeropro drive is a relatively advanced players racket, which has quite a small head and is reasonably heavy. the weight of the racket is probably the most common among guys, even those who arent great technically. you should check out the pure drive, which has the same specs but is just a little more player friendly and power orientated.

every manufacturer will make something similar to those frames, so some other rackets to check out would be:

head microgel extreme
head microgel radical team (little more player friendly)
wilson kpro open
wilson k62 (little more player friendly)
dunlop aerogel 500 tour
yonex rds003
yonex rqis 2 tour (little more player friendly)
prince 03 white
prince speedport black team (little more player friendly)
Thanks! I've added some weight to the handle to give the racquet a bit more feel. I'm going to take some time to work on my skill level and try to demo a few different models to find the right choice..

EDIT: A Prince Precision Response just became available to me. I think I'm going to hit with that for a while before buying a new control-oriented racquet.

Last edited by EricJ : 07-19-2008 at 03:50 AM.
EricJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt go for the prince precision responce as it really is a players racket. you'd be much better off sticking to something with a 100sq inch head and around 10.5 oz
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote