Topspin 3 - Anyone got it? Thoughts? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Topspin 3 - Anyone got it? Thoughts?

Just got it for the PS3. Haven't been playing too long but I like the look of it.

I've got Virtua Tennis 3, but it's too arcade style for my liking (e.g. the diving, 0 unforced errors etc). I'm liking that Topspin takes much more skill, movement and timing are much more important. It's not the sort of game you can just pick up and be good at, it takes time. I think the graphics are better on Virtua Tennis, but these are good enough and I prefer the gameplay. It seems really slow at first but as you get better, you can see the improvements.

I also like silly little features like sweat patches appearing on clothes, clothes getting dirty if you're on clay etc....it adds a nice feel to it. Authentic clothing, racquets and stadiums are also good, shame they couldn't get Wimbledon and had to call it some ridiculous Irish name.

Only slight flaw is the risk shots, still a bit strange. Not really worth going for, and in my opinion they should be easier if you're in a better position in the rally. But overall it's good, haven't gone online yet but I hope there is a good worldwide ranking system.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Topspin 3 - Anyone got it? Thoughts?

Much different from Topspin 2 (which was absolute ass)? Wasn't too impressed by the animations in the trailers, but anything with Haas in it I am powerless not to buy.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Much different from Topspin 2 (which was absolute ass)? Wasn't too impressed by the animations in the trailers, but anything with Haas in it I am powerless not to buy.
Definitely better than Topspin 2, in pretty much every way.

The animations aren't brilliant. The players and the shots aren't as realistic as Virtua Tennis....but the variety is much more which I think is more important.

It's probably the best tennis game that I've played, if you could combine Virtua Tennis' graphics with this playability it'd be very good. I wish they'd introduce Hawkeye though. And I don't know why they took away the reaction buttons
Old 06-21-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

I plan on buying it. It looks the business to me.

According to http://www.topspin3thegame.com/base.php?site=uk, Andy Murray has "...already hit the Semi Finals in a number of Grand Slams."

*grins*

EDIT:

Hahahahaha, I found a better bit of bad info on that site.

"...Hard facts tell us that Borg won 41 of the Grand Slam tournaments he entered."
Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
Definitely better than Topspin 2, in pretty much every way.

The animations aren't brilliant. The players and the shots aren't as realistic as Virtua Tennis....but the variety is much more which I think is more important.

It's probably the best tennis game that I've played, if you could combine Virtua Tennis' graphics with this playability it'd be very good. I wish they'd introduce Hawkeye though. And I don't know why they took away the reaction buttons
Don't know if you remember my thread about tennis videogames, but it had a few rants from me about why I hate the series. Hopefully they're fixed in 3 but I'm not confident. I'll still get it anyway, decent tennis games only come once in a blue moon.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't know if you remember my thread about tennis videogames, but it had a few rants from me about why I hate the series. Hopefully they're fixed in 3 but I'm not confident. I'll still get it anyway, decent tennis games only come once in a blue moon.
Isn't Smashcourt Pro Tournament 3 out soon for the Xbox 360?

I always preferred how that series allowed for you to change the direction of your shot at the time of the stroke and how it relied more on timing the ball as it comes to you rather than holding down buttons as the ball crosses the net, as you had to in Top Spin 2.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a World Tour Mode for online play yet for the PS3, so there isn't any world rankings yet. It will be coming out later through a patch, though I have no idea when.

I will be getting it once it is released here in North America; June 24.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be buying the Xbox 360 version next week. It's not out in the US until next tuesday.

I may also pick up the Wii version depending on the reviews.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene7 View Post
Isn't Smashcourt Pro Tournament 3 out soon for the Xbox 360?

I always preferred how that series allowed for you to change the direction of your shot at the time of the stroke and how it relied more on timing the ball as it comes to you rather than holding down buttons as the ball crosses the net, as you had to in Top Spin 2.
Smash Court 3 for the 360 will be coming out early August. As for Top Spin 3, it has dropped the hold the button as early as possible and opted for timing/positioning. I've yet to play it but I've read many people's reviews and the controls are very hard to master, so they simply took Smash Court's controls to a whole new level. You now have to hold the button and release at the right time in order to hit a proper shot.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
I'll be buying the Xbox 360 version next week. It's not out in the US until next tuesday.

I may also pick up the Wii version depending on the reviews.
FYI the Wii version has no create a player mode and has a whopping 11 tournaments to participate in if you want to play Tour Mode.

Also they are using the Top Spin 2 graphics with an addition of more cartoonish graphics. I would skip it, imo!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldo View Post
FYI the Wii version has no create a player mode and has a whopping 11 tournaments to participate in if you want to play Tour Mode.

Also they are using the Top Spin 2 graphics with an addition of more cartoonish graphics. I would skip it, imo!
Yeah Wii graphics are always worse, that goes without saying. I'm interested in the controls for playing against friends.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Quote:
I don't remember tell me what you thought the flaws were and I'll tell you if they're fixed
Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
I don't remember tell me what you thought the flaws were and I'll tell you if they're fixed
Cut and pasted from my old thread:

1. Its impossible to run around the backahand and hit off forehands in the game. This is the most common shot in tennis and its retarded that they pretty much made it impossible to do.
2. Somehow they made the topspin shots more risky and made it so the flat shots never go out. Good logic there.
3. The risk shot is the most appallingly implemented idea I've seen in any tennis game.
4. The player stats are completely inaccurate. Why bother trying for detailed statistics when you're not going to bother doing a bit of research and actually getting it remotely accurate?
5. Its almost impossible to volley any shots that have any angle on them. Half the time the player just flat out misses the ball when its clear they could have easily hit it.
6. Whats with some of the topspin shot that bounce so high it goes right over your head?
7. I love how dropshots are sometimes performed after a topspin shot animation.
8. The fact theres a charge up bar for the drop shot is stupid and defeats the purpose.
9. The movement and sliding on clay is crap and another poor attempt at being "realistic".
10. 90% of the animations are generic which just makes the ones they actually did make realistic look out of place.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Quote:
Cut and pasted from my old thread:

1. Its impossible to run around the backahand and hit off forehands in the game. This is the most common shot in tennis and its retarded that they pretty much made it impossible to do.
2. Somehow they made the topspin shots more risky and made it so the flat shots never go out. Good logic there.
3. The risk shot is the most appallingly implemented idea I've seen in any tennis game.
4. The player stats are completely inaccurate. Why bother trying for detailed statistics when you're not going to bother doing a bit of research and actually getting it remotely accurate?
5. Its almost impossible to volley any shots that have any angle on them. Half the time the player just flat out misses the ball when its clear they could have easily hit it.
6. Whats with some of the topspin shot that bounce so high it goes right over your head?
7. I love how dropshots are sometimes performed after a topspin shot animation.
8. The fact theres a charge up bar for the drop shot is stupid and defeats the purpose.
9. The movement and sliding on clay is crap and another poor attempt at being "realistic".
10. 90% of the animations are generic which just makes the ones they actually did make realistic look out of place.
Did they really have to move this to non-tennis?

1. If someone hits a weak shot, it's possible. Tough if someone hits a decent shot though.
2. Not 100% sure, haven't played it enough but I haven't noticed that.
3. I think the risk shot has potential, I don't think they use it well enough though.
4. This is still poor. I haven't seen everyone, but FedGOAT's serve is rated about 71 or something, far too low. Nadal's forehand is around 65-70 if I remember correctly.
5. I quite like the volleying, it has definitely improved. I've been playing on easy level though so I haven't had to face too many angled passes
6. Better now for sure.
7. I haven't quite mastered drop shots yet, on the PS3 it's done with the joystick and it's tough
8. It's not there anymore.
9. Improved, but still not perfect I'd say. A reasonable attempt I suppose.
10. Still kind of a problem. Nadal seems to do Federer's little shake of the racquet more than his fist pumps.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
country flag leng jai

I know man, this mod is bloody anal.

Thanks for thoughts. Sounds a bit better. I will be getting the game on 360 this week and no dout I will probably be more fussy than you and rant about how the game is a piece of crap and not realistic :hammer:

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals