The "Andy's Classy Win or Lose & That's Why We Still Love the Loser" Summer HC Thread - Page 89 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #1321
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Maybe Andy Can Learn from the WINNER SWIMMERS before the USO" Summer HC Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
pics

please beat seppi on sunday, thanks.
I just got back from a crazy day at the open...how did Andy look, was the match any fun to watch? I got in and Andy had just won and USA had house playing....
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #1322
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Maybe Andy Can Learn from the WINNER SWIMMERS before the USO" Summer HC Thre

more

it was touch and go for a while Ryan. Andy got pretty lucky but fought hard and improved as the match went on.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #1323
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
more

it was touch and go for a while Ryan. Andy got pretty lucky but fought hard and improved as the match went on.
Cool...how did the always questionable forehand look?
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #1324
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

All right campers, I've had a long 3 days at my new job and I am scooting along to bed, but I have a big smile on my face. I am very happy for him, this win was good and he needed to show that kind of fight again.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #1325
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7e059bd47ee921fbf354e0070932f537-getty-77849006mh126_u_s_open_day_.jpg (167.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1220x.jpg (230.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg b6f8837a8b24539196b717c4db3d6fa9-getty-77849006mh129_u_s_open_day_.jpg (165.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 498877e1adbb8f46c6db18aec1aecdee-getty-77849006mh135_u_s_open_day_.jpg (112.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 8613f6727d2e4b923fd3ef323633e0d1-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (65.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4a22bcfd276f5e780eaf121daafebacb-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (261.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg c07acfab23da6a7de1d0ee6d75350503-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (106.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cdbbd068700a0b3ee03190f384263e66-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (214.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 83e86206bc9ebf5f546078967756d871-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (264.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 00f115a4236240ad8e34b6fda70c2afa-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (194.8 KB, 7 views)

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #1326
country flag Deboogle!.

his fh was touch and go as well. hard to say at the beginning, gulbis was honestly just blowing him off the court.... then it got a lot better....

==============

if you want to watch the video: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...077765468.html

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How did you pull that out?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. You know, I guess one thing that no one will dispute is that I pretty much leave it out there every time, and if I lose, it's not for lack of effort. You know, nights like tonight sometimes it's beneficial.
You know, when he steps up and is hitting his shots, he hits so hard there's not a lot you can do. He literally just cracks the ball. I just tried sticking around and mixed up the paces a little bit. Tried to make him hit shots that I thought might be less comfortable for him.
You know, somehow I got the momentum going my way.

Q. It looked like you trashed not one but two of your racquets at that one point. I mean, how do you regain your composure after getting to that breaking point?
ANDY RODDICK: Actually I probably loosened up a bit, you know. In your mind you're thinking, okay, well, I don't think you're expecting to break, you know, with him serving the way he had been. You know, you're kind of just trying to get ready, play okay and if it happens it happens, get ready to try to push if it for five.
I only broke one. I just broke it a couple times just for -- just to be thorough. (laughter.)

Q. You mentioned that the first and second round that your draw was not an easy one. Was this the most difficult early round match you've had as a top 10 seed here?
ANDY RODDICK: No, I played -- the year I won, I played Henman, who was the next guy to be seeded, and he was actually -- I had a really good summer that year and he was the only guy I had lost to. So that was kind of a match that everyone was looking at. Second round I had to play Ljubicic so that was a pretty tough draw, also.
But, you know, when I came out here, I know a lot of people didn't think I would be around long, and they were expressing that. So, you know, I was watching tennis today and I'm hearing I'm not the favorite in the match. I took a little bit of offense to that, just because, you know, the guy was one match over .500 for the year, and, you know, I feel like I've proven I'm a decent player, probably better than one game over .500. This is a tournament that I play well at. You know, he almost -- he was real close to proving everyone right.
You know, the tournament is just starting now.

Q. So much of this is momentum. But considering all of those things that you heard today but then doing what you did on a showcase like this, I don't know, do you feel like maybe this is a boost for you as far as...
ANDY RODDICK: Well, yeah. One thing I've said I have over 95% of the players in this tournament is playing in that atmosphere, I'm totally comfortable playing in that atmosphere. I like it, and tonight when people are dancing in the stands, you know, I love that. I'm having a blast out there, even watching it.
You know, I'm not intimidated by that stadium. I've been there plenty of times, and, you know, it's probably a stadium that takes the most getting used to the first time. The wind is a little bit different in there. The atmosphere is a little crazier with the New York crowd, so that's something that is advantageous for me.

Q. Seemed like it took you staving off that first set point against you in the second for that crowd to really start the Andy Roddick chant, and from then on that's when you seemed to really wide the wave of their cheers?
ANDY RODDICK: You know, I think it's probably the first time I gave them something to cheer about. You know, it's pretty much -- you have been in enough sporting events, the home team comes out and is getting shellacked. That's the easiest way to take the crowd out of it. I was definitely taking one before I was able to turn it. As soon as I gave them a little bit of it, you know, they gave me a lot of themselves, which is mighty nice.

Q. Before tonight's match, you knew that he was a very decent player. He beat Robredo last US Open over here. What quality of his tennis amazed you the most tonight?
ANDY RODDICK: I think he's going to be dangerous when he learns how to construct points and play. Right now he just cracks the ball. Sometimes I said you're helpless. I'm sitting there in the fourth set, hitting good returns. If he cranks the first ball as hard as he can there's not much you can do about it, just try to fight him off and hope the errors pile up where you get a shot where you can attack. You know, it's -- you know, the amount of power that he has is impressive.

Q. Is it a bigger deal for you to have won this way than to have just won if you had won a straight set? I mean, does this do more for your confidence?
ANDY RODDICK: You know, you feel like you're in the tournament. The other night was great and I played well. Obviously if you have a choice you want to go in and win easily. This was a US Open match here. This was a night session match. This is kind of what people come to expect of night matches. You get in there and it's kind of like a brawl, and the atmosphere is great, and so, you know, you really feel like you're settled into the tournament.

Q. What prompted the comment after the match about "people need to get a room"? Did I hear that right? Did you catch something down the court?
ANDY RODDICK: I think, he was making reference to I guess the rambunctious nature of the crowd, and literally it's the first time I seen it here. I looked up and there's girls on the big screen dancing on top of their tables in the suite and some guy and girl freak dancing in the corner. I was like, "This is great." Might as well get a win while we're out here. It felt like a party in the stadium on switchovers.
I don't think he's even old enough to go out yet, is he? I knew I had him then.

Q. When was the last time you felt that whole energy? Did you feel that in the 2006 final or do you have to go back farther than that?
ANDY RODDICK: '06 you had a lot of -- there's, crowd got behind me there because I had almost been but written off at 23, and, you know, I think they wanted me to come back and do well, and that was probably the most fun tournament I've had in my career so far, even more so than winning.
But you get that kind of crowd at Davis Cup, also, not specifically this court, and I think that was your question here.
The atmosphere last year for my match with Roger was probably more intense than the final the year before. It was like a boxing match. I mean, they were anticipating something good, and I played great that night and just got beat, but that was probably the most electric atmosphere I've been a part of here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7f5d73a3662827a33d50211cae52e859-getty-tennis-us_open-roddick.jpg (158.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg r3611255099.jpg (19.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_08_30t015627_357x450_us_tennis_open_roddick.jpg (31.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg b_0829_094_roddick.jpg (72.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg b_0829_099_Roddick.jpg (54.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg b_0829_100_Roddick.jpg (49.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 08-30-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #1327
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

he'll kill me one day...but until then

oh and Happy Birthday Andy!:

----------

Roddick overcomes disastrous start to get by Gulbis

By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Once upon a time, a brazen native Nebraskan won the U.S. Open a week past his 21st birthday. It was his first Grand Slam victory and it marked him as a rising star. He finished the year as the No. 1-ranked player in the world. He had a huge forehand and a searing serve; seemingly, even the sky could not limit his tantalizing potential.

It's been five years since Andy Roddick won the U.S. Open here at the National Tennis Center.

While, predictably, he has evolved as a person -- he is engaged to be married, has given his time to a variety of worthy causes and even won a humanitarian award. But what of his tennis game? The fact is, it hasn't grown dramatically, neither in force nor complexity, and the world's best have begun to pass him by. And it's not just Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. Younger players are coming into the game with more speed, power and imagination.

On Friday night, another fearless opponent stepped across the threshold. Ernests Gulbis, a 19-year-old Latvian with spectacular skills, was Roddick's third-round opponent. Gulbis left the rousing match a 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 7-5 loser, but when it was over he was no longer a teenager.

The match, in the classic U.S. Open late-night tradition, concluded at 1:33 on Saturday morning.

"He was definitely outplaying me for the first two sets," Roddick said in an on-court interview. "I felt like a kid playing against him, then the clock struck 12 and I started playing like a 26-year-old."

Yes, in a nifty piece of symmetry, it was Roddick's birthday, too.

"Tonight," Roddick said, "was one of those ones where I just won effort."

It was an uplifting victory, to be sure, probably Roddick's most significant victory since beating Federer back in March in Miami. But the fact remains: Gulbis was breathtakingly close to winning the second set -- just two points away. Roddick had to win six straight games to turn it around. That Roddick had to work this hard to win a second-round match against a player who has won one more match this year than he has lost does not bode well.

Going forward, there are two winnable matches, but the quarterfinals will deliver a certifiably dangerous opponent. It would most likely be one of the following: Novak Djokovic (21 years old), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (23) or Marin Cilic (19). How will Roddick respond to that more difficult challenge?

It's been a cathartic season for Roddick. He's beaten the three top players in the world -- Nadal, Federer and Djokovic -- but his body has paid the aching price. Twenty-five, believe it or not, is approaching middle age in professional tennis. For the first time in his career Roddick had a difficult time getting on the court. His back, shoulder -- the very fulcrum of his game -- and neck all expressed their displeasure at one time or another.

All the while Roddick understood that the 2008 U.S. Open might prove to be his best last chance to win a second Grand Slam. Consequently, he made some difficult decisions.

While most of the world's best players committed to the Olympics, one of America's most patriotic tennis players -- who led the U.S. Davis Cup team to victory last year, passed on the Beijing to concentrate on fortifying his game. Although his brother John has been his acting coach since the March departure of Jimmy Connors, Andy anted to make a change. He asked U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe -- for Roddick, the coaching equivalent of comfort food -- to guide him through this important tournament.

The first round went smoothly enough, as Roddick dropped only six games to 35-year-old Fabrice Santoro. The second began disastrously.

Gulbis stunned Roddick, winning 15 of his 16 first service points on the strength of six aces. Serving at 4-3 in the second set, saved a break point with a fantastic stretch slice backhand and held for a 5-3 lead. After Roddick held, Gulbis was two points from winning the second set when Roddick ran down a dropshot and hooked in a forehand. Gulbis, unnerved, sent a forehand long and Roddick was pumping both arms, sending the crowd at Arthur Ashe Stadium into convulsions.

"That was the turning point in the match," Gulbis conceded. "If I had won the second set, I would have felt mentally and physically better."

Gulbis, visibly shaken, lost his ability to serve and Roddick disappeared with the third set. The Latvian, he of the famously uneven keel, slowly unraveled. He actually had a game point to force a fourth-set tiebreaker but a challenge by Roddick and the subsequent replay showed that his serve that was called an ace was actually out. Two deuces later, Gulbis hit two forehands long and Roddick was the winner.

"Good luck to Andy," Gulbis said to the crowd. "Now I will go and practice."

Since winning here five years ago, Roddick has lost in the final once (in 2006, to Federer), twice in the quarterfinals and once in the first round.

This is still his best shot at a second Grand Slam.

The passionate U.S. Open crowd, which was nearly as impressive as the players considering the late hour, is with him.

"I was up in the third set and saw a couple of people booty dancing," Roddick said laughing. "One couple up there looked like they needed to get a room. I said, 'I've got him where I need him -- this is my type of crowd.'"

Is he playing, the breathless reporter asked over the public address system, at that superb 2003 level?

Roddick paused as the crowd cheered.

"I've been off awhile, but I'm going to get there," he said. "I'm just going to keep trying to get better. If this crowd comes with me, who knows?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...reg&id=3560518

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #1328
country flag Oj-Ala

Oj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
pics

please beat seppi on sunday, thanks.

He definetely will

GO ANDY ! all the way to the semis at least
DEL POTROGASQUETKIEFERCLEMENTANDREEV...

"Im a great kisser" -Andy Roddick

Roger: YOU ARE GOLD !

Oj-Ala is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #1329
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while since I post here, but I still remain a fan of the duck. Between him and Jelena Jankovic, I think I might end up dead before this US Open is finished.

And here's a big Happy Birthday to you Andy! Hope you have fun!

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #1330
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Andy, that was close. He's gonna have to come out of the gate a lot better than that against Seppi. Hopefully he get some good rest and is ready for the next match. I hope the fh shows up and he starts blasting it like he did against Santoro.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #1331
country flag seljanin

seljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond repute

Andy

Ernests

to both!

Well, I didn't like Andy's FH at all today. It was so passive. I hope he will improve and that this was just a tactic vs Ernests, who was spraying unforced errors all over the place.

Good luck, Andy! And, please, whatever you do, DON'T LOSE to Seppi.

F. Mayer/M/Youzhny/F. Fognini/J. Nieminen/L. Rosol/G. Muller/D. Brands/I. Sijsling/K. de Schepper/L. Hewitt/J. Zopp/M. Berrer/I. Karlovic/F. Nielsen/C. Guccione

S. Querrey/J. Janowicz/F. Lopez/B. Baker/R. Harrison/L. Kubot/S. Darcis/D. Meffert/M. Przysiezny/H. Podlipnik-Castillo/A. Olivetti/A. Bogdanovic/P. Oswald/A. Juška/V. Ivanov/R. Bloomfield/N. Rosenzweig
seljanin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #1332
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap Andrew Gulbis

Now let's beat Seppi kthanks?
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #1333
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

*phew* seems I left just in time for him to get better! I was soooo happy to wake up and see that he had won this morning, it really didn't look all that likely when I left.

Since he won I guess he deserves it- Happy birthday to Andy! did he get cake at the end or did they sing or anything?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #1334
country flag Deboogle!.

nah Jo they just flashed a thing on the sign boards in the stadium

Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #1335
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

aww, that's mean. They could've at least sung since it was both their birthday!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote