Sampras Plans To Be There When Federer Breaks Slam Record - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
country flag LleytonMonfils

LleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sampras Plans To Be There When Federer Breaks Slam Record

From ESPN.com

Quote:
LONDON -- Pete Sampras remains confident that Roger Federer will beat his record for most career Grand Slam singles titles.

In fact, Sampras plans to be sitting among Federer's most vocal supporters when he does win a 15th career major -- even if that requires a lengthy flight to Melbourne, Australia.

Federer has 12 Grand Slam titles, two behind Sampras' record.

If Federer won a sixth straight Wimbledon title next month and a fifth consecutive U.S. Open title in September, he would be aiming for No. 15 at the Australian Open in January.

"There is a burning desire in Roger to break my record, and when he does it I would like to be there," Sampras said Thursday. "I said to Roger, 'Just make sure it's in New York or London. Australia is a long way to go. [But] if it worked out like that, I would fly there.'

"I would just let him enjoy it as his moment but [I would want to be there] just to respect the record and what he was able to do and to just say, 'Congratulations."

Despite Federer's loss to No. 2-ranked Rafael Nadal in the French Open final, Sampras is confident the Swiss star will bounce back at the All England Club.

"He's created this monster of winning so many tournaments and so many majors and doing it with ease," Sampras said in Sao Paulo, Brazil. "As great as Roger is, he's going to have his losses and his bad days. It's just human nature to go through some lulls."

That doesn't mean he has lost his edge, Sampras said.

"In the majors, he's still the guy that's most likely to win them," Sampras said. "He's lost a couple and, if anything, that'll do him some good. It'll get him going and fired up. He'll be just fine."

The 36-year-old Sampras was speaking from BlackRock Tour of Champions, where he makes his debut Thursday in Brazil against Thomas Muster.

But Sampras will find it hard not thinking of Wimbledon, which begins Monday, and where he captured half of his career majors.

"I think if I were to step back on that court at Wimbledon it would bring up a lot of emotion," Sampras said. "Just because of what the place meant to me and how big it was to the sport of tennis."
LleytonMonfils is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras Plans To Be There When Federer Breaks Slam Record

He'll be there hoping Fed falls and breaks a leg.
Henry Chinaski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Class act all the way. He could probably win a few rounds next week if he played.. I watched the replay of his 2001 match with Fed the other night and it was awesome. Some of the best grass court tennis I've ever seen...
Just wish these guys had been in their 20s at the same time.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Good for Pete, I think him and Roger really get along. Roger respects Pete big time too.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
country flag HNCS

HNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
Class act all the way. He could probably win a few rounds next week if he played.. I watched the replay of his 2001 match with Fed the other night and it was awesome. Some of the best grass court tennis I've ever seen...
Just wish these guys had been in their 20s at the same time.
yeah....quite unfortunate one was past his prime, and the other had not matured yet.

but better then nothing. still feel blessed to be able to see that match.

Richard Gasquet,David Nalbandian, James Blake,Marcos Baghdatis,Fabrice Santoro,Jonas Bjorkman,Mario Ancic,Mikhail Youzhny,Fernado Verdasco
HNCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
BIGMARAT

BIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond repute

he just wants to reiterate that he still got the record.
BIGMARAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
country flag jenanun

jenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond reputejenanun has a reputation beyond repute

or simply because he believe its never gonna happen
jenanun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Well, although the cynics prefer to see it differently, I prefer to see it as Pete says it - that if and when the moment comes, he wants to be there to share in the moment and show his respect and appreciation for the new record holder.

Which I think is a lovely gesture.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet of Pete, you can tell he knows what Roger is going through.

Ever since he met Roger and spent some time with him, he turned into a huge Fedtard, it's really cute.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
country flag A_Skywalker

A_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Lets say he goes to the final before the supposed 15th GS win, but what if Fed loses, will Pete go again when Fed plays GS final?

Tennis Tipping and PAW Results
A_Skywalker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
He'll be there hoping Fed falls and breaks a leg.
LOL

That's what you want........

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Skywalker View Post
Lets say he goes to the final before the supposed 15th GS win, but what if Fed loses, will Pete go again when Fed plays GS final?
If I had a guess, it would be yes. Pete can afford a few flights once he's sure Fed is in the final. I'm sure only the trip down under would get to be a pain. It's not like he's not used to doing some traveling..
Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

3 more GS. In fact, that's very possible

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Well, although the cynics prefer to see it differently, I prefer to see it as Pete says it - that if and when the moment comes, he wants to be there to share in the moment and show his respect and appreciation for the new record holder.

My thoughts too. Both great guys
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
country flag Kitty de Sade
Retired Party Hostess

Kitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post

Nearly six years into retirement, and Pete still proves how much of a class act he is. Very nice to see, even if I'll need a hankie when it happens.
Kitty de Sade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote