Hardcourt season 2008 - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #376
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardcourt season 2008

His audio interview on the FFT website - but it's not very interesting:
http://www.fft.fr/usopen/2008/?id=4009
The journalist tells him he could have done a bit better and won in straight sets, he answers it was a very good match in his opinion and the kind of match he wanted to play.

He was careful since he had lost to Granollers last time. He had some trouble returning at the beginning and then got his game together. He played "very, very well" at the end of the 1st set and during the whole 2nd set. He conceded a stupid break at the beginning of the 3rd set, missing 2 easy FH (I think he says the sun was blinding him or something like that, he always has the worst excuses ), so he was a bit mad at himself and his game seized up. But he started playing very well again right from the beginning of the 4th set.

It's always reassuring to play in 5 sets, no risk to lose a set and the whole match in no time because of a stupid break. But every match can be tricky and there aren't any "warm-up laps" for him. As soon as he started playing slower, Granollers became very dangerous, mixing up his game well, playing good dropshots. So he needs to play his best tennis to win these matches.
Being seeded #16 is nice, but it doesn't change anything for the first 2 rounds.

Chucho is a very good player, hits hard, with a very good serve, so he'll have to be careful again. But he knows how to play against him. Now it's up to him to put it into practice.

Last edited by Truc : 08-30-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #377
country flag Pepi.
Ajmo Marin!

Pepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

Quote:
Q. Why are you playing such good tennis?

MARIN CILIC: 'Cause I'm a good player (smiling).
Marin Cilic & Jo Wilfried Tsonga
Gasquet Dimitrov Gulbis
Pepi. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #378
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Whoopee

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #379
country flag ClubFed

ClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond repute

I was at his match, and I think he played pretty well. It was pretty awkward, though, because Granollers' camp was right next to me. And at the beginning of the second set, Marcel started yelling out to his box, and then his coach would yell something back too. And they had short conversations. I think Gilles was really pissed at that. He kept glancing at MArcel's camp to kinda shut them up. It was crazy because it looked like he was glaring at me too so when he looks our way I'd yell out C'mon Gilles

"Tennis players are such hoes. It's embarassing." -MarieS
ClubFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #380
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute

thanx
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 AM   #381
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFed View Post
I was at his match, and I think he played pretty well. It was pretty awkward, though, because Granollers' camp was right next to me. And at the beginning of the second set, Marcel started yelling out to his box, and then his coach would yell something back too. And they had short conversations. I think Gilles was really pissed at that. He kept glancing at MArcel's camp to kinda shut them up. It was crazy because it looked like he was glaring at me too so when he looks our way I'd yell out C'mon Gilles
at least you made your allegiance known.

Last edited by 2moretogo : 08-26-2008 at 01:31 PM.
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #382
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

His interview in L'Equipe today:
Quote:
«Le match que je voulais»
GILLES SIMON s’est proprement débarrassé de l’Espagnol Granollers. Pour lui, tout baigne.

« TOUT LE MONDE s’attendait à ce que vous gagniez et vous avez gagné…
– Oui je sais, je sais… J’entendais au loin les “ouais bon, Simon contre Granollers, c’est du tout cuit.” Vous allez sûrement écrire que c’était un tour de chauffe, mais moi je n’aime pas cette expression. Je me méfiais de lui puisqu’il m’avait battu à Valence l’an dernier. Et on a bien vu que quand j’ai baissé dans le troisième set, je me suis fait avoir. C’était le match que je voulais pour attaquer l’US Open. Voilà, après ça, je sais où j’en suis. Je sais que je suis dedans.
– Avez-vous l’impression d’être ici dans le bon quart de tableau ?
– Je suis dans le quart de tableau où il y a ni Nadal, ni Federer, ni Djokovic.On sait tous que pour faire une trouée dans un Grand Chelem,mieux vaut les éviter. Alors oui, je sais où je suis…
– On a beaucoup parlé de ceux qui doivent enchaîner Pékin avec l’US Open et de cette “surfatigue” qui leur pend au nez. Avez-vous peur du retour de manivelle ?
– Non, pas plus que ça. Regardez, j’étais aux Jeux et Granollers non. Or, à la fin, il était mort alors que j’en avais encore pas mal sous la semelle. Dans cette histoire, la plus grande fatigue est mentale. Là, c’est quand même l’US Open, et si t’es pas motivé par l’US Open, c’est qu’il y a un souci.
« Ma philosophie, c’est de profiter »
– Vous avez pu passer trois ou quatre jours chez vous en Suisse avant d’arriver à New York. C’était nécessaire ?

– Oui, j’avais besoin de ne rien faire. J’ai dormi, j’ai fait du roller avec ma copine.
– Depuis votre victoire contre Federer suivie d’une demi-finale à Toronto, on voit bien que tout rigole pour vous. Craignez-vous le jour où l’état de grâce cessera ?
– Je ne peux pas le craindre parce que je sais déjà que ce jour viendra tôt ou tard. Ma philosophie, c’est de profiter de tout ce qui m’arrive. Profiter d’avoir pu vivre les Jeux, profiter d’être dans les seize premières têtes de série ici, profiter d’avoir une chance d’entrer dans le top10…Ce que je ne veux pas, c’est me faire avoir bêtement dans un match à ma portée. Je veux bien faire le travail chaque fois. Contre Acasuso au prochain tour, ce sera encore ça l’idée.
– Y a-t-il quelque chose qui n’a pas marché pour vous cet été ?
– Ben oui, j’ai disputé ma première demi-finale en Masters Series, mais je l’ai perdue. J’ai aussi perdu contre Blake la semaine suivante à Cincinnati parce que je servais à cent à l’heure et que je n’avais plus de jus. Donc, tout n’est pas parfait. Je suis persuadé qu’on a toujours ce qu’on mérite. Si j’ai perdu ces matches, c’est qu’il me manquait quelque chose.
– Avez-vous une idée de ce qui vous manque ?
– Je suis toujours en lutte contre mon naturel attentiste. Être patient, c’est bien, être attentiste non. Ça veut dire que vous ne faites rien quand il faudrait y aller. C’est un peu con mais pour moi, le premier point d’un match est super important. Contre Granollers, j’ai frappé direct un coup droit gagnant et ça m’a encouragé à être offensif. Je sais qu’il y a beaucoup de sceptiques qui croient que je ne peux gagner qu’en restant trois mètres derrière ma ligne. Mais je sais que c’est faux et j’espère leur prouver. »
Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #383
country flag Truc

The beginning is the same, it was the match he wanted to play, blablabla.
The journalist tells him he's in the right quarter. He says it's indeed always a good thing to be in the quarter without Nadal, Fed and Djoko if you hope to go far in a GS.
He isn't afraid to be particularly tired because of Beijing. He played at the Olympics, Granollers didn't, and at the end of the match Granollers was "dead", while he could have kept playing. The mental exhaustion is the biggest issue. But since it's the US Open, it's hard not to be motivated.
He spent 3-4 days in Switzerland before coming to NY, he needed to do nothing, just sleep and roller-skate with his gf (he always says that when he goes to Switzerland, he must spend his days roller-skating around the Neuchâtel lake with Carine!)
The journalist asks him if he's dreading the time when this good patch will come to an end. He says he is well aware it won't go like that for ever, so he isn't afraid. His philosophy is to enjoy everything which is happening to him. To enjoy having been able to take part in the Olympics, enjoy being seeded #16, enjoy having a chance to enter the top 10... He just doesn't want to lose in a stupid way a match which is winnable for him. Which applies to his next match against Acasuso.
Not everything is that great anyway. He played his first AMS semi-final, but he lost it. He lost to Blake in Cincy serving at 100 km/h. Things don't happen without a reason. If he lost these matches, it means he was lacking something.
"Any idea of what you're lacking?
- I'm always fighting against my wait-and-see nature. Being patient is a good thing, being wait-and-see isn't. It means you're not doing anything when you have to. It's a bit silly, but the first point of the match is extremely important for me. I started with a FH winner against Granollers and it encouraged me to be offensive. I know a lot of sceptical people think I can only win matches staying 3 meters behind my baseline. But I know it's not true and I hope being able to prove it."

Last edited by Truc : 08-30-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #384
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fran

Gilles

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #385
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

Fran
Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #386
country flag ClubFed

ClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moretogo View Post
at least your made you allegiance known.
I had to, he was sending daggers at my direction

Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #387
country flag Truc

I think these are exactly the words I used after having seen him this year: glaring and sending daggers! He can give people a very black look. And he sometimes picks the wrong targets - next time I go to a tournament, I think I'll brandish a sign with his name written on it!
At least you saw him all smile the other day. ^^
Thanks a lot for your posts (and your cheering!), btw.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #388
country flag Truc

It's not very interesting, but there also are a few quotes of him in the article in L'Equipe about the transition Olympics-US Open, btw:
Le retour sur le circuit, malgré le cadre somptueux du B.J. King National Tennis Center, pourrait presque paraître banal. Autoritaire contre l’Espagnol Marcel Granollers (6-4, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2), Gilles Simon n’était pas loin de le penser : « Les JO, finalement, c’est un peu une parenthèse. Là bas, je n’ai ressenti aucune pression. J’étais super content d’être là. C’était tellement différent. Tellement nouveau. Mais ce n’était pas des vacances. On était très motivés. Ici, j’ai l’impression de retrouver le “truc pro”. » De là à en craindre que l’ennui risque de s’installer au bord des courts de Flushing Meadows, il y a cependant un gouffre : « Non, non, au contraire, assurait Simon,comme les Jeux ont constitué une sorte de break dans la saison, je ne crois pas que l’enchaînement sera si difficile. »

Most of them say the fatigue is not that big a problem. The tour almost looks ordinary now in comparison (despite of the magnificent tournament venue in NYC), that’s more an issue for some of them. Gilles: "The Olympics were like a parenthesis. I wasn't feeling any pressure. I was so happy to be there. It was so different. So new. But it wasn’t really like vacation either, we were all so motivated. Here, I'm feeling like I’m back to the "pro stuff"". But he doesn't think it will be hard to go on with the normal tour now, it was just like a break in the middle of the season.

Last edited by Truc : 08-26-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #389
country flag ClubFed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I think these are exactly the words I used after having seen him this year: glaring and sending daggers! He can give people a very black look. And he sometimes picks the wrong targets - next time I go to a tournament, I think I'll brandish a sign with his name written on it!
At least you saw him all smile the other day. ^^
Thanks a lot for your posts (and your cheering!), btw.
You're welcome

I ran into him again today. I was walking with my friend and it was so weird because we both have fallen in love with Gilles. Well, we've liked him before, but ever since we saw how nice he was in person, we decided to look for him more. So we were walking around looking for him when I saw him and I whispered to my friend, "It's Gilles," trying not to get all excited and scream. And she just froze and looked at him go He was holding a couple of racquets and he passed by Florent Serra's court. He was just watching for a while and me and my friend just debated over whether we should bother him or just watch him. It was like back in high school (oh wait, I am ). "OMG, he's right there! Ask him!" "No, I don't wanna! Maybe later!" "No you gotta do it!" "No, I'm scared!" SO in the end, she dragged me and asked if he could take a picture with us, and he said "Sure," in a non-Borat voice and he put his arm on my back and I did the same.

He's so great. I'll post pics later

Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #390
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles & Jeremy leads 2-1 to Damm & Vizner................

ALLEZ GILLES
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote