Hardcourt season 2008 - Page 31 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #451
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardcourt season 2008

This was a quality match too bad that 1) I only got to see the final set, 2) Gilles lost. Two men having the best summers of their careers deserved more. I think in the end, it came down to 1) del Potro's ability to end points with his fh 2) the Olympics and traveling so much this summer. But it is what it is. I look forward to seeing Gilles during the fall swing. Does anyone know his schedule?
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #452
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Bucharest on clay and then Metz and Vienna.

It really was a quality match, but not in the last set imo, the rest was much better, they were too tired at the end. Gilles wasn't playing well anymore.
And I don't think it has anything to do with the Olympics in his case. Some complained they were tired, like PHM and Cornet, but not Gilles. He had to fight so hard to stay in the match, it's really not surprising he was exhausted in the end, even if his stamina has been very good lately. He was running and fighting like crazy. Delpo was so dominating, it took a great effort to win that second set and avoid a loss in straight sets!
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #453
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

He officially was the best Frenchie at the US Open. By far.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #454
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Bucharest on clay and then Metz and Vienna.
He's stalking little Ernie

Quote:
He officially was the best Frenchie at the US Open. By far.

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #455
country flag Truc

"Officially" for me, of course. But it's indisputable.

I was wondering how to say in English his "au moins il en a chié", btw, what would be the appropriate translation? («On peut difficilement jouer mieux que ce qu'il n'a fait. Il est excellent du fond du court. Il prend tous les risques et envoie de droite ŕ gauche. Je suis sa 22e victime mais au moins il en a chié...»)
It means "I was his 22nd victim, but at least he had a hard time". But I need something more crude in English.

Last edited by Truc : 09-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #456
country flag Truc

Here is the article in L’Equipe about his match, btw, it’s pretty much the same as the audio interview, but easier to check:
Quote:
Simon tombe sur un as
CE N’EST PAS ENCORE cette année que Gilles Simon découvrira les délices d’un huitième de finale en Grand Chelem. Mais que lui reprocher ? Pas grand-chose, en vérité. Être la vingt-deuxième victime de suite de Juan Martin Del Potro après avoir vendu sa peau si cher n’a rien de déshonorant. Il a recollé à un set partout, recollé à deux sets partout, refait son break de retard après que l’Argentin eut mené 3-1, 30-0 dans le cinquième mais jamais il ne put passer devant. À la fin, les frappes supersoniques de Del Potro eurent raison de la crâne résistance du Niçois. « Là, tout de suite, c’est dur de parler. Il y a tellement de points que j’aimerais rejouer… La déception est forte mais je me dis que, quitte à perdre, autant perdre comme ça, après un énorme combat de plus de quatre heures. J’ai bouffé trop d’énergie au début pour entrer dans le match. Je ne l’ai breaké que deux fois en cinq sets, c’est qu’il y avait un problème de mon côté. Je ne l’ai pas assez fatigué et c’est pour ça qu’il a tenu physiquement jusqu’au bout. Il a été très, très bon. C’est lui qui a pris les risques, bravo. »
He’ll have to wait a bit more to enjoy his 4th round in a Slam. But what has he done wrong? Not much, actually. Being the 22nd victim of JMDP after having sold his skin so dearly is nothing to be ashamed of. He came back at 1 set all, 2 sets all, from one break down in the 5th (JMDP was up 3-1 30-0). But he never was able to take the lead and the supersonic shots of Del Potro finally broke down his "gallant" resistance.
"Right now, it’s hard to say anything. There are so many points I wish I would be able to replay… The disappointment is big, but I prefer to have lost after a huge fight of 4 hours. It cost me too much energy to get into the match. I broke him only twice in 5 sets, which means something was not working in my game. I didn’t make him tired enough, that’s why he was able to stand firm physically. He was very, very good. He took the risks, congrats."
Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #457
country flag Brego

Brego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Officially" for me, of course. But it's indisputable.

I was wondering how to say in English his "au moins il en a chié", btw, what would be the appropriate translation? («On peut difficilement jouer mieux que ce qu'il n'a fait. Il est excellent du fond du court. Il prend tous les risques et envoie de droite ŕ gauche. Je suis sa 22e victime mais au moins il en a chié...»)
It means "I was his 22nd victim, but at least he had a hard time". But I need something more crude in English.
I was his 22nd victim but at least I gave him a hellish time? or I gave him sh*t?

I said in another thread that Juan Martin said it was the hardest he had to play in a long time and that he thought he would die out there.
Brego is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #458
country flag Truc

Nice to see you back, we missed you here! Did you see Gillou's battle? Maybe he did not play his best tennis, but it was one of my favourite matches of him, he surprised me again.

I didn't know "I gave him sh*t" can be used in that sense too, but if so, it sounds like the right translation. He usually expresses himself better than that , that's why it made me laugh. He didn't get a lot of press for his match, but when he did, that's also the statement they quoted in the JDD, etc.

Andy to finish the job and to avenge Poussin tonight! But I wouldn't mind a tight 5 setter - for the entertainment, to show it's not that easy to beat Delpo since people are still whining JMDP only beat "mugs", and also for the Popeye ritual at the end, of course!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #459
country flag Brego

Brego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to the Andy/Delpo match too. Andy should get through but of course JM's confidence right now ...

I didn't get to see Gilles' match so I'm glad for the video links.

So I guess it's back to the clay (Bucharest) for Gilles and defending his title. I see Tsonga has got a wildcard for the event as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #460
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Andy doing a Popeye is so funny in a tragic kind of way

Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #461
country flag Truc

I do find his muscles impressive! Gilles doing a Popeye would be nice too, but it's not his style and he can't do it anymore now, it's patented.

It's not completely sure yet Jo will take his WC in Bucharest, Mary - maybe he will chicken out, Baby Chick is in scary form. But Richard should play.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #462
country flag jitterbug

Do you reckon he will shoot me his Glare of Death if I shout 'Allez Poussin!' next year?

Quote:
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #463
country flag Truc

Definitely, he didn't seem too fond of the nickname when he was asked about it on the radio last time.

Please take a pic then - I always startle when he gives the evil look and my pics are blurred. But that's because I don't want to annoy him, it's easier when you're not that big a fan.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #464
country flag jitterbug

I'll deliberately bait him into glaring at me then

Quote:
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #465
country flag Brego

Quote:
I do find his muscles impressive! Gilles doing a Popeye would be nice too, but it's not his style and he can't do it anymore now, it's patented.

It's not completely sure yet Jo will take his WC in Bucharest, Mary - maybe he will chicken out, Baby Chick is in scary form. But Richard should play.
Maybe Gilles can finally beat Richard. I'm sure he'll get a lot more respect from French media if he does.