US Open time - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Open time

Robby plays Amer Delic in the first round of the 2008 US Open.

--------------------------

Robby receives a wild card into New Haven, to play in one more tournament before the US Open!

Robby's always wanted to represent the U.S. at the Olympics, and Davis Cup, and now he is able to go to Beijing as one of the U.S. team members, which include Mike & Bob Bryan, James Blake, and Sam Querrey.

Robbby directly enters the main draw for Cincy. Plays Jonas Bjorkman in the first round, and Roger Federer in the 2nd round.

So, Robby directly qualified for Canada TMS after about 7 players pulled out. Robby will play Paul-Henri Mathieu in the first round. Good luck Robby!

---------------------------

Robby begins the summer hardcourt season in Indianapolis for the 8th consecutive year. He will play his first match Monday evening against Paul Capdeville. Good luck Robby!

Last edited by idolwatcher1 : 08-22-2008 at 08:47 PM.
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #2

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indianapolis (start of summer HC season)

Robby can't hold serve to save his life I'm watching the scoreboard, and he is clearly losing this match. I hope he is okay, but he is losing this match fast. I guess we'll see you in another tournament, Robby
Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Something about this doesn't seem right to me. His serve numbers are not usually that low, especially on the first serve. usually he has a few aces. But to win under 50% of his first serve points against IMO a very very average player in Capdeville on fast HC is very strange to me. all match long the SB did strange things for me too, I dunno something just doesn't seem right. Not that I'd want him to be injured but frankly if the score and stats are accurate, it'd be the only plausible explanation for such a poor performance.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
country flag Alonsofz

Alonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond repute

Deb , just to say you, Capdeville's best surface is hard, and in 2006 he was chose as the 2nd. best returner of the world, it's not really about Robby

If you like tennis and speak spanish enter here!
Alonsofz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disagree but i've seen Capdeville play a couple times (at least once on hard) and I really find him unimpressive. I know his best surface is hard, I remember he had that good result some years ago maybe in Memphis or something indoors. but it's Robby's best surface as well and he's won this tournament so I think to put up a stat sheet like that against almost any player but especially one like Capdeville is very poor. Just my opinion. I think it's a very bad result for Robby to win under 50% of his first serve points against anyone except maybe the top 3-4 players in the world but even then it'd still be pretty bad

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #6

Alonzofz, I'm gonna have to disagree with your assessment as well... I've followed countless matches of Robby's, and this was one of the few where Robby literally struggled just to win points on serve throughout the match. When his serve is on, even against returners like David Ferrer (who is consistently one of the "best returners" on the ATP stats charts), he holds serve quite well against them. In this match, it wasn't even just the bad numbers he was putting up, it was also the speed at which he was losing serve- it was much quicker than he normally loses serve. I fear that his arm was not even close to 100%, but he probably gave it his best try because he has virtually nothing to lose, and is not likely to play at Canada next week since he didn't directly qualify, so he would have some time to hopefully recover. He lost in the first round at Indianapolis last year in another night match, so he didn't have any points to defend here this year.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #7

Poor Robby he always seems to be hurt anymore
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

I don't think he was hurt, I just think he played very badly (according to some quotes after his match) or maybe he is hurt again and didn't want to blame it

Old 07-19-2008, 04:45 AM   #9

Well Robby did make it into the Rogers Masters. I'm happy about that, but surprised by the number of players who pulled out of the Tournament. Idolwatcher1 it's time to update the thread title. I have to admit that is one thing I dislike about one thread for the clay season, another for the grass season, etc. the fact that only the person that started the thread can change the thread title.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
country flag Deboogle!.

I think a lot of people pulled out for the Olympics, a few players are even skipping Cincy too so they don't have to travel to the US at all... lucky for Robby, I guess.

Supermods can also change thread titles, anyone can PM a supermod saying that the thread starter isnt around and please change the thread title. Happens a lot.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #11

Default Re: Toronto (summer HC season continues)

Hmmm... So Robby's in the main draw for Toronto... perhaps his arm is just fine.
I would be happy to know he is injury free, but it's just about as scary when he shows up at one of the tournaments which, on paper, he probably should've made the semis for, and he can't even serve to save his life in the first round after "practicing well"... :retard:

Well, needless to say, I'm not all that confident about his first round in Canada...
Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #12

Well Robby is doing battle with PHM. They split the 1st Two Sets and the 3rd Set is underway now. (Thanks for the Thread Title change idolwatcher1. I just can't see asking a Super Moderator to change a Thread Title).
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #13

Robby won So it's on to Rd 2
Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolwatcher1 View Post
Hmmm... So Robby's in the main draw for Toronto... perhaps his arm is just fine.
I would be happy to know he is injury free, but it's just about as scary when he shows up at one of the tournaments which, on paper, he probably should've made the semis for, and he can't even serve to save his life in the first round after "practicing well"... :retard:

Well, needless to say, I'm not all that confident about his first round in Canada...
By all accounts, he just had a REALLY horrible day thay day against Capdeville... better in a smaller event if it has to happen.

He did well today, Mathieu was all kinds of self-destructive with nearly 50 errors and near the end got treatment on his leg and started going for broke so the fact that he had two really good final serve games really helped Robby. good win for sure.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #15

I'm really happy Robby won! If he hadn't won, it would have been 4 losses in a row for him, and I really didn't want that weighing on his mind. But boy did he ever need that serve to work for him in that final set Not sure how much PHM helped Robby out with that, but Robby finally got over 70% of his first serves in during that final set. Maybe Robby just needs to relax more in order to play better? I dunno, after reading that he "had a good practice" in Indy only to play horribly when the match actually started, it just made me wonder if his nerves were getting the best of him. He's by no means a beginner though, so I don't like to think of him being that sensitive, but it makes me wonder

Robby must improve upon this match if he wants to beat Ferrer in the 2nd round. Ferrer has a great work ethic, and he's very highly ranked now, and it'll be very tough for Robby to play just "okay" and still win.