General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #61
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Of course... so if someone is caught with cocaine in a blood test it shouldn't count because it's a habit too?
I've noticed... You're an annoying little leprechaun.

Apart from that, using cocaine and staring at the ball a couple of seconds longer than is allowed can't be compared and to try and do so is ridiculous.
T2KN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #62
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
The ATP and the ITF are doing everything they can to favour moonballers, so what can you expect?
I feel for you. You alone can save the world
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #63
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoColATe&Rafa View Post
Apart from that, using cocaine and staring at the ball a couple of seconds longer than is allowed can't be compared.
Both are not within the actual tennis rules and should be punished...
Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #64
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
Both are not within the actual tennis rules and should be punished...
*fangirlgoestogetwhip*

OK, OK, of course it's not within the rules but if the opponents don't really take all that much offence (unless they're terrified to lose/have lost already), why should the umpire say something. I think it's so useless to get worked up over a couple of seconds. Why does it matter?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #65
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
*fangirlgoestogetwhip*

OK, OK, of course it's not within the rules but if the opponents don't really take all that much offence (unless they're terrified to lose/have lost already), why should the umpire say something. I think it's so useless to get worked up over a couple of seconds. Why does it matter?
It obviously takes lots of players off balance, very few complain publicly though, because it is up to the umpire to enforce the rules, not to the players themselves...
Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #66
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've noticed... You're an annoying little leprechaun.

Apart from that, using cocaine and staring at the ball a couple of seconds longer than is allowed can't be compared and to try and do so is ridiculous.
I pity people who can't understand a parallel.

What about this:

- who cares if it's a habit? It doesn't make it right.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #67
country flag T2KN

Quote:
I pity people who can't understand a parallel.
A parallel is something that falls under a more or less equal height. What you show in most of your posts is simple exaggeration and drama.

Quote:
It obviously takes lots of players off balance, very few complain publicly though, because it is up to the umpire to enforce the rules, not to the players themselves...
Well then, until they grow a backbone I guess you all just will have to live with it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #68
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
And that's the key point. The umpires are there to enforce the rules of the game. It's not like, 'oh, as long as nobody takes offence, I can do what I want'..., neither is it the player's task to complain.

Enforce the rules, plain and simple.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #69
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
And that's the key point. The umpires are there to enforce the rules of the game. It's not like, 'oh, as long as nobody takes offence, I can do what I want'..., neither is it the player's task to complain.

Enforce the rules, plain and simple.
Well, tell that to your Rafatard friends. As you can see their opinion is: he's winning so if you complain you're just being a baby/other players must grow balls and complain/etc.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #70
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
A parallel is something that falls under a more or less equal height. What you show in most of your posts is simple exaggeration and drama.

Well then, until they grow a backbone I guess you all just will have to live with it.
Parallels are parallels, doesn't matter the magnitude.

Draw two straight lines in a cartesian system and even if one shows higher values of Y for every X you input, they'll still be paralells.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #71
country flag ToniTennis

ToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Papagena;7307740]
Nothing to do with 'hating' - it's simple, the rules are there and should be enforced - to ALL PLAYERS, like I said.
QUOTE]

And as I said I agree with you coz the rules are the rules are the rules, but starting a thread pointing out Rafa's supersized ego and over-inflated opinion of himself (not massive ego, for that I stand corrected) as one of the likely causes for doing so is bookcase for hating.
ToniTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #72
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, tell that to your Rafatard friends. As you can see their opinion is: he's winning so if you complain you're just being a baby/other players must grow balls and complain/etc.
I'm sure there are plenty Rafa-fans around capable of being objective. Being a fan of a player has never equalled 'closing your eyes to that person's mistakes' to me, as you well know.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #73
country flag T2KN

Quote:
No, the nagging is always there. It just grows a hell of a lot louder when he does win major titles.

In a week or so, this whining will somewhat die out until he reaches another (Slam) final. It's an obvious pattern.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #74
lurker

lurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe for a minute that nay player takes extra time due to gamesmanship or whatever vile reasons in the first post. Probably every elite player has been coached from early in their career about doing something to maintain focus and concentration, and some players have developed a routine between serves that is devised to use up the whole 20-25 seconds allowed. (See Sharapova, Djokovic, Hantuchova, Pierce etc.) Unfortunately, Nadal's routine has too many little components, each of which can vary in the time taken ( ball bouncing, wedgie picking, hair tucking, ball selection) and can easily exceed the allowed time when he is more tight or nervous.

It is up to the umpire to keep players adherent to the rules. Hanutchova was given a point penalty at one time in her career which cost her a match. I think it gave her opponent match point. I think when the umpire chose to warn Nadal at a big time ( serving for a set or to avoid a break that would end a set) he was going as close to the point penalty as he dared. If he was willing to take the point away, he'd really do the warning at the first occurrence and then take a point at the next. I don't know what makes an umpire do what they do, really.

But the commentators have noted time and again how certain big players (Djokovic and Nadal) take too much time and should be careful. They probably do notice these things and try to make adjustments, but sometimes old habits just die hard.
lurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #75
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
No, the nagging is always there. It just grows a hell of a lot louder when he does win major titles.

In a week or so, this whining will somewhat die out until he reaches another (Slam) final. It's an obvious pattern.
This has been talked about since he first started on tour. The twisting of this fact to seem like it started today is nothing new though. Everytime someone complains it's the same thing.