We are once again running an inter-forum prediction contest for Wimbledon and we would be very happy to welcome another good-sized team from MTF, taking part against the likes of RogerFederer.com, NovakDjokovic.com, AndyRoddick.com, AndyMurray.com, BritishTennis.net, Centre Court, Tennisopolis, TalkAboutTennis, etc.
N.B. Teams vary in size and you don't have to be picked by anyone to join the MTF team. In addition, everyone who plays is entered for the individual event as well.
How it works
If you haven't played in one of these comps recently, it works like 'fill-in-the-draw' on here (and if you enter that, it takes only a minute or two to tick the boxes on our entry form to enter with the same picks) and like the 'bracket challenge' that the ATP have recently started running for AMS events, in that you pick the winner (no score needed) of every match in the draw before the start of Round 1.
How to enter
An entry form showing the draw can be found by clicking here
, with entries closing at 11.00 GMT on MONDAY 23 JUNE, i.e. when play is due to start on the outside courts.
NEW for this comp - there is now a periodically updated list of the entrants from each board/forum
so that you can check that your entry has been received ok (N.B. the list updates every few hours, so you won't appear as soon as you enter) and who else is in the MTF team this time.
Past MTF successes
MTF have had a few top three finishers over the last year - amalyn won the US Open event ahead of over 200 other entrants, MC finished 2nd and Björki 3rd in Paris AMS and amalyn (again!) finished 3rd in Monte Carlo AMS (as did the MTF team in the team comp), while the MTF team won the team competition for the Australian Open.
In the overall rankings, MTF are 5th in the team race, while NyGeL is in 6th place in the overall individual rankings, amalyn is 11th and Björki 13th - this is out of more than 600 ranked players.
(*) Our RG results pages at http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008rg.htm?n=1
should give a pretty good idea of how it all works, but the main differences between this comp and the ATP bracket challenge are:
- our comp is run for slams, the ATP comp currently is not
- the ATP comp is a bit more automated (though we do tend to get new results up very fast)
- the scoring systems are slightly different (our weighting towards the later rounds is a little less drastic)
- we get hundreds of entries rather than thousands, so everyone's results can be seen on the same page
- our comp also involves an informal inter-forum team competition
- no big prizes, it's played for fun, kudos and bragging rights only (far more important!
- you aren't at quite such a disadvantage in our year-round rankings if you miss some of the events, since they work on a best N basis like the actual ATP rankings (see http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/ranking.htm?n=1