General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #241
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points)

if anyone in the game is thinking with any clarity, then what should happen is a shot clock is enforced for a period of service games after the player receives their first warning...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #242
country flag ReneP

ReneP is on a distinguished road
Default Why did Fed wait until march 2012 to criticize Nadal taking too much time on serve ?

I did not find this question in another thread's title.
Could you either redirect me if I missed it or give below your views on this matter.
Thanks.
ReneP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #243
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
These warnings and point penalties aren't a persuasive enough incentive not to waste time.. just dock their prize money by 10% every time they go over the time limit. Also, asking for the towel mid-game should be limited to 3 per set like challenges. Only then will us spectators feel richer for the Tennis viewing experience.
not a bad idea but it could be expanded in the way that part of your prize money goes over to a non-time wasting opponent. A bit like in boxing if you miss the weight cut you give up part of the prize money to the opponent. And ofc this should be ruled after the match by watching video replay. During the match the same rules with warning and point penalty applies.

Nadal/Djokovic and other common time wasters would quickly change their ways if it hits them where it hurts, in their wallets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
if anyone in the game is thinking with any clarity, then what should happen is a shot clock is enforced for a period of service games after the player receives their first warning...
Yes this is probably one of the more reasonable suggestions. But I don't see why a shot clock can't be ran at all times, clearly visbile for the crowd too just like the serve speed measurement.

That way the crowd will start to take notice and even make noise if a player is wasting time. That makes it impossible for the umpire to play "best buddy" with the top players like they often do. They are there to enforce the rules, not to make friends.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #244
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Should be 25 seconds, universally. Get the damn shot clock and end this farce.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #245
country flag ReneP

Why did Fed wait until march 2012 to criticize Nadal taking too much time on serve ?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #246
country flag ReneP

Default Why did Fed wait until march 2012 to criticize Nadal taking too much time on serve ?

Could you give your opinions, as the "General timewasting thead" does not seem to deal with this side of the question ?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #247
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did Fed wait until march 2012 to criticize Nadal taking too much time on serv

He already referred to that years ago. This time he was asked again and answered. This thread needs to me merged with the actual thread.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #248
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has spoken about this before this year, it's not the first time it has been spoken about.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #249
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nadal, Djokovic heeding new time policy
Quote:
Nadal and Djokovic played 21 games in Monte Carlo; they lasted 1 hour and 52 minutes. Last year, in the Rome final, on the same surface, they also played 21 games; those took 2 hours and 20 minutes. There were, as far as I saw, no official time warnings handed out by Lahyani, and both Rafa and Nole were moving with dispatch between points.
http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/nam...rcement-policy
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #250
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
And it makes much much better viewing and more entertaining for viewers.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #251
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa was still taking around 35 seconds between some points, but I think they are slightly faster on the whole.

Dunno how Lahyani doesn't give a warning at 35 seconds though.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #252
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Nadull should not be allowed extra time. However, some leniency after long rallies is OK but if you take 35 seconds to wipe your brow and arse after you've served an ace, you should be made to apologise to the audience.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote