General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #76
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniTennis View Post
And as I said I agree with you coz the rules are the rules are the rules, but starting a thread pointing out Rafa's supersized ego and over-inflated opinion of himself (not massive ego, for that I stand corrected) as one of the likely causes for doing so is bookcase for hating.
I fully agree with you, that is uncalled for and right-out silly. If there's ONE player around who should not be said to have a supersized ego, it's Raf.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #77
FedFan

FedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan has a reputation beyond repute

Timewasting is gamesmanship plain and simple.

It is up to the umpires to enforce the rules. Otherwise every player should be allowed to take as much time as he wants.
FedFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #78
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I don't believe for a minute that nay player takes extra time due to gamesmanship or whatever vile reasons in the first post. Probably every elite player has been coached from early in their career about doing something to maintain focus and concentration, and some players have developed a routine between serves that is devised to use up the whole 20-25 seconds allowed. (See Sharapova, Djokovic, Hantuchova, Pierce etc.) Unfortunately, Nadal's routine has too many little components, each of which can vary in the time taken ( ball bouncing, wedgie picking, hair tucking, ball selection) and can easily exceed the allowed time when he is more tight or nervous.

It is up to the umpire to keep players adherent to the rules. Hanutchova was given a point penalty at one time in her career which cost her a match. I think it gave her opponent match point. I think when the umpire chose to warn Nadal at a big time ( serving for a set or to avoid a break that would end a set) he was going as close to the point penalty as he dared. If he was willing to take the point away, he'd really do the warning at the first occurrence and then take a point at the next. I don't know what makes an umpire do what they do, really.

But the commentators have noted time and again how certain big players (Djokovic and Nadal) take too much time and should be careful. They probably do notice these things and try to make adjustments, but sometimes old habits just die hard.
Only when a player starts losing points and games on timewasting that he'll change it. Warnings mean nothing.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #79
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Only when a player starts losing points and games on timewasting that he'll change it. Warnings mean nothing.
Nadal is the Wimbledon Champion. Read it one more time Hopefully, it will make you feel better. Nadal is the Wimbledon Champion
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #80
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This has been talked about since he first started on tour. The twisting of this fact to seem like it started today is nothing new though. Everytime someone complains it's the same thing.
Hm, so it's a coincidence this thread is started two days after he wins Wimbledon?
T2KN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #81
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
Nadal is the Wimbledon Champion. Read it one more time Hopefully, it will make you feel better. Nadal is the Wimbledon Champion
See, this is the kind of pathetic childish reaction you get.

See Karin?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #82
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoColATe&Rafa View Post
Hm, so it's a coincidence this thread is started two days after he wins Wimbledon?
This is probably the tenth or so thread about this.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #83
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See, this is the kind of pathetic childish reaction you get.

See Karin?
You are so mature. You are my role model

Nadal is the Wimbledon champion
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #84
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is probably the tenth or so thread about this.
No, that can't be right. He has beaten Fed 12 times, not 10. There should be twelve threads.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #85
lurker

lurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Exactly. I don't know why an umpire would chose to warn only and why another would be ok with taking point penalties. My guess is, all the umpires would have to get together and make a pact to be consistent. There are probably numerous other players besides the ones we see on TV who take too much time. In order to be fair, every one of them would have to start getting dinged. It's probably not going to happen, so the officials will probably continue doing what they are doing, with their 'gentle little nudges and warnings.' As far as I know, Hantuchova is the only one who's ever gotten a point taken from her. It didn't stop her from her routine.
lurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #86
country flag Ginger

Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Indeed great moment in history! As good as seeing Floyd Landis winning the Tour de France (RIP). Memorable!
Ginger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #87
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Indeed great moment in history! As good as seeing Floyd Landis winning the Tour de France (RIP). Memorable!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #88
country flag T2KN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I had never felt so happy for a person that isn't me. That final truly is engraved in my memory forever; I hadn't expected I'd ever see something like that, as hadn't many. Plus, now they don't need to repeat the Borg-McEnroe final during rainbreaks every time.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #89
country flag Kitty de Sade
Retired Party Hostess

Kitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You are doing a good thing here, Hema. Too bad it is lost upon people who refuse to be happy for him. Any configuration of gripes, complaints, and excuses won't change the truth in your post. Works quite nicely.

As for the OT- Nadal is put on a clock, and goes over the 20 seconds, let the brass man up and call him on it. Period. As long as they don't, expect more of the same.
Kitty de Sade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #90
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote