This is a true story - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
country flag Beer Monster

Beer Monster is on a distinguished road
Default This is a true story

About a year ago (I think it was last summer), I was watching an athletics meeting on television, and I was just getting myself comfortable to watch the 100 metres.

Anyway, it was a false start. So I got comfortable in my chair again and it was another false start. Next minute I look at the TV screen and this American sprinter was laying down on the track in protest.

Meanwhile, all the other athletes were waiting for the race to start for a third time for about an hour with this guy obstructing the course. He would not move.

Apparently, he was disqualified and was protesting because he felt that he didn't move, I think the second occasion, and that he had been unfairly disqualified.

Anyway, he finally moves off the track and there's this official telling him to get back on the track to protest. So he did. It was drama of the highest order.

Anyway, he finally left, in tears, after about an hour and the race got underway, shouting "They are denying me my dream."

I haven't heard anything about it since.
Beer Monster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is a true story

yes, there are plenty of those dramas. Maybe this guy mentioned in your above stated example was even right, because some athlets say that they didn't move before the starting signal and the electronics in the starting blocks that is monitoring the start had a dysfunction.

One of the most recent examples in "popular false starts" is for me the Australian swimmer, Ian Thorpe. He would have won several Olympic gold medals, I'm quite sure about that, this guy is just toooooooo good. He was disqualified due to a false start at the 400m freestyle qualifications for the Olympic games. I think it was his favorite track. But he was diaqualified for that track, nevertheless he could qualify for the 200 and 100m freestyle (I think, not sure about it, but it should be so).
Thorpe said afterwards that he thought he heard the start signal but of course they didn't believe him and couldn't because everybody could come up with that excuse afterwards.

Well, Thorpe had only one false start what meant automatic disqualification due to the "new" rules in swimming.

But there is probably one "curious happening" in athletics that will never be topped. In decathlon you are allowed two false starts in running events. But even that didn't help Jürgen Hingsen, from Germany, as this idiot made three false starts in the 1st even (100m sprint) and was disqualified right at the beginning of this competition.
I have heard people talking about it and it is still considered as one of the biggest foolishnesses in sports ever. 3 false starts and disqualified before the competition even began for him what a joke
of course it was not funny for him, but hey, I mean, how can you be that fucking retarded starting false THREE times

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Monster
About a year ago (I think it was last summer), I was watching an athletics meeting on television, and I was just getting myself comfortable to watch the 100 metres.

Anyway, it was a false start. So I got comfortable in my chair again and it was another false start. Next minute I look at the TV screen and this American sprinter was laying down on the track in protest.

Meanwhile, all the other athletes were waiting for the race to start for a third time for about an hour with this guy obstructing the course. He would not move.

Apparently, he was disqualified and was protesting because he felt that he didn't move, I think the second occasion, and that he had been unfairly disqualified.

Anyway, he finally moves off the track and there's this official telling him to get back on the track to protest. So he did. It was drama of the highest order.

Anyway, he finally left, in tears, after about an hour and the race got underway, shouting "They are denying me my dream."

I haven't heard anything about it since.
Yeah I saw that when I watching Athletics, I think it was Tim Montgomery who was doing that protest. It was pretty dramatic, but must have been so frustrating for the other athletes in the race. False starts seem to cause a lot of problems in sports like athletics and in my opinion the new starting rules didn't seem to solve this much.

That Jurgen guy seems a tad stupid, does he really need such a huge start in the opening rounds? If he needs to start that early in the first round, he's going to need seconds of advantage by the final round! I certainly haven't seen a disqualification that would top that one yet.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #4
country flag YoursTruly

YoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond repute

I think I watched that.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
country flag GarethHodges

GarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Linford Christie do a something similar in the 1996 Olympic 100 metres?
GarethHodges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
country flag Beer Monster

Beer Monster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethHodges
I don't think it was so severe but I seem to remember some sort of controversy.
Beer Monster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:02 AM   #7
country flag BaselineSmash

BaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethHodges
Yes, he was disqualified in the 100m final after two false starts.
BaselineSmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote