Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 116 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #1726
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Where did you get that idea? Most people commenting here, me included, are straight men, who obviously love women

The only issue is the quality of the tennis they produce, which is very poor.
There is a difference between wanting to sleep with women and not insulting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #1727
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
There is a difference between wanting to sleep with women and not insulting them.
True that

But still, most of the comments here aren't against women in general but the tennis they produce. I have no idea where you got this anti-women sentiment here, it doesn't seem to be the case at all.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #1728
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True that

But still, most of the comments here aren't against women in general but the tennis they produce. I have no idea where you got this anti-women sentiment here, it doesn't seem to be the case at all.
It's not just from the recent comments but the whole thread in general. Like "women should play naked to get equal pay", the idea that it's funny that ivanovic stood up for equal pay by arguing with nadal, laughing about how apparently no one knows about women's tennis, women not hitting a proper backhand slice since 2008 or whatever...

Quote:
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #1729

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not just from the recent comments but the whole thread in general. Like "women should play naked to get equal pay", the idea that it's funny that ivanovic stood up for equal pay by arguing with nadal, laughing about how apparently no one knows about women's tennis, women not hitting a proper backhand slice since 2008 or whatever...
You do know that most of those comments are made for joking purposes, right? I think I wrote a comment in this thread sometime about how (some) women should play naked to get equal pay, but it was hardly a serious comment, as aren't most of those. It's a men's tennis forum, mostly composed of straight males, there's bound to be some banter of that type. Don't see how any of that can be construed as insulting women in general or a general disdain towards the opposite gender.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the WTA forum isn't exactly devoid of similar kind of jokes regarding men and men's tennis.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #1730
country flag GOATsol

Quote:
You do know that most of those comments are made for joking purposes, right? I think I wrote a comment in this thread sometime about how (some) women should play naked to get equal pay, but it was hardly a serious comment, as aren't most of those. It's a men's tennis forum, mostly composed of straight males, there's bound to be some banter of that type. Don't see how any of that can be construed as insulting women in general or a general disdain towards the opposite gender.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the WTA forum isn't exactly devoid of similar kind of jokes regarding men and men's tennis.
Hmm I sometimes read tennisforum and I haven't seen similar jokes regarding men/men's tennis, but I could be wrong.

I do go to a women's college which is all about women's empowerment and everything. It's a bit of a bubble here so I haven't heard comments like these in a long time, so I guess reacted more strongly then I would have before.

But either way, I don't think those jokes are funny at all. But if you guys do, then enjoy yourselves.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #1731
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

More people tuned into the womens final than the mens final at the US Open this year, I think we can close this thread now

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #1732

Quote:
Hmm I sometimes read tennisforum and I haven't seen similar jokes regarding men/men's tennis, but I could be wrong.

I do go to a women's college which is all about women's empowerment and everything. It's a bit of a bubble here so I haven't heard comments like these in a long time, so I guess reacted more strongly then I would have before.

But either way, I don't think those jokes are funny at all. But if you guys do, then enjoy yourselves.
I don't read tennisforum at all, but I'd be surprised if there were none.

A women's college and no 'funny' comments about men ? That is surprising indeed, although the relative lack of interaction with men can partly explain it

Yeah, a lot of women/WTA supporters are bound to not find it funny, but it's hardly offensive. There have been no genuine attacks/insulting tirades against the female gender, only criticism against women's tennis and some quite harmless jokes.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #1733
country flag GOATsol

Quote:
A women's college and no 'funny' comments about men ? That is surprising indeed, although the relative lack of interaction with men can partly explain it
No, just a lot of girls that are very desperate to date.

But no insulting comments about men at all.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #1734

Quote:
No, just a lot of girls that are very desperate to date.
Surprising too though. You'd expect equally desperate guys to be found at/near a women's college hoping to get lucky (and thus getting those desperate girls) Either that or the girls finding dates outside of uni (I'm assuming you don't spend all your time there).

Quote:
But no insulting comments about men at all.
Well, little interaction with men on a daily basis + no dating makes it harder to find flaws or hold any grudges against men
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #1735
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
More people tuned into the womens final than the mens final at the US Open this year, I think we can close this thread now
the United States is not the whole world
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #1736
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Not like anything Nadal allegedly has said is wrong.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #1737
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post

What a sexist pig, this Nadull. Time to open a million threads about this incident.
Yes. Someone do it, already! We need that thread for some "proper discussions".
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #1738
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
Given the women's final had an AMERICAN in it and the USO men's final was on a Monday night instead of a Sunday, you have no basis for an argument.

And the US doesn't represent the world.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #1739
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Not like anything Nadal allegedly has said is wrong.

GOATsol, you need to let go of your prejudices. I was not laughing at what Ivanovic said but the fact Nadal said it.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #1740
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

I was previously against the equal prize money, as i thought the guys worked more and had more spectators.

But i started slowly changing my mind, starting with the stats of the men and women finals at USO.

Yes, local player, Monday, Sunday, whatever. But, the women top 10 (which is a very volatile ranking, so the potential top 10 are actually 20 girls) have Russians, Chinese players, Aussie, American, German, Italian and French players, which in potential spectators is half the planet.

ATP we all know - 2 Spaniards, 2 Argies, a Swiss, UK, 2 Serbian, Czech and French - try to count the potential spectators and compared to China only...or the USA, or Russia..

So inevitably WTA would produce more money for tennis at the moment compared to ATP, or minimum the same amounts, so before we get a Chinese, an American and a Russian in top 10 ATP, forget about men deserving to get more money than the ladies.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote