Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 113 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #1681
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
HQ is in Europe now.
Moved in the 90s though when an Austrian bought it out I believe.

Was in the US for 30 odd years.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #1682
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyz View Post
Of the total revenue of the US Open this year or a previous year, what is the percentage from ticket sales versus corporate sponsors? The vast majority of the money and I would say 75% comes from those sponsors. The ticket prices are fixed based on day/night and stadium site selection. There is no variation in prices for men or women. So there is no way for anyone to say who is generating what. There is no way to say the WTA is taking anything away from the ATP at the US Open; especially, since the majority of money comes from corporate donors.

Frankly you guys and the smarmy misogynists amongst you should be happy the women around. Per capita they are generating a lot more revenue for their best of three sets. Their shorter matches allow for the long matches some of you love.

P.S. Murray does not compare to Sharapova or Serena in drawing power apart from his home country.
P.S.S. I cannot understand why you Tipsarevic wannabes are so pressed about the WTA. You can enjoy one tour, without having to denigrate the other. There are worthy and non so worthy players to watch on both tours.
The grand slams are huge revenue generators from a lot of sources. Sponsors, ticket sales, TV contracts, and don't forget concession sales. Those are $10 draft beers folks are carrying around that cost a dollar and the tourney get's a big cut of those sales.

Grand slams give out a fairly small portion of their total revenue generated in prize money ( something like 20% on average), so it's a big reason that giving equal prize money to women didn't take away anything from the men. Such a small fraction, it was not a decision of if we give the women more, we take it away from the men. That argument just doesn't fly at the Grand slams, and big reason they just did it.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #1683
country flag gaitare

gaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutu View Post

Gotta love the whole "piggybacking" argument that ATP fans and players always bring up. You claim the WTA is nothing but a sideshow in these events, yet they apparently hold all the power and have forced the ATP into joint events against their will? Come on now. That's ridiculous.

In reality, it's the tournaments and TDs that benefit most from joint events. They want their event to resemble the slams as closely as possible because that's what brings in revenue and public interest. There's even talk of combining the broadcasting rights to make these events even more similar to them. Cincinnati had its best ever attendance 2 weeks ago and the Rome TD was raving about how much more money and interest the joint event brings in. The decision to combine the events was proposed and brought into fruition over the course of years and the ATP cooperated and completely agreed to it. It's not changing anytime soon.
Imagine you've got an awesome product. Why wouldn't you sell it over two weeks? Why would you cram so many stars into a fewer number of big court slots on offer in 7 or 8 days? It would be most natural to have Rome separately and cash in on both men and women.

The problem is that WTA Rome was struggling for sponsorship and audiences. It wouldn't survive as a standalone event. How is that not piggybacking? The joint event is there to cut down cost on the WTA event, organizers wanted it badly, because two similar-looking products in reality had different quality and thus there was different demand for them. Of course the joint tournaments love to go for the grandslam feel because it's probably the only way to elevate women's tennis and make it more respectable and make people come and watch it.

I also don't understand why so many WTA apologists bring Sharapova into the picture almost all the time and want to make her a symbol of the success of women's tennis. Sharapova is a specific case, her limited game (she learned how to move around the court at 24, that's adorable, by 30 she might make her movement coordinated enough to hit overheads) was from the very beginning hidden under the cover of brilliantly executed marketing. When people flock to see Federer, Nadal and the like, they come primarily for the tennis, when people flock to see Sharapova, they come first and foremost to see the sex symbol and the popcultural icon. Sharapova and her agent worked very hard for that, even when she for years disappeared from sight as a player because of shoulder injury and poor form, she and her agent worked their asses off to keep her star quality power high and google search engines running. The success of Maria Sharapova isn't the success of women's tennis, it's the success of Maria Sharapova and her agent. She is bigger than the sport and that may create countless problems for women's tennis.
gaitare is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #1684
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, my take on the issue is that women should play best of 5. I think this would settle at least part of the dispute (ie "they don't put in as much effort").

I do enjoy men's tennis more, that's true. But unlike some people here, I do not think that women's matches are painstainkingly awful to watch.
I have great memories of certain women's matches, I will never forget the Graf vs Hingis final, for instance. I enjoyed watching Henin a lot. At the moment, I'm not crazy about most of the players, which is probably why I don't watch it as much as the men.
But it hasn't always been the case.

Watching 5 sets of WTA wouldn't be a punishment for me, actually, I often regret while watching WTA matches that some of them do not go further. I think it's one of the main things that make WTA tennis less exciting for me, when a match is close, I want to be able to watch a thrilling 5-setter.
I'm pretty sure they have the physical ability to do it.

Now, the organizers would be in trouble, but that's another story...
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #1685
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post

Watching 5 sets of WTA wouldn't be a punishment for me, actually, I often regret while watching WTA matches that some of them do not go further. I think it's one of the main things that make WTA tennis less exciting for me, when a match is close, I want to be able to watch a thrilling 5-setter.
I'm pretty sure they have the physical ability to do it.
No, they don't. Have you seen what passes for the top player on WTA these days? Do you really think the likes of Radwanska, Kvitova, Bartoli or Kerber would last for 5 sets, especially in 30+ degree heat? Lol, no way in hell.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #1686
country flag vavavoom

vavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond reputevavavoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokigor View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed on here before, but what do people think about this? I'm a huge fan of the women's game, probably more than the men's but I just can't condone the issue of equal prize money at all for several reasons. Women don't play as many sets as the men in the majors and ticket sales suggest that people would rather watch the men's game, although that gap is narrowing I think.
Also, there is much more of a gap between the top women and those
outside the top 50, and that's why they breeze through the early
rounds in less than an hour, as opposed to the men, who are almost
always given a tough test.
Anyone got any views on this? Is suppose if I
posted this on the WTA board I might get a different response
lol wut?
vavavoom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #1687
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=gaitare;12398943]Imagine you've got an awesome product. Why wouldn't you sell it over two weeks? Why would you cram so many stars into a fewer number of big court slots on offer in 7 or 8 days? It would be most natural to have Rome separately and cash in on both men and women.

The problem is that WTA Rome was struggling for sponsorship and audiences. It wouldn't survive as a standalone event. How is that not piggybacking? The joint event is there to cut down cost on the WTA event, organizers wanted it badly, because two similar-looking products in reality had different quality and thus there was different demand for them. Of course the joint tournaments love to go for the grandslam feel because it's probably the only way to elevate women's tennis and make it more respectable and make people come and watch it.

Quote:

I also don't understand why so many WTA apologists bring Sharapova into the picture almost all the time and want to make her a symbol of the success of women's tennis. Sharapova is a specific case, her limited game (she learned how to move around the court at 24, that's adorable, by 30 she might make her movement coordinated enough to hit overheads) was from the very beginning hidden under the cover of brilliantly executed marketing. When people flock to see Federer, Nadal and the like, they come primarily for the tennis, when people flock to see Sharapova, they come first and foremost to see the sex symbol and the popcultural icon. Sharapova and her agent worked very hard for that, even when she for years disappeared from sight as a player because of shoulder injury and poor form, she and her agent worked their asses off to keep her star quality power high and google search engines running. The success of Maria Sharapova isn't the success of women's tennis, it's the success of Maria Sharapova and her agent. She is bigger than the sport and that may create countless problems for women's tennis.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #1688
country flag gaitare

gaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond repute

This post is too postmodernist, Tutu, I don't understand.
gaitare is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #1689
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitare View Post
When people flock to see Federer, Nadal and the like, they come primarily for the tennis
From personal experience at tournaments, even this is debatable
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #1690
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

men's tennis attracts cougars

what about women's tennis? they need more cowbell
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #1691
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Cougars? Damn it, I'm only 27

And well, I think that before saying that they can't last 5 sets, they should give it a try.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #1692
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
From personal experience at tournaments, even this is debatable
Well most sports fans (and thus probably tennis fans) are heterosexual males.

So I'd be surprised if they watched it for other reasons
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #1693
country flag Bagelicious

Bagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond repute

In support of men and women getting equal prize money, I would like to present exhibit A:

USO final 2012, Murray vs. Djokovic.

I rest my case.

I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!
Bagelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #1694
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelicious View Post
In support of men and women getting equal prize money, I would like to present exhibit A:

I rest my case.
Here Here!

The fact that Djokovic is cramping in the fifth set, even with his gluten free diet, and also Tipsarevic himself needed to stop mid-game for cramp in his match, speaks volumes.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #1695
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelicious View Post

I rest my case.
Yup, WTA final was better than this mugfest we saw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote