Hardcourt season 2008 - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #166
country flag Acer

Acer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardcourt season 2008

Is this Gilles's first MS QF?
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #167
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

I was at his match again today and have become a fan of him. He really flattens out his shots at times so being called "The Pusher" really is wrong.

He played well today and won pretty much every important point and at the end of the match he was a nice guy again and gave me his towl. I think he likes me because I have been at 2 of his matches supporting him and congratulated him on Indy. Plus I was sitting right behind him.

I will be there again supporting him against Cilic, I got some pics of him I can upload later.

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #168
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJordan View Post
I think he likes me because I have been at 2 of his matches supporting him and congratulated him on Indy. Plus I was sitting right behind him.
If he knew you were flooding even the entry list threads with posts like "Great field - apart from Simon", "Gilles Simon shouldn't be allowed to play Masters Series events"... At least you made me laugh and I've always thought you're too good for that crap, as you know. So nice from you to change your mind and to say it!

Yes, he played a great match again yesterday. The match-up is not the most exciting one, Chucho is so sluggish and Gilles makes it look even worse, but I'm very aware he did a really great job. So much in control on the big points again, it's weird.

Here is today's article in L'Equipe about his win over Fed:
http://s2.directupload.net/images/080725/i62souho.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Format géant.pdf (319.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Truc : 07-25-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #169
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

A summary of the main article - I like how he talks in French, he's quite funny, too bad I can't always render it in English:

Just a huge scream after the MP and he immediately calmed down. "I wasn't going to do the worm like Stepanek or to run 6 times around the court like Volandri in 2007, it's not my style." In the stands, Tulasne just couldn't believe it and the mother was crying.
"It's big. I can't afford to celebrate. My tournament is not over. But I'm going to do something huge afterwards. The big thing is to beat Federer when I was always trailing." It made things easier for him: "That way I couldn't 'choke' like I did in the first set against Nadal." (at the Australian Open - he doesn't really say "choke", he talks of the "fear of winning").
He didn't beat the best Federer, but Tulasne stresses that "it was a very good match, except at the beginning when Gilles was outplayed". There were, especially in the 2nd set, very intense rallies from the baseline.
Gilles: "Gaël had told me: 'Don't worry, with him you have time to play your game'. He must have been joking! All these missiles... Ah, I was thinking of Gaël again during the match!"
"I had decided I would 'live or die' playing my own game. Right-left-right-left and 'heave-ho'! Sometimes it was going so fast from his side and from mine. Nice ping-pong!"
Tulasne means Federer didn't want to play that game from the baseline: "I have the feeling he's looking for the 'anti-Nadal' antidote and is now trying to move more forwards. But Gilles is a hell of a counterpuncher and has a great passing-shot too." Not very cautious to try to change one's game against a clever player like Simon.
This brilliant highschool student (that's for the "Simple Simon" BS! ) always has taken a scathing look at his sport. Never ask him if he has just 5 minutes for a few words. Half an hour later he's still sitting there and talking.
Then some blabla again about the fact that he was not far from being kicked out of the FFT when he was younger because of his small height (he grew up later) and his scrawny legs (that didn't change). But Borfiga kept believing in him and that's why Gilles is where he is today. Tulasne also belonged to the ones who had faith in him when he started on the tour in 2004, even if he had to leave him during a while. "Finishing a match like he did is the sign of an extraordinary mental toughness. I thought I knew him well, but I'm still discovering him."
When he went to the locker-room after the match, the first thing Gilles told him was: "So, who is the boss?" Thierry: "But, what happened?!?" It's the biggest moment in Tulasne's career as a coach. "And I wasn't the only one impressed. Everybody in the locker rooms came to congratulate Gilles. Even Söderling who usually never says a word came over. People were even congratulating me! That never happens."
And after his match against Chucho, Gilles said: "The night was not very restful! Every time I was closing my eyes, so many things came to my mind. But I really wanted that win. Otherwise my win over Federer wouldn't have had the same taste."

Last edited by Truc : 07-25-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #170
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Is this Gilles's first MS QF?
Yes, he's never made it past the 3rd round in Slams or Masters Series.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #171
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so proud of him

I like his flat game, his geometry, his way of using the court.

Allez Poussin, you rock
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #172
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Please get to your first MS SF please Gilles.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #173
country flag Truc

G. SIMON/J. Acasuso
6-3, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Another win today. How many in a row is this for you, and have you ever been on this hot a roll of tennis?
GILLES SIMON: It's eight victory in a row. It's the first time I won eight match in a row, so that's a good point for me.

Q. How does it feel?
GILLES SIMON: It feels nice. I actually feel tired, but I suppose you just can't win eight match in a row without be tired at the end.
I tried to win the next match, too. Like I said, I'm so confident. I'm tired, but I play without pressure. I just try to give the best every match, and I try to keep like this until the end.

Q. What kind of reaction have you had to your victory over Roger last night either from family or friends or from other tennis players?
GILLES SIMON: Like I said, it's very hard because you can't enjoy it. The tournament is not finished.
It's not like if you defeated Roger in the final. Then you can say, Okay, I don't play the next tournament, I don't play for one year if you don't want.
But, no, I just finished the match and it was 10:00. Then I have to rest, I have to hit, I have to go back to the hotel, the massage and everything. I had to sleep only at 1:00, and then I have the match 12:00 this morning.
I have no time to enjoy it yet. I just want to win every match. Like I said, I'm doing everything to win, so no time to party.

Q. You talked about how tired you were. Were you able to get much sleep after beating the world No. 1?
GILLES SIMON: It was hard. Yeah, I was tired so I really wanted to sleep, but every time I close my eyes I have so many things about the match.
No, really it was not a good night for me, but...
I mean, that was just unbelievable to defeat him. I really wanted to win today, because if you defeat Roger and then you lose the match right after it's not the same. If I'm still in the tournament, I'm still dreaming.

Q. You played Roger last night. Was the adrenaline still going for this match today, early this afternoon?
GILLES SIMON: Like I said, it was hard to rest, but when you defeat Roger you are so confident.
The start of the match was very important today. I had to move my legs. It was harder to move than usual.
Yes, with the confidence I didn't lose so many power. I really felt no pressure on this match. That's what is nice when you defeat a player like Roger. After, when you are on the court, you just think that you can defeat everybody.
That's why I played a great match today, even if I was tired, even if the recuperation was not so good, just with my tennis and with the confidence.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=51071
Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #174
country flag Eliande

Eliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Hardcourt season 2008

Why do they call him Poussin? And what does it mean?
Eliande is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #175
country flag Truc

That's really his nickname, we didn't make that up. "Poussin" means "baby chick" in French. He was much smaller than the other guys when he was young, he had a growth retardation issue of about 3 years, he was still 1,50 m when Tsonga & Co. were as tall as today.
That's why he's such a latebloomer on the tour too.

I'm so scared the fatigue will catch up with Poussin today...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #176
country flag Truc

He talks about it here for example, it was posted in the old thread:
(...) This 'I'm not afraid of anybody' attitude has deep roots: "I have a growth retardation of 3 years. When I was 15 years old, I was 1,53 m tall. My father and my brother had the same problem. I went to endocrinologists who told me there wasn't anything wrong, that I was going to grow up." But his opponents already were 1,80 m tall. "They were almost adults. I was still a kid, I could hardly beat them. In fact, I didn't beat them. It's a little bit frustrating to lose to a player when you know you're a better player, just because he serves at 180/190 km/h while my serves looked like underarm serves."
Other guys might have already given up at that stage, he didn't, hung on, between the piano lessons and the school, learned how to read the game of the opponent, to move better, to become a better tactician. "The short players often have a better sense of the game. It's rare to see players who are 2 m tall do great things."
(...)
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=1569
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #177
country flag Eliande

Eliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hardcourt season 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
That's really his nickname, we didn't make that up. "Poussin" means "baby chick" in French. He was much smaller than the other guys when he was young, he had a growth retardation issue of about 3 years, he was still 1,50 m when Tsonga & Co. were as tall as today.
That's why he's such a latebloomer on the tour too.

I'm so scared the fatigue will catch up with Poussin today...
Thanks ever so much for the explanation.

I also hope he won't be too tired today. But he definitely must be...
Anyway, good luck to Poussin (such a lovely nickname)!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #178
country flag Eliande

Smile Re: Hardcourt season 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
He talks about it here for example, it was posted in the old thread:
(...) This 'I'm not afraid of anybody' attitude has deep roots: "I have a growth retardation of 3 years. When I was 15 years old, I was 1,53 m tall. My father and my brother had the same problem. I went to endocrinologists who told me there wasn't anything wrong, that I was going to grow up." But his opponents already were 1,80 m tall. "They were almost adults. I was still a kid, I could hardly beat them. In fact, I didn't beat them. It's a little bit frustrating to lose to a player when you know you're a better player, just because he serves at 180/190 km/h while my serves looked like underarm serves."
Other guys might have already given up at that stage, he didn't, hung on, between the piano lessons and the school, learned how to read the game of the opponent, to move better, to become a better tactician. "The short players often have a better sense of the game. It's rare to see players who are 2 m tall do great things."
(...)
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=1569
How tall is he now? He looks quite tall, actually (on TV).
Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #179
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

He's about 5'11" now.

Oh gosh little chicken I go away for three days and you had to choose one of those days to go and beat Roger?

I should go away more often - he'd be #1 in no time.

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #180
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
He's about 5'11" now.

Oh gosh little chicken I go away for three days and you had to choose one of those days to go and beat Roger?

I should go away more often - he'd be #1 in no time.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote