Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 68 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #1006
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Gilles Simon comments on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Oh, I can deny that. I agree about Haas, Petzschner, Wawrinka. But the rest?
you don't think Nalbandian or Youzhny can play amazing tennis?

they have best years beyond them, but so does for example Kim Clijsters or my faves Schiavone and Hantuchova who are also beyond top 20.

when will Monica Niculescu (#33 WTA) come close to what Youzhny (#33 ATP) can show and how he can entertain? or #40 Carla Suarez Navarro will be able to produce shots like #40 ATP Nalbandian

even the inconsistent choking mug like Paire (55 ATP) is more reliable than owning also beautiful game and no mental stability Urszula Radwanska (54 WTA) who can collapse after losing 1 point

and the thing is that i really watch WTA with joy, but just treat it as a different sport than ATP...

i want something else to get me through this life....

Last edited by Nathaliia : 06-28-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #1007
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
you don't think Nalbandian or Youzhny can play amazing tennis?

They can but they rarely do. Nalbandian had to rely on a cakewalk draw to reach his only Slam final.
As far as this discussion is concerned, you don't get money for having potential but for delivering on the court; and these two (especially Nalby) don't.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #1008
country flag Dr.Slice

Dr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePower View Post
Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
POW! Sharapova on Simon's opposition to equal prize $: "I think more people watch my matches than his"
Think again Bitchopova.

Quote:
I think a totally dedicated and fit Serena can be in the top 200 of men's tour.

Hian talking about where Serena Williams would be in ATP
Quote:
Serena could be easily in Top 100.
Dr.Slice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #1009
country flag william_renshaw

william_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond reputewilliam_renshaw has a reputation beyond repute

Women can have equal pay - if they have an equal competition. Let's just have one tournament, mixed singles, and see how many women can qualify, let alone win a match. The fact remains that not a single woman could beat any male player in the top 100.

And to use the argument that women are physically different therefore must have a separate competition (but maintain equal pay) is ridiculous. What about wheelchair singles? If you believe (on these grounds) that the winner of the womens singles should receive the same as the winner of the mens singles, then surely you must also believe that the winner of the wheelchair singles should receive the same as the winner of the mens singles.

So, defenders of equal pay, answer this: If unequal pay is unfair and discriminatory against women, is it not also unfair and discriminatory against wheelchair players? If not, then why not?
william_renshaw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #1010
country flag Dr.Slice

Dr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_renshaw View Post
Women can have equal pay - if they have an equal competition. Let's just have one tournament, mixed singles, and see how many women can qualify, let alone win a match. The fact remains that not a single woman could beat any male player in the top 100.

And to use the argument that women are physically different therefore must have a separate competition (but maintain equal pay) is ridiculous. What about wheelchair singles? If you believe (on these grounds) that the winner of the womens singles should receive the same as the winner of the mens singles, then surely you must also believe that the winner of the wheelchair singles should receive the same as the winner of the mens singles.

So, defenders of equal pay, answer this: If unequal pay is unfair and discriminatory against women, is it not also unfair and discriminatory against wheelchair players? If not, then why not?
Brilliant.

I really would love to see Serena or Sharapova take on a male player who is ranked maybe 1000 or so and get destroyed (as would happen easily). Would show WTA-tards something.
The most enjoyable thing would probably be seeing Serena or Sharapova try to ballbash through Nadal at Roland Garros for example, would they get even one point?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #1011
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/de...medium=twitter

The key quotes from his press conference are:

"It's not only my point of view, it's the point of view of everybody in the locker room."

"I'm pretty sure they're thinking the same way as me. Maybe they can't say it; maybe they won't; maybe they will lose, I don't know, two million on the contracts if they say that. I don't know everything. I'm sure they agree with me. Trust me."

"I am well aware of the struggle (for equal pay)," Simon said.
"But it just doesn't work in the entertainment (business), because entertainment is not about being a man or woman. It's just about the public coming to watch you or not. It has nothing to do with men and women.
If women's tennis is more interesting than men's tennis, if the price of the women's final is higher than the price of the men's final, they will deserve to win more money than us."
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #1012
country flag Dr.Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/de...medium=twitter

The key quotes from his press conference are:

"It's not only my point of view, it's the point of view of everybody in the locker room."

"I'm pretty sure they're thinking the same way as me. Maybe they can't say it; maybe they won't; maybe they will lose, I don't know, two million on the contracts if they say that. I don't know everything. I'm sure they agree with me. Trust me."

"I am well aware of the struggle (for equal pay)," Simon said.
"But it just doesn't work in the entertainment (business), because entertainment is not about being a man or woman. It's just about the public coming to watch you or not. It has nothing to do with men and women.
If women's tennis is more interesting than men's tennis, if the price of the women's final is higher than the price of the men's final, they will deserve to win more money than us."
What Simon said makes perfect sense, although if feminists want their equality so much then my opinion is then women should compete against men in equal conditions and if they get destroyed 0:6 0:6 in every game, well, that is just hard luck

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #1013
country flag zigga

zigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond reputezigga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
POW! Sharapova on Simon's opposition to equal prize $: "I think more people watch my matches than his"
Yes!
And even serena agreed with her
Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #1014
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

More quotes, and if people keep calling him a sexist pig after this interview then I don't know what to say

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...18459&zoneid=4

"My point of view was just about the entertainment," he said. "If you just watch how it is working in every other sport, but even for the singers, you're just paid by the public directly. My point was that I have the feeling that men's tennis is actually more interesting than women's tennis. As in any business or anything, you just have to be paid just about that. It's not because we play five sets and they are playing three ... It's not about me, one player, or another one. Maria is more famous than me. I know it. She deserves to win more money than me. Just check the price of the ticket from the men's final and the woman's final. It's not about me anymore, it's about the tennis. That's the way it works in life."

Simon added that he does support equal rights for women, but said that shouldn't apply when it comes to determining pay scales in tennis. He also said that most male players agree with him, but are afraid to come out and say it publicly.

"It just doesn't work in entertainment, because entertainment is not about being a man or woman, he said. "It's just about public coming to watch you or not. It's not about how hard you work. You can work hard and be a very famous singer. You can work hard and just sing in your bathroom. It's maybe sad, but this is the way it works. It has nothing to do with men and women. In life in general, of course, I'm for [equal pay]. Tomorrow if women's tennis is more interesting than men's tennis, if the price of the woman's final is higher than the price of the men's final, they will deserve to win more money than us. That's just the way it works. Just feel like it's fair. Just to say it has to be equal because there is a struggle in life in general, I'm not sure it's a very good argument."
Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #1015
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone help me a bit. I remember seeing a thread, maybe not on this forum, about this topic when Tipsarevic made that interview of his... And I remember there were some quotes also from Roger, Rafa, Novak about this $$ issue. Old thing... Cannot find any now...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #1016
country flag Apemant

Apemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Simon career prizemoney: ~$6 mil.
Sharapova career prizemoney: ~$21 mil.

Of course more people watch her matches. That's why she earned 3.5 times more in prizemoney alone, than Simon. Let's not even begin to talk about endorsement money. Simon probably earns a small fraction of her yearly income.

So what is her point? Even if women were paid less than men in grandslams, Maria would STILL earn way more money from prizes alone, than Simon ever would. So, we can conclude that her argument is simply invalid. The correct comparison would be to find a woman who is about in the same league among women, as Simon is among men - and then ask ourselves, should THAT woman be paid equal to what Simon earns. All you 'equal pay' apologets can't seem to grasp such a simple logic; your politically correct ideology blinds you in a rather curious way.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #1017
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Simon is no.14 compare him to WTA's no. 14.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #1018
country flag SilverSlam
No.1vak

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so the main problem for both arguments is that

A) In all regular professions, women get the same pay as men, and to not do so, is discriminatory. Now to say that women don't put in as much effort than men, is probably not true, and this case could even go vice versa, with some of the men not putting in as much work as the women.

B) 5 set matches. I believe that at Grand Slams, this is the ONLY occasion where different prize money should be considered. But then again, in 2005 the womens final latest something like 2 hours longer than the mens...so Simon's argument needs to be structured better before he causes a shitstorm like he has here.
SilverSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #1019
country flag SilverSlam
No.1vak

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
Well Simon is no.14 compare him to WTA's no. 14.
Ana Ivanovic....

Still made more than that worthless pusher haha.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #1020
country flag SilverSlam
No.1vak

also

Quote:
@TennisReporters Clijsters didn't care for it either and said she hoped Malisse would "kick his ass".