General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #91
country flag Quadruple Tree

Quadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

It's great to see the Nadal fans adding well reasoned, thoughful comments to all these threads.
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #92
country flag sawan66278

sawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Of course... so if someone is caught with cocaine in a blood test it shouldn't count because it's a habit too?

Of course, if you're biased towards Nadal...

Both are bad enough.
Just curious...is there a rule against rolling around in the grass like a pig, faking injuries, and going 1/15 on breakpoints in a five set match? Just wondering...

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #93
country flag aroofnow

aroofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Sure and he's working on it but he's never going to be a quick player between points anyway.

He can be quick when it suits him, for instance, when sprinting from the net to the baseline after the coin toss.

I agree that a proper discussion about this should be possible but I take just about everything I read after a big tournament with a huge pinch of salt and of course, there are people in here with a hidden agenda (granted, not all of them...like I said, you can hardly deny that he doesn't take a lot of time).
I can assure you I have no hidden agenda, and I'm certainly not a Nadal hater, and starting this thread at this time has nothing to do with sour grapes. It just seems unfair that a player should be able to get away with such systematic timewasting, and my purpose for this thread was to establish why Nadal does it, who's to blame, and what can be done to improve matters.
aroofnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #94
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Tree View Post
It's great to see the Nadal fans adding well reasoned, thoughful comments to all these threads.
Always a pleasure.
T2KN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #95
country flag ReturnWinner

ReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Umpires have not guts to stop it,they just give Nadal a single warning which it doesn't mean anyhing as the spanish keeps doing this match after match
ReturnWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #96
country flag hra87

hra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond repute

Every sport has rules that are never enforced. For instance, they hardly ever call travelling in basketball. Imagine if every law were enforced...it would be absolutely ridiculous. It's not special treatment either, they don't call that rule on anyone. Maybe other players don't break it as much, but every player has broken it, and it just isn't called. Hardly the end of the world, and it's not like it's the deciding factor in a match.

And also, if his timewasting is gamesmanship, why the hell does he take so long to do EVERYTHING. Did everyone notice that they were about to pull the court covers over him he took so long to pack his bags during rain delays?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #97
country flag RafaTheBest

RafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond reputeRafaTheBest has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I couldn't read the original post over the glare of Nadal's shiny new Wimbledon trophy. Please carry on.

Seriously though, BOO-HOO! There are plenty of other players who do it. You only bitch about Nadal because he owns "God's child" Federer. Get over it.

MADNESS???
THIS IS TENNIS!!!
RafaTheBest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #98
country flag kafemotor

kafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond reputekafemotor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Exactly. I don't know why an umpire would chose to warn only and why another would be ok with taking point penalties. My guess is, all the umpires would have to get together and make a pact to be consistent. There are probably numerous other players besides the ones we see on TV who take too much time. In order to be fair, every one of them would have to start getting dinged. It's probably not going to happen, so the officials will probably continue doing what they are doing, with their 'gentle little nudges and warnings.' As far as I know, Hantuchova is the only one who's ever gotten a point taken from her. It didn't stop her from her routine.
I quote u either bcz glenn and you made a good point IMO or bcz this silly idea just came across my mind.

In order to enforce the rule, the umpire before the beginning of the match will allow players not only to warm up, but also practice all the rules about time usage/wasted we are talking about this entire 24 hours... the umpire counts it and tell each player his... by doing so he gives an advice and precaution. players will adjust his time usage between points/set and get finalized whenever they break or at least rite after the first one....
kafemotor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #99
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond repute

There is a serious point here and it is disheartening to see the number of pathetic and childish responses which are really nothing to do with the subject.

I personally don't like the timewasting but that means nothing in the greater context.

There is just no way an umpire is going to put himself in the firing line and take on the top players in the world and especially one of the greatest crowd pullers.

The bottom line is that it is up to the players themselves to take action. If they are happy to go on court and let their opponent get away with it that's their problem.

This will continue until someone actually has the nerve to make an issue of it during a match and continually complain to the umpire when it happens. Then the umpires will have no choice but to warn, dock a point, dock a game, then finally declare the match default if the perpetator continues.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #100
country flag dkw

dkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond reputedkw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
There is a serious point here and it is disheartening to see the number of pathetic and childish responses which are really nothing to do with the subject.

I personally don't like the timewasting but that means nothing in the greater context.

There is just no way an umpire is going to put himself in the firing line and take on the top players in the world and especially one of the greatest crowd pullers.

The bottom line is that it is up to the players themselves to take action. If they are happy to go on court and let their opponent get away with it that's their problem.

This will continue until someone actually has the nerve to make an issue of it during a match and continually complain to the umpire when it happens. Then the umpires will have no choice but to warn, dock a point, dock a game, then finally declare the match default if the perpetator continues.
Are you suggesting the same for bouncing/breaking racquets, cussing, etc. The umpire is there to use his discretion otherwise all we would need is a buzzer.

Concerning Nadal's "timewasting" - MacTheKnife made a good point earlier in this thread - the players don't complain because they probably like the few extra seconds to mentally and physically regroup themselves. If Nadal sped things up the pressure would almost be constant.
dkw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #101
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkw View Post
Are you suggesting the same for bouncing/breaking racquets, cussing, etc. The umpire is there to use his discretion otherwise all we would need is a buzzer.

Concerning Nadal's "timewasting" - MacTheKnife made a good point earlier in this thread - the players don't complain because they probably like the few extra seconds to mentally and physically regroup themselves. If Nadal sped things up the pressure would almost be constant.
Ok!Ok! nadal's gamesmanship is actually benefiting to the other players. I GUESS that's why it increases astronomically when he is facing BP to help the other players concentrate & "gather themselves"
to plan their next move..
luie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #102
country flag marcRD
Banned!

marcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond repute

The umpire is to blame. I see no point with all these threads critisising minor details about Nadal now just because he won.
marcRD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #103
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post
The umpire is to blame. I see no point with all these threads critisising minor details about Nadal now just because he won.
Exactly. The only one who's to blame is the umpire, noone else, let that be clear.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #104
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Roofel. Of course Nadal can be blamed, he is the one deliberately taking advantage of the pussy umpires,

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #105
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post
I said that in my first comment, of course it's up to the umpire to enforce the rules, but if they don't, then naturally the cycle is going to continue.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote