Hi all, new here: My tennis story + I need your help/suggestions. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
country flag Borisbeck

Borisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi all, new here: My tennis story + I need your help/suggestions.

Hi all, I'm 24 and an avid tennis player from the Philippines. Joined the forums for when I get bored as **** at work and to get all possible tennis info/help there is as I'm trying to make a late run for the pros.

In case you're interested, this is my tennis story:

I started at the age of 6, played casually till the age of 13, loved it so much that I asked my dad to hire the best possible coach so that I could take my game to a whole new level. I trained everyday for a good 4 years, became a successful varsity captain and played very well for my school, but not so successful as a national junior. I could beat a lot of people in practice but not in tournaments (I'm sure a lot of you can relate). Highest ranking was top 20 in the country for 16-under (out of about 200-300 regular juniors ((small tennis country)).

At 17, my dad suffered a massive heart attack and the family business went to pits and we went broke (pardon the sappy story but thought it had to be included). I had to continue my studies and at the same time, jump start the business as my dad was in recovery. Tennis had to go. For the next 5 years, tennis became a once a week/once in two week thing as I had to put all my time in supporting the family and going to college.

Just before I hit 23 , my dad had had one more heart attack and successful surgery, and the business has been doing excellent and looks to be set for the longterm(knock on wood). I was done with school and working full time. Tennis continued to be a once a week thing which I still loved with all my heart. Then I was ready for more.

I'm now 24, and I've been working on my game for a good year now, increased tennis to 2x a week, then 3, then 4, then 5, while getting in serious shape. Game is getting a lot better and my fitness is improving. Problem is that I don't have much match play (getting to that). I recently played the #28 in the country, lost convincingly 6-2 6-3 (a dominating 6-2 6-3). So that it's clearer, the #1 in the country is Cecille Mamiit who once reached the top 70 and is currently 200 level I believe. The #2 is around 800 in the world. So that tells you what the #28 would be like.

Here's my question: Is making it to the pros at 24 going 25 possible???

These are my goals so that you can answer better:

-Davis Cup
-Qualify for the Asian Games in 2010

Even if I get to 700 in the world, I feel like that could be an achievement. I'm not doing it for the money (fortunately that's taken care of). I just want to do it because it's what I've wanted to do since forever.

What do you think my ceiling is???

Appreciate all the info I can get. Hope I can contribute well to this forum.

Cheers everyone.
Borisbeck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
country flag JimmyV

JimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all, new here: My tennis story + I need your help/suggestions.

Do you have a 2 handed backhand?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
country flag NinaNina19

NinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Do you have a 2 handed backhand?
You guys are such assholes but I lol'ed.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

It's your time and your money, so do whatever you want if it makes you happy. You could earn 3 singles points by the time you are done.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
country flag wilmar

wilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond reputewilmar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Borisbeck! Welcome!
24 is probably a little behind on the international level, and we need to add those few more years to get to that level
Perhaps you can start by focusing more on the national level first (since Davis Cup is top priority)...and let the other things take its course?
At least no financial pressure..so you can enjoy your tennis...
wilmar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the poster kostas kastoria for advice, he recently turned pro and is getting all the girls now.

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
country flag Borisbeck

Borisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond reputeBorisbeck has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmy V, Still not familiar with whatever the inside joke is, but yes, I do have a doublehanded backhand.

Thanks wilmar, I did write that Davis Cup/Asian games is the initial goal since it's what I find the most realistic at the moment.

And Fee, 3 points would be enough to wet my pants!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

eww Boris, thanks for the visual!

The 2 handed BH comment is an inside joke on this forum because a thread was started that the one hander is a disadvantage or something.

Back on topic, go to www.itftennis.com and search for a player named Whit Livingston. You might find something interesting about his travels and his results. It will give you an idea of what you could be facing in the next 12 months as you look for points.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
country flag JimmyV

JimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares what other people think your ceiling is? If this is something you really want go for it and give it everything you have for a year or two while your still young enough to do it, otherwise you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
country flag Borisbeck

Fee: Thanks very much! I will check that out.

Jimmy V: I already am giving it all I've got, didn't think I would lose anything gathering info from a tennis information haven either. I care what other people think when they know something that I don't. I want to know everything possible as I'm about to engage in a major undertaking.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #11
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it if you are financially secured. I'm sure you'll have fun.

On the other hand, this guy would be the happiest person if he could collect 3 points and "some of us" keep bashing top 10-100 players on a regular basis. It's kinda sad
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #12
country flag Borisbeck

I was also thinking of attending Saddlebrooke tennis academy for a 3 weeks to 1 month (most time I can take off from work). What do you think??
Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #13
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what Jimbo will think of this thread.

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

If money isn't an issue, JUST GO FOR IT. You'll learn a lot, no matter how small the chances are .. and who knows

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
country flag Borisbeck

I'm not financially secured per se, I have a business that's smooth flowing, that's all. I go to work from monday to friday from 9-7. The most I can get out is a month (which I was thinking of using on Saddlebrooke), thus I'll have to earn my mettle nationally first. No room to travel and play satellites/challengers, YET.