Tennis Journey - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
country flag prince yang

prince yang is on a distinguished road
Default Tennis Journey

Not a survey. Answer in paragraph form.

1. How did you get into tennis?
2. How long have you been playing tennis?
3. What did you go through to become the tennis player you are today?
4. Do you/Did you play for your high school/college?
5. If so what rank were you?
6. How has tennis changed you physically?
7. How many racquets have you gone through or owned?
8. What is your favorite brand of racquets?
9. What is your favorite surface or what surface do you play on the most?
10.Who is your tennis hero or who is your most favorite pro tour player?

My answers:

I got into tennis during my freshman year of highschool. My cousin told me to join. I've been playing for about a year now. I am a self taught tennis player. I've read many instructional guides on how to play tennis and things like that and it really helped me. I played on my school team during my freshman year and played with a fairly new team with mostly freshman. I wasn't ranked. I am now a sophmore and me and my fellow buddies hope to win the 2A conference at least once before we graduate. I also hope to take over the #6 seed this year. Our #2 graduated. Tennis has given me more endurance. I am a hefty kid and is often underestimated but my gameplay makes up for how I look . I own 3 racquets and my favorite brand is Prince. I usually play on hardcourts so I don't really have a favorite surface yet. I'm not in a club and only play at parks. My tennis hero is Michael Chang because he is the first asian player to win a grand slam (French Open/Roland Garros beating Ivan Llendal) and he was ranked #2 in the world once.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Journey

I got into tennis by flipping through the tv channels 1 day and watching andre agassi. I have been playing for about 5 yrs. now. I am 100% self taught and the only training i have had is from the pros on tv and my friends and i trying different shots. Being self taught i have more commitment and heart than club players. I played tennis all four years of highschool ranked 18 then 12 then 7 then 2. I tried out for my college team but i did not make it so i am gonna play for the school club team in the spring. I have broken 3 racket frames and right now i own the wilson h6 hammer (crap), the dunlop aerogel 300 (backup) and the dunlop aerogel 500 tour (great) dunlop is my fav brand and i really don't like any others. My favorite surface is a fast hardcourt. My hero is Tommy Haas. He is grat and has the heart others don't have. His one setback is his shoulder which seems to be falling apart. <3 ya tommy maybe next year.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Although most of these questions have been asked in one form/thread or another, I’ll take a stab at putting them all together.

My tennis journey is long, longer than probably most of you have been around. You see, I’m a 43-year old mother of two little girls (2 yr and 5 weeks...yep, you read that right...weeks).

I started playing tennis in high school over 25 years ago. It started in a regular ole sophomore PE class and when our school was forming its first team, the newly hired coach asked the gym teachers who’d shown any aptitude for it...my name came up. That summer, before my junior year, I was finally old enough to get a job (at the local JCPenney's, ) but when the offer to play competitively rolled around, my parents (bless their collective hearts) convinced me to give it a try...and offered to keep gas in my car. I made the team...and picked up a hobby that, I hope, will last a lifetime.

We had a terrific coach my junior year (she was the local country club pro that our school board had specifically hired to teach at our minority majority high school) and I learned a lot from her although our team lost every match we played. Sadly, they didn’t keep her on for my senior year and we just had one of the gym teachers. The team still lost every match but I, personally, had a winning season. So, this skinny, 100-lb kid...lettered in a varsity sport.

I contemplated trying to walk on (at NC State) but took one look at their practice/match schedule and my Civil Engineering curriculum and knew it would never work. I began playing racquetball instead and dropped tennis completely for many years.

After graduating and moving back to my hometown, I still played racquetball and picked up some pretty serious volleyball. But eventually, most of my teammates grew families and had to drop out. I was pinning for some competitive, athletic activity and ran across a small county sponsored tennis league. I fell back in love with the game...and have been playing it ever since.

I got hooked up with a USTA team and have even joined a racket club. Have taken quite a few “doubles” clinics over the past few years but I’m mostly a self-taught, scrubby player. Physically, I attribute my (relatively) easy pregnancies/deliveries to staying fit through tennis and as I mentioned earlier, hope to continue to play for the rest of my life (I know, and have played with, several folks in their 70s!).

I am currently a 3.5 rated player...with no real hopes (or aspirations) of becoming a 4.0. I enjoy playing opponents of all levels, though, regardless of the score.

I’m a fan of Wilson rackets but will play with anything...on any surface. We’re fortunate enough to actually have public clay courts (and our club will be installing some in 2010!) But I like hard court too. Have never played on grass, red clay or carpet. I’m currently using the nCode n5 98 and have two of them. I consider it a luxury (financially) to own more than one.

My tennis heros are the old guys...Borg and McEnroe...for two entirely different reasons: one for his calm, collected play...and the other for his fiery attitude and doubles genius. I am fortunate enough to have seen them play (“live” but on TV, of course) many, many times.

Tennis has given me many things over the years...best of all a set of friends, companions and competitors...and I’ll count myself lucky if my children find it interesting enough to want to play it with me in the future (although I’ll not push them, knowingly, in that direction).
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got into tennis when I was 7 and we used to have a tennis section at school. I`ve been playing it for 8 years. I`ve changed coaches many times to become a junior pro and now my coach is a doubles challenger winner at some time Andrey Mishin. I`m going to play for the University in my city or maybe go to the USA and study/play tennis there. Well at my best I was No.5 in Saint-Petersburg. Tennis changed all my life I`ve changed racquets for about 5 times. I used to play Head Intelligence, Wilson Six-One Team and some others. Now I use my Babolat Pure Drive Andy Roddick. My favorite surface is a indoor hardcourt, but I usually have to play on stupid clay My hero is Andre Agassi and my favourite pro tour players are Murray, Fish and Roddick.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote