2008 Grass court season!!! Gooooooo Kiwi!!! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
country flag Yappa

Yappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 Grass court season!!! Gooooooo Kiwi!!!

Yeah, oh well. He didn't really seem to look that disappointed and shook hands with some fans.

I somehow forgot that the digital receiver which I use for recording (still an old dbox2) has some problems with ZDF, but that match wasn't that memorable anyways. Except the fact that, as usual, ZDF's coverage gets on my nerves. Of course they had to mention Becker and the "good old times" etc. blabllabla.
I prefer the coverage of channels like DSF or Eurosport.
Yappa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
country flag kiwi10is

kiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond repute

First set was a shock but in 2nd set Kiwi was playing very very well. Of course not enought to beat Federer but all the others should be careful if they meet Kiwi in this condition in Wimbledon.
Next stop Boodles. That was a good preparation last year. Hope he will get some more confidence over there. It's so good to see Kiwi playing like this and happy again.

And the best news of all: Kiwi will be seeded at No 27 in Wimbledon which means no Kiwi-Federer in 1st round over there!!!!!

Last edited by kiwi10is : 06-15-2008 at 08:03 PM.
kiwi10is is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #18
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four:Love View Post
I prefer the coverage of channels like DSF or Eurosport.
Yes, no question that on DSF (Paulke) or Eurosport (I can stand pretty much all commentators) you at least don't have to ignore the commentary. I didn't even know this guy or pay attention to his name. Do you know if it was a known one?

Only good thing with ZDF is the better bitrate quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi10is View Post
It's so good to see Kiwi playing like this and happy again.
dito, his game was really okay the whole week!
Very good to know he came over the chokes of Hamburg and Düsseldorf so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi10is View Post
And the best news of all: Kiwi will be seeded at No 27 in Wimbledon which means no Kiwi-Federer in 1st round over there!!!!!
Exactly, he will avoid the big seeds for at least the first two rounds, right?
Only danger is that he draws a Karlovic, Isner or Guccione or such servers. But if he takes his returning form he showed in Halle to London, I would give him a very good chance to beat them.

Unseeded players flying under the radar that would be dangerous could be Rochus or Grosjean for example.

But let's hope the best for some solvavle match-ups.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #19
country flag Yappa

Yappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond reputeYappa has a reputation beyond repute

Eberhard Figgemeier was the name of the ZDF commentator. I don't really know him.
I always have to when one of those commentators from the "Öffentlich-Rechtliche" have to mention Boris Becker, which happened again for today's Final.
Though I have to say that Hans-Jürgen Pohmann did a pretty job good doing commentary for this year's World Team Cup.

Anyways, I hope that Premiere will once again have Eurosport commentator Oliver Faßnacht in their Wimbledon commentator team. He's one of my favorite commentators.

I didn't know that Kiwi is gonna be seeded. Good news indeed.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
country flag kiwi10is

kiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond reputekiwi10is has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon Draw is out. Kiwi will play Bennetau in first round. Not too bad. But in 3rd round Rafa will be waiting. I expected an easier draw since Kiwi was seeded... :-( well... first they both have to win the first two rounds...
Old 06-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #21
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

So it's Benneteau again, I remember there was some fire between these two in their Wimbledon match some years ago

Damn, a bit too close to one of the top seeds But with a good performance there he should be able to reach at least the third round again and then everything would be a bonus and, if at all, Rafa is most beatable for him on grass.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
country flag kiwi10is

yes... if he ever wants to beat Rafa he should choose gras for it or try minigolf....
and even Nishikori was close to beating Rafa in Queens last week... you never know... miracles do happen... especially in Wimbledon

and a good preparation already

Quote:
Press Release, 21/06/08

Kiefer and Robredo reach the Final of The Boodles Challenge

Former world number 5 Nicolas Kiefer hit top form at The Boodles Challenge at the Stoke Park Club in Buckinghamshire today to secure a 6-1, 7-6 victory against Stanislas Wawrinka.

The German recorded his second victory of the week defeating world number 10 Stanislas Wawrinka in straight sets. Keifer, who had already beaten Marcos Baghdatis earlier in the tournament, now advances to tomorrow’s Final against Tommy Robredo.

Nicolas Kiefer commented:
“So far this week everything has been really good so I can’t complain. I’m enjoying playing here on the grass and two wins in two days is a great build-up to Wimbledon. I’m coming back tomorrow; and why shouldn’t I come back?!”
Results from Friday 20th June:
N. Kiefer bt S. Wawrinka 6-1, 7-6
T. Robredo bt F. Gonzalez 7-6, 6-3
B. Bryan/M. Bryan bt R. Hutchins/J. Delgado 6-2, 6-3
first score was Kiefer-Baghdatis 6:3 7:5

Last edited by kiwi10is : 06-20-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
country flag Neely
-

thanks for the update!

looks really good

Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #24
country flag kiwi10is

Kiwi won The Boodles tournament

Quote:
News Release

21st June 2008

Kiefer beats Robredo and the rain in the Final of The Boodles Challenge

Nicolas Kiefer put in a superior performance in the Final of The Boodles Challenge at the Stoke Park Club today to defeat the talented Spaniard Tommy Robredo 6-3, 3-6, 13-11.

In his final warm-up match before Wimbledon, the German looked at ease on the grass despite the varying weather conditions and completed his third win of the week in impressive style. The match was decided in a final championship tie break which saw the German seal the title with some scintillating ground strokes.

Kiefer now goes into his first round match at Wimbledon against the Frenchman Julien Benneteau, whilst Robredo comes up against the little known Belgian Kristof Vliegen.

Nicolas Kiefer commented:

“Three wins in a row on grass is pretty good form and I feel honoured to have won the title here at The Boodles. If I can play like this at Wimbledon then who knows what can happen. I felt like I was hitting the ball really well and, despite the rain, I managed to maintain my concentration which is always a huge part of playing on grass with all the stops and starts. I love playing here and my preparation for SW19 wouldn’t be the same without it.”
only exhibition but every player came to prepare for Wimbledon so they were not joking around I guess....
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #25
country flag Yappa

Nicolas Kiefer, Boodles champion, defeats Rafael Nadal, Queen's champion. Mark my words.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #26
country flag Neely
-

Great job, Kiwi!

I couldn't spot him on the OOP for Monday, so it's going to be a Tuesday start.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #27
country flag Neely
-

Kiefer with the 1st match on Court #7 tomorrow (Tuesday).

First, I have no clue if there even could be coverage (show court?). Second, because of the early I have to gamble what option channel to record and hope that I get the right one as I would not be at home until the match is finished (no rain breaks presumed).

Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #28
country flag Yappa

I am recording both Wimbledon feeds. I usually take a look at the EPG overview in the morning, to know which Premiere Direkt feeds are used, but that won't help us anyways, since AFAIK Kiefer is playing on a court without any cameras.

Haas, the unseeded but more popular german player, will play on a show court. No surprise of course. (To avoid any misunderstanding, I like Haas.)

Last edited by Four:Love : 06-23-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #29
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four:Love View Post
I am recording both Wimbledon feeds. I usually take a look at the EPG overview in the morning, to know which Premiere Direkt feeds are used, but that won't help us anyways, since AFAIK Kiefer is playing on a court without any cameras.
Not bad, recording both feeds And that's a good tactic with the EPG, but I can't use the EPG like that because the receiver I am using is not Premiere certified and therefore it's different for me and a bigger risk to record reliably when I'm not at home because it can make a big difference if there are 5 channels used for Formula1 or one channel for golf or whatever.

But when court #7 is not camera covered, then it's bad news anyway. I hope Kiefer wins and plays on a show court his next match.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #30
country flag Yappa

Difficult 2nd set, but all in all a convincing win from looking at the stats.

Next up is Martin Vassallo Arguello, a player who really shouldn't pose any problems.