Hardcourt season 2008 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #46
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardcourt season 2008

Quote:
(...) Haas will play second-seeded Gilles Simon in Friday’s quarterfinals.

“You don’t think he has a lot of power when you look at him, he’s skinny and small,” Haas said. “But he does have some speed in his ground strokes as well. He runs the balls down and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. It really comes down to how I play. I have to be aggressive and solid and take my chances.”

Simon advanced by beating Germany’s Benjamin Becker 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 in the afternoon session.

“Maybe if you keep winning, you can play your best tennis is semifinals and final,” Simon said. “So it’s nice to be in quarterfinal.”

Simon said he did improve his first serve percentage from his first match. Simon made 51 percent of his first serves

“(Today) I will spend a half-hour more on the court on my serve and try to reach 60 percent,” he said.

Gilles Simon wouldn't want anyone to form an opinion of his game from Wednesday's match.

"I don't think it was a great match for both of us," he said. "When it's hot like this, it's really hard to control the ball. We're just trying to do our best."

"I just tried to focus on every shot because every shot is very hard to make. I tried to fight and not be nervous. When easy shots are going three meters out, it's hard to keep going like this."

Simon said the balls are flying with the tournament's fast courts and the temperature in the high 80s.

Simon said he hasn't seen anyone play really well this week. "I think the players can play better, but you have to play with it," he said. "It's part of the game."
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...46/1004/SPORTS

Last edited by Truc : 07-17-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #47
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quarterfinals!

Good luck against Tommy

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #48
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he won't be the favourite against Tommy, especially if he's playing ugly tennis like he says he is.
Their h2h:
2006 Halle T.HAAS 6-4 7-5
2006 Cincinnati T.HAAS 6-3 4-6 6-4

At least it will nice on the eye!
(I hope they won't give Haasi a night session because they consider him as a half-American, a match between two Europeans has to be on Eurosport...)
Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #49
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Did I read that headline right? Serve-and-volley? Really?

Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #50
country flag Truc

He says himself he just tried to keep the ball in play, so he definitely didn't play serve&volley! And he had horrible serve stats again.
Even some French articles copied that non-sense, I can understand US websites don't see it's BS because they don't know him, but French tennis websites should realize it's obviously a mistake!
Like when they copied last time the article of the ATP mixing up his serve stats and those of Groth...

Last edited by Truc : 07-17-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #51
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it will be broadcasted because I couldn't see anything on eurosport.fr ...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #52
country flag Truc

It's on Eurosport 2 in Germany. 18:30-22:15 on Friday.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #53
country flag Bobble

Bobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond reputeBobble has a reputation beyond repute

on the Tennis Channel 1230 est. as well if anyone from the states is interested

Muzza

Fogna

Dolgopolov, Petzschner, Kamke, Malisse, Haase, Andujar, Riba
Bobble is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #54
country flag Truc

“I was more aggressive and hit the ball harder,” Simon said of the final two sets. “I think why I win the match is I hit my returns well because Tommy serves well. He has a second serve that is hard to read.”
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...PORTS/80718040

I quite agree with him, since MTF doesn't want to give him any credit, he was by far not playing great tennis, but I did like his returns and his mental strength in the 2nd set when he broke back immediately and finally took that set, it was not just Haas completely losing it at that time of the match.
Poor serve stats again, though (under 50% in the first 2 sets - he said he would try to reach the 60% today!)

Querrey next, it will be their first match. Only delayed coverage of the semi and the final on Eurosport (and I doubt they will pick his semi here).
Old 07-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #55
country flag Acer

Acer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I quite agree with him, since MTF doesn't want to give him any credit,
Poor underrated Gilles
Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #56
country flag Truc

In l'Equipe today:
Quote:
Simon à la dure
Le Français s’acclimate difficilement à la chaleur, mais patience et audace lui ont rapporté une place en demi-finales.

APRÈS AVOIR BATTU Nicolas Mahut au premier tour, et avant de dominer hier Tommy Haas en quarts de finale, Gilles Simon, tête de série no 2 grâce au meilleur classement de sa carrière (25e), avait éliminé Benjamin Becker dans des conditions intenses : « À la fin du match, Becker est venu vers moi en rigolant. Il m’a dit : “ C’est moi, ou c’est impossible de jouer ici ?” » Il faisait 40 oC ! D’ailleurs, depuis le début, Blake joue à la fraîche à 19 heures tandis que, moi, je joue à 15 heures en plein cagnard. Mais bon, je suis venu là pour ça. » Pour en baver. Pour aborder les Masters Series de Toronto et Cincinnati, puis les JO de Pékin et l’US Open dans les meilleures conditions possibles : « Je sais par expérience qu’il faut au moins dix jours pour s’acclimater. Après Wimbledon, j’ai choisi de faire un break. Je me suis reposé pour couper la saison en deux et, si je vais au bout, cela prouvera que j’ai fait le bon choix en renonçant aux tournois européens sur terre battue. »
Hier, Gilles Simon a bien failli passer à la trappe : « Haas menait 6-4, 3-1, break. Je n’étais pas bon, j’avais du mal à retourner, il était passé au-dessus. Et là, je me suis relâché, j’ai réussi trois super retours, j’ai débreaké, fait un super jeu avec de beaux échanges du fond pour revenir à 3-3. Et c’est moi qui suis passé au-dessus. » Haas n’a jamais pu s’en remettre. Simon dit qu’il a eu « de la chance », mais précise sa pensée : « Dans le sens où j’ai su faire les bons coups aux bons moments, mais c’est vrai que mon niveau n’est pas top. Je suis tout seul (Thierry Tulasne est en vacances), je suis frustré, mais mon tennis revient un petit peu chaque jour. Je garde ma ligne de conduite, je ne pète pas les plombs. Le fait d’être 25e, ça aide, ça joue sur la confiance. Mes adversaires se crispent et, moi, je suis détendu. »
Le sera-t-il encore face à Querrey aujourd’hui pour essayer de décrocher sa place en finale ? « Ici, personne ne joue bien, en fait. Ce qui est dur, c’est de contrôler la balle, surtout en retour. Si je continue à bien retourner, peu importe qui j’affronte. Querrey, je ne l’ai jamais joué. On verra bien, mais en tout cas, je suis frais dans ma tête. » C’est déjà ça. – D. B.
A simplified translation:

Simon the hard way
He has troubles adapting to the heat, but patience and audacity brought him to the semi-final.
"At the end of our 2nd round match, Becker came to the net laughing and told me: 'Is it me or is it just impossible to play here?' It was 40°C! Blake has been playing every day at 19 o'clock when the temperatures have cooled down, while I've been playing since the beginning at 15 o'clock in the blazing sun. But never mind, that's the reason why I came here." To have a tough time and get ready for the next tournaments. "I know by experience one needs at least 10 days to adapt. I decided to take some time off after Wimbledon before the start of the second half of the season. If I make it to the final stage here, it will prove I did the right choice when I gave up on the European clay tournaments."
But he almost lost yesterday. "Haas was leading 6-4 3-1. I was not good, I was not returning well, he had the edge. Then I managed to relax, I played 3 great returns, I broke back and I played a great game with nice baseline rallies to come back at 3-3. From then on I was having the edge."
Haas never recovered from it. Simon admits he was "lucky", though: "I was able to play the right shots at the right time, but it's true my level of game is not high. I'm alone here [Tulasne still is on vacation], I'm frustrated, but my tennis is coming back slowly day by day. I stick to my line of conduct, I don't implode. Being ranked #25 helps, it's a matter of confidence. My opponents get tight and I'm relax."
"Actually, nobody is playing well here. It's tough to control the ball, especially in return. If I keep returning well, my opponent doesn't matter. I've never played against Querrey. We'll see, but whatever happens, I'm cool/fresh in my mind."
Old 07-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #57
country flag Brego

Brego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really been able to watch/follow any of the matches this week (and will miss today's) so I'm so grateful for everybody's comments and contributions to this past week's matches.

Fran thanks for representing us in GM. I'm too afraid to comment there.

Allez Gillou for today's match.
Brego is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #58
country flag jitterbug

Poussin could play Federer in Toronto R2 and Ernests is in there too. I'm jinxed!

(1) Roger FEDERER (SUI) vs BYE
Gilles SIMON (FRA) vs Q
Ernests GULBIS (LAT) vs Jose ACASUSO (ARG)
(14) Fernando GONZALEZ (CHI) vs Julien BENNETEAU (FRA)

Quote:
Old 07-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #59
country flag jitterbug

... and nobody cares that Gilles is in the Indy finals? Where is everyone?

Quote:
Old 07-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #60
country flag Truc

I just came back home, but it's probably better I was not home to follow that.
The French websites say he was leading 4-2 in the 2nd set? And everybody is saying in GM it was so brutally hot and they looked like they were about to faint - I hardly feel like celebrating, I just hope he'll be fine tomorrow. Why couldn't he just hold in the 2nd set? And that draw in Toronto...

English posters could see the match apparently, was it on Eurosport? Did anybody here see the match?