Serve and Volley - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Serve and Volley

Ok I can serve, and I can volley..... so how do I serve and volley? I know what it is, but I don't really know the proper procedure except serve and run as close to net as you can before they hit the return. Should I take some speed off the serve in order to recover more quickly? Any tips would help. Thx

P.S. Tommy Haas in 3rd round @ Wimby. Why am I not surprised? GO TOMMY!
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serve and Volley

It's not that easy. You have to pull the split-step movement just before/near the T. Then you volley.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #3

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
It's not that easy. You have to pull the split-step movement just before/near the T. Then you volley.
yea I figured that out when I went 0-3 on S&V in my last match
Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
yea I figured that out when I went 0-3 on S&V in my last match
If you just run to the net you won't be able to do some basic things like taking a decent volleying stance or even gettin' to the ball (as if you just run you'll have to guess the side you'll have to reach for, otherwise you won't have time).
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

It's also good to think about placement and spin on the serve. It's important to get a weak return so the following volley won't be tricky. If you go for broke all the time, the returner may hit good and fast return only by blocking your serves back. First serve percentage is also a big factor. Think about getting service winners and easy returns, not aces. Body serves are also a good option.

I'm playing a lot more serve and volley nowadays especially against poor returners mainly because after spending a year in the army my consistency isn't what it used to be. Getting there though .
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #6

Where should I attempt to hit the volley from? I see alot of the pros take a swinging volley from the service line
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

The closest as possible to the net so it'll be easier to kill the point. If you need more than 1 volley to win a point you're in trouble.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
I'm playing a lot more serve and volley nowadays especially against poor returners mainly because after spending a year in the army my consistency isn't what it used to be. Getting there though .
yes... after being a grinder as a junior, some of my matches today have shot-per-rally averages of 1.5. heh heh.

listen... one of the best ways to practise serve and volley is to study if an opponent hits prodiminantly slice on the backhand wing... if you see your opponent is placing slice on returns mostly... then, the chances are he/she'll float a good few to you for an easier volley... the volley is easier to play after the serve if you dont have to deal with dipping topspin return all the time... picking someones strength on return can be discouraging... going there over an over can make you appear to have a low iq...

if someone is chipping/open-facing your returns... then, its a good day to serve and volley...

also... hang time... if you can manage a half decent kick serve with a bit of hang time (time the served ball spends in the air before it lands in the service box) then you can get in to close the net for the volley... careful tho... the kick has to be of a certain calibre - so, mix it up with some of your other serves...

s & v is dead... but not at club level...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
yes... after being a grinder as a junior, some of my matches today have shot-per-rally averages of 1.5. heh heh.

listen... one of the best ways to practise serve and volley is to study if an opponent hits prodiminantly slice on the backhand wing... if you see your opponent is placing slice on returns mostly... then, the chances are he/she'll float a good few to you for an easier volley... the volley is easier to play after the serve if you dont have to deal with dipping topspin return all the time... picking someones strength on return can be discouraging... going there over an over can make you appear to have a low iq...

if someone is chipping/open-facing your returns... then, its a good day to serve and volley...

also... hang time... if you can manage a half decent kick serve with a bit of hang time (time the served ball spends in the air before it lands in the service box) then you can get in to close the net for the volley... careful tho... the kick has to be of a certain calibre - so, mix it up with some of your other serves...

s & v is dead... but not at club level...
So true. Best way to deal with people who only block returns.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute

Hitting the Serve and Volley can actually be pretty easy. It takes practice, lots of it.

This is my personal theory:

2 most important factors:

1. Picking the right time to serve and volley. Most players want to serve and volley therefore they resort to it on most serves. You must be smart with your serve and volley. For example if you plan on serving and volleying, accidentally hit a crappy serve, you must realize this and stay back. The situation plays a great role in your ability to serve and volley.

You say you can serve, and you say you can volley, but putting them together is completely different. It is more important that you know your opponents return pattern. If you bring them out wide, where do they ussually hit it? (generally it doesnt change too much, people like to stick with whats comfortable).

2. Point of your split step: This is extremely important. Your goal is to get as close to the net as possible, but...sometimes you cant. You must hit your split step just as he is about to make contact with the ball. This should give you enough time to set up for a good volley.

Just a few tips. Serve up the middle to cut off their angle. if you can get close to the net, this is extremely effective. You can serve and volley out wide, but make sure its a hell of serve and you are covering the angles!!

Yes, slow down your serve so you can get in quicker and closer (dont be an idiot though, if he is wrecking your slower serve, stop serving and volleying haha)

Make sure your not falling forward when you hit your volley. Running into a split step means your weight needs to be back on the split step so when you come forward for your volley you will be in control.

Here is a decent article: Read More about the Split Step!

Dont mind the site, it is going through serious surgery as you will see. I am getting ready for the relaunch in 2 weeks

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
It's also good to think about placement and spin on the serve. It's important to get a weak return so the following volley won't be tricky. If you go for broke all the time, the returner may hit good and fast return only by blocking your serves back. First serve percentage is also a big factor. Think about getting service winners and easy returns, not aces. Body serves are also a good option.

emphasis mine

I don't have a lot of power control on my serve...but my placement is usually good and I still am attempting to s/v sometimes. I concentrate on getting the serve in...and getting my butt to net. I love doing it against "big" returners -- ones who take big (predictable) swings and/or with lots of topsin (cause they usually feel like they can hit it with plenty of height over the net). "Blockers" are also easy pickin's.

And at my level of play (ladies 3.5), it's so rare, I can usually catch a lot of them by surprise. Then they start to put pressure on themselves...and start hitting their returns in the net or long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Where should I attempt to hit the volley from? I see alot of the pros take a swinging volley from the service line
Quote:
The closest as possible to the net so it'll be easier to kill the point. If you need more than 1 volley to win a point you're in trouble.
eh...I'm not so sure about the "one" volley rule. I'll take a "setup" shot any day...but I'll agree with getting in as quickly as possible. Just recognize you're not going to make every volley and your opponents will get off some decent passing shots. S/V requires a mental adjustment as much as a physical one.

Good luck with honing this (IMHO) important skill. It's a nice way to round out your repetoire.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute

agreed, youll make mistakes trying to put the ball away in one shot. (Since your having trouble s/v)

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

The more volleys you need to close a point nowadays the lesser your chance to actually make the point. For instance, my coach is very very fast. Everytime I need more than 2 volleys I'm cooked.

Also a good strategy is faking it. Of course you need to be fast. I do that sometimes... I fall inside the court, pretending to rush and I get a short return (he lowered the return to make my volleys harder), easy to kill with a forehand winner or ready for an approach shot. Same goes if you're staying more at the back... if you see a floating return is coming, don't be afraid to rush.

A nice strategy is to create a pattern in a match and then in a crucial moment do something different. Of course this must be something you know how do to. Unless your opponent is very bad, if you have no plan B/C/D you'll have very limited success playing rushing the net.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The more volleys you need to close a point nowadays the lesser your chance to actually make the point. For instance, my coach is very very fast. Everytime I need more than 2 volleys I'm cooked.

Also a good strategy is faking it. Of course you need to be fast. I do that sometimes... I fall inside the court, pretending to rush and I get a short return (he lowered the return to make my volleys harder), easy to kill with a forehand winner or ready for an approach shot. Same goes if you're staying more at the back... if you see a floating return is coming, don't be afraid to rush.

A nice strategy is to create a pattern in a match and then in a crucial moment do something different. Of course this must be something you know how do to. Unless your opponent is very bad, if you have no plan B/C/D you'll have very limited success playing rushing the net.

yes... a fake rush is great... especially against more experienced campaigners... heh heh heh... those with good court craft generally get no more pleasure than changing from a topspun return to a cute dink to the feet of a net rusher to make you look silly... so... the fake is great to force the returner to start second guessing what they are gonna do - a fake rush allows you to keep the retruner in a certain amount of doubt tho... to use this tactic effectively tho.. a quick pair of heels or superior change of dircetion is required..

yeah glenn... a good change up is key... lately i have been working on a slice down the tee section from a kick serve toss... but.. u have to have at least 3 or 4 service games where you have served a few 2nd serve kickers, thereby creating the pattern before the deception works...

the serve and 'sneak' volley tactic is great... unlike the premeditated serve and volley, it allows you the time to assess what's going on with a player and not cop brutal returns without too much warning... a good agressive tactic for the start of a match, cos you don't abandon your serve volley method too much, just vary it according to what the player has done instead of wondering what he/she will do... once a few service games of serve and sneak have been played, you can really go for it as you should have a decent handle on what a player is gonna do... ... ... so just serve and see which side is gonna draw a floaty return more often...

...as for a strong 1st volley...

a serve volley drill i have had massive success with in my squads is to play points with a 4 shot maximum.... once the 4th shot (returners second) has landed back in play, the return wins the point... this way... the server (who MUST hit a volley behind the serve) is forced to do something extra special with the 1st volley... i feel it ultra important to have a badass 1st volley... and i mean... badass - every bloody day... to help this drill work for students with lesser ability, i ask all returners to chip... therefore floating it back to the servevolleyer... also helps develop range and variety for returners as well...

first player to 11pts = set.. tiebreak style serve rotation... best of five sets... each session...
3pts for an unreturnable serve...
2pts for a serve and volley 'winner' .. (returner cant touch the volley)
1pt for all other wining points...

Last edited by fast_clay : 07-04-2008 at 12:52 PM.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #15
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly you need a good serve.

Next be committed to run in don't hesitate as it may leave you in no man's land.

Depending on your tennis competition you should try to place your first volley then finish it with the 2nd volley.

But it all depends though on the situation.

Theres a lot of Edberg clips of his volleys from matches on YouTube. Watch those.