Serve and Volley - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serve and Volley

Better yet. Just forget about S&V. It's dead. Just learn how to moonball really high and you'll win most matches you play.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #17
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Better yet. Just forget about S&V. It's dead. Just learn how to moonball really high and you'll win most matches you play.
Haha, I wondered how long it would take!

EVERY junior I've seen play sits behind the baseline moonballing, they don't have a clue how to volley, or even hit a flat winner. Just hard and deep with heavy topspin every time. ...This is in home of grass BRITAIN!! I shudder to think what it's like in countries with a reputation for defensive play.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

I got my 1st S&V yesterday but still hit a few putaways into the net cause i F'd up my footwork
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #19
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute

congrats!

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #20
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Haha, I wondered how long it would take!

EVERY junior I've seen play sits behind the baseline moonballing, they don't have a clue how to volley, or even hit a flat winner. Just hard and deep with heavy topspin every time. ...This is in home of grass BRITAIN!! I shudder to think what it's like in countries with a reputation for defensive play.
Same thing around here... not that Brazilian players play defensive but every kid I watch plays just the same. These days I played a 16 year-old who was like a copy of Chela. Pathetic. He owned me from the back mostly because I was playing outdoors (which I'm not used to) but the only time he went to the net I gave him a topspin lob he'll never forget. Guess what, he never ventured again... I shudder thinking what the future will give us.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #21
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Same thing around here... not that Brazilian players play defensive but every kid I watch plays just the same. These days I played a 16 year-old who was like a copy of Chela. Pathetic. He owned me from the back mostly because I was playing outdoors (which I'm not used to) but the only time he went to the net I gave him a topspin lob he'll never forget. Guess what, he never ventured again... I shudder thinking what the future will give us.

bh and fh chip short... make those little bitches come to the net... i like that... i hate pushers who live at the back...

these days... i get my squads to do a lot of rally from the back...

then...

i get em to do a lot of anti rally...

such as... chip it short from the serve... or after a 6 to 10 shot rally... just... fuk it up completely...

anti rhythm...

thats the only way i can see tennis releasing itself from the back of teh court again... there are only a few players on the tour who exploit it well... llodra and stepanek are two of them...

heh heh... i laughed at a player once recently...

i was playing down a grade because the premier league hadnt started here yet, so i went down to spearhead the 2nd team for 1 week... forever i was dragging this guy to the service line... and.. each time he would slice it back into the corners and scurry back to the baseline like a crab on a beach... this guy would just not fall into temptation... hahahah... it was impossibly funny and i was laughing in the middle of the rallys... dude was definitely out of his comfort zone once he stepped past 3/4 court... was not til he was well over the service line that he would commit to the net... effective... but, funny because of the fear he held towards the net...

Last edited by fast_clay : 07-09-2008 at 11:04 AM.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #22

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's quite a mix of old and young at my club, but mostly experienced players who hit completely flat and serve-volley quite a bit. It takes a massive adjustment for me when I take on any junior players, they often kill me from the baseline for the first few games because I get inpatient and make too many mistakes.

I'm just thankful I made a switch from eastern to semi-western grip last year, it at least gives me the option to hang with them from the baseline and still go for the winner when I get the chance.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
I got my 1st S&V yesterday but still hit a few putaways into the net cause i F'd up my footwork
Well done mate.

Keep working at it, you'll only improve. Remember don't sprint into the net as you'll most likely overhit your volley then, just make a controlled burst with small steps and make sure you're in a comfortable volleying position long before the ball crosses the net.

Serve and volley is a massive weapon to have, especially if you play often on carpet as I do.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #24
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
nice one... serve volley is not only an art form... it is a way of life... something similar to the way of the samurai.... or ummm... sum sh!te...

anyways...

that split step which leaves both feet off the ground ever so slightly as the service ball makes contact with the opponents racquet... i always feel i am serve volleying the best when i get that floating feeling, with both feet only just levitating off the ground... only to land and realise i must push off my right leg to put away the high angled backhand volley... high angled volley because... well... to be modest, my serve was the just the real deal... it was just too good... i had ol' mate in big trouble... ol' mate knows who is dictating play as i stare down the court... and he knows it even more when i say to him: 'you like that do ya...? hah...?' whats that... you want some more...? listen... i'll give you the word ol' mate... i have two fresh, unopened packs of what just happened then... and thats just on the duece court sunshine...!'

ok... ahem... excuse me... enough with the visualisation...

well done champion...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #25
country flag Mohammad

Mohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond reputeMohammad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused.
is it necessary (or better) to have strong serve for s&v?
i think the best s&v players have big-serves, is that right?
Mohammad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
country flag fast_clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadragu View Post
I'm a bit confused.
big serves can help for sure...

but..ometimes they can hinder the serve volley art as well... ie: ball comes back quicker which doesnt allow you to close the net as much...

an accurate, deceptive serve is perhaps the best serve for the serve volley game at club level...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #27
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
nice one... serve volley is not only an art form... it is a way of life... something similar to the way of the samurai.... or ummm... sum sh!te...

anyways...

that split step which leaves both feet off the ground ever so slightly as the service ball makes contact with the opponents racquet... i always feel i am serve volleying the best when i get that floating feeling, with both feet only just levitating off the ground... only to land and realise i must push off my right leg to put away the high angled backhand volley... high angled volley because... well... to be modest, my serve was the just the real deal... it was just too good... i had ol' mate in big trouble... ol' mate knows who is dictating play as i stare down the court... and he knows it even more when i say to him: 'you like that do ya...? hah...?' whats that... you want some more...? listen... i'll give you the word ol' mate... i have two fresh, unopened packs of what just happened then... and thats just on the duece court sunshine...!'

ok... ahem... excuse me... enough with the visualisation...

well done champion...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute

A good practice is to start rallying the ball from the baseline and then move in to the net without breaking the rally. Then you can move back to the baseline and start again, without stopping.

Good way to get lots practice hitting from all parts of the court.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess it's the same all over the world. I live in the states in Florida which used to be HC S&V heaven. Now all the jrs are sitting well behind the BL top spinning away. The only thing they seem to be learning about volleys is how to make their opponents do it. It's just odd to me that with that strategy being taught why they would not be working on the offensive side too. Just amazing.

Back to the question, a good drill my coach used to have us do to get the split step down was while we were practicing, we would hit him a serve, he would hit the return, then we'd have to catch it instead of hit it. When you don't have that racquet extension, man that really makes you think about positioning and you absolutely can not get to the ball if you don't split step.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #30
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadragu View Post
I'm a bit confused.
If you can find some videos of Sampras and McEnroe and watch those, you can see the difference in a big serve S&Ver, and a guy like McEnroe who had a pretty good serve, but relied a lot more on spin and placement than power.

Just watch them after they hit their serves, and the differences in how far into the court they get. Mac could actually get closer to the net than Samparas because his serve was slower, but well placed. IMO these guys are probably the two best S&Ver so watching them would answer your questions better than words. Ideally you have equipment where you can use slow motion too.

My opinion is the ideal situation is to be able to mix it up with serve variation with speeds and placement. Fast Clay gave you some great points on that.