General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #121
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Mourier did exactly what all the umpires do when they are going as far as they dare. They wait until a big point. Rafa was a set and break up, was serving to consolidate and fell behind 15-40, 30-40. While he took much longer on previous points, he got the warning serving at break point, and promptly double faulted. The closest the umpire dares without taking point penalty.

If the umpire really was bent on enforcing the rules, he'd call out the violation as soon as it happens, the FIRST time, on some meaningless point if it happens to be. Then the players would know, or be aware, that there might be another code violation and a point penalty coming down the pike later.
Spot on.

I would really appreciate to see an umpire indeed bent on enforcing the rules like you state... but it's not going to happen, alas.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #122
country flag RafaTheBest

RafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond repute

Calling a warning when he is facing two break points is a shit thing to do. Wait till a less important point.

MADNESS???
THIS IS TENNIS!!!
RafaTheBest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 AM   #123
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaTheBest View Post
Calling a warning when he is facing two break points is a shit thing to do. Wait till a less important point.
Nonsense. The rules are there for a reason. Whatever a point is due should not be a decive matter at all.

Anathema

Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #124
country flag RafaTheBest

RafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
Nonsense. The rules are there for a reason. Whatever a point is due should not be a decive matter at all.
But as the announcer pointed out, on the point he got warned on, he was actually quicker to serve than on several other points before where he took longer. I'm sorry but that was a crappy thing for that ump to do.

MADNESS???
THIS IS TENNIS!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #125
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Theoretically yes. But if he did it before already a dozen of times, you're going to wonder why it was especially this point.

It's a bit like in basketball. The whole match the ref doesn't make an illegal defense call at all. Then suddenly they're making this call at 80-80 with 10 seconds to go

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #126
country flag RafaTheBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
Theoretically yes. But if he did it before already a dozen of times, you're going to wonder why it was especially this point.
Exactly my point! I don't mind if he gets warned for it, but to ignore it all match then suddenly call it when he if facing 2 BP's is super lame.

MADNESS???
THIS IS TENNIS!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #127
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaTheBest View Post
But as the announcer pointed out, on the point he got warned on, he was actually quicker to serve than on several other points before where he took longer. I'm sorry but that was a crappy thing for that ump to do.
The umpires seem to be really scared to enforce the RULES of the game as soon as a violation is made. I agree that this was a bad moment, Mourier should indeed have pointed it out sooner. Alas, it looks like the umpires are afraid of implying the rules when it needs to be done... i.e. at the FIRST time when a player breaks a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
That's true, and here's my point, again: umpires should call out players IMMEDIATELY when they break the time rules (or any other rule btw). And in case said player does it again - a loss of a point.

Anathema

Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #128
country flag eddie_hyden

eddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond reputeeddie_hyden has a reputation beyond repute

no one.

if u're good, you shouldn't lose to someone who takes extra 20 seconds anyway...
eddie_hyden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 AM   #129
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The umpires seem to be really scared to enforce the RULES of the game as soon as a violation is made. I agree that this was a bad moment, Mourier should indeed have pointed it out sooner. Alas, it looks like the umpires are afraid of implying the rules when it needs to be done... i.e. at the FIRST time when a player breaks a rule.

That's true, and here's my point, again: umpires should call out players IMMEDIATELY when they break the time rules (or any other rule btw). And in case said player does it again - a loss of a point.
Perhaps. But when the umpire does not call a warning throughout the match and waits until a crucial point to call a warning, that is also wrong.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #130
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #131
country flag Minn

Minn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoo Foo View Post
Love it! Blame my country; we're tough, we can take it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_hyden View Post
no one.

if u're good, you shouldn't lose to someone who takes extra 20 seconds anyway...
Yep!
Minn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 AM   #132
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Mourier did exactly what all the umpires do when they are going as far as they dare. They wait until a big point. Rafa was a set and break up, was serving to consolidate and fell behind 15-40, 30-40. While he took much longer on previous points, he got the warning serving at break point, and promptly double faulted. The closest the umpire dares without taking point penalty.

If the umpire really was bent on enforcing the rules, he'd call out the violation as soon as it happens, the FIRST time, on some meaningless point if it happens to be. Then the players would know, or be aware, that there might be another code violation and a point penalty coming down the pike later.
Exactly. Doing the former is unprofessional and certainly deserves an angry response from any player. Nadal was pretty lowkey in venting his justified anger.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #133
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Perhaps. But when the umpire does not call a warning throughout the match and waits until a crucial point to call a warning, that is also wrong.
That is exactly what I alreay said.
Do it IMMEDIATELY, and not wait till the player in question has done so a multiple amount of times...

Anathema

Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #134
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
Exactly. Doing the former is unprofessional and certainly deserves an angry response from any player. Nadal was pretty lowkey in venting his justified anger.
You guys do realize that calling the time violation earlier woudl mean the next one would be a point taken? I perceive the decision as it was as a not very good compromise - I won't dare slap you with a point loss, so I'll issue the warning at a more important point.

I really think they should enforce the time rules consistently throughout the match and throughout the season. Nadal is not the only one prone to preparing long enough that I think I'll be retired by the time he serves. The guy on the other side of the net has to be ready to return, it breaks the rhythm. If the rule was enforced consistently, I'm sure the players would grow out of the habit.
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #135
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

All said, I have nothing against long prepared serves, I couldn't care less if the rule is changed to 50sec instead of 20. I see no point whatsoever in running around Duracell rabbit-like as Agassi used to do, it actually makes me nervous.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote