Getting Sky or digital TV in the UK in order to watch more tennis? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
country flag crimson

crimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting Sky or digital TV in the UK in order to watch more tennis?

I live in the UK and at the moment I only have terrestrial TV, and apart from the Wimbledon coverage which is great, the rest of the year the BBC doesn't show that much tennis coverage: the finals of the Australian and French Opens, and any Davis Cup ties that Britain is involved in, and that's pretty much it. So I was thinking about getting digital or Sky TV so I could watch Eurosport and Sky Sports and see more tournaments that way. I was wondering what other forum members think is the best deal for getting the most tennis viewing? Thanks to anyone who can help with advice
crimson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
country flag crouching

crouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond reputecrouching has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Sky or digital TV in the UK in order to watch more tennis?

Sky Sports has extensive coverage of all the nine ATP Masters series events, the Masters Cup, the US Open, the Davis Cup (usually following the same team - usually the US). This year they also covered various ATP events (e.g. Nottingham, Rotterdam). They also have the weekly ATP Tennis magazine programme on Thursday nights.

If you get a satellite package from Sky, you can use the "Interactive" function to select from various courts, so you don't have to watch the match that is televised on the 'main' channel. I'm not sure if cable (NTL or Telewest) gives you that function.

You also get a large choice of courts on the BBC interactive service during Wimbledon.

Eurosport has coverage of the French Open and the Australian Open almost throughout the entire day's play... However, they always make way for "nonsense" events like cycling or motorbike racing in the middle of the day's schedule, and often when there are good matches.

Eurosport also covers most (or all) of the WTA Tier I tournaments from the last 16 onwards, and many Tier II tournaments from the quarterfinals or semifinals. I don't recall watching any Tier III or lower tournaments. They also cover selected ATP tour events, usually the finals or semis of European tournaments, and also Fed Cup ties.

If you want to go for Sky Sports + Eurosport, the cheapest Sky package will be Sky Sports World Family Pack at £33 per month. This gives you Sky Sports 1-3 and Sky Sports Extra. Tennis is usually shown on 2, 3 and Extra.... but unfortunately, to get these three channels, you have to pay for all four.

If you want Sky Sports but not Eurosport, you can choose Sky Sports World Value Pack at £31 per month. However, for only £2 more, you might as well get Eurosport, plus you get almost 100 more channels.

If you're happy with only Eurosport coverage, you should go for the standard Family Pack (without premium channels) at £19.50 per month.

However, to avoid the stupidly high installation charge, you should sign up to the full Sky package (£40 per month) for the first month, and you'll pay either £10 or £1, instead of £100 or £150, for installation. After the first month, you are free to change to any cheaper package of your choice - that's what most people do... (I don't watch films on Sky Movies, so there's no point in paying for them)

Finally, if you are going to sign up to Sky, please let me know! I'll give you my subscriber code... if you quote that when you sign up, I think we both get £30 (or £50) in M&S vouchers!
crouching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
country flag crimson

crimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, crouching, that was really informative. And I will certainly let you know if I do decide to go ahead and get Sky.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Just one thing to add, NTL does offer interactive now. We've been badgering them for ages, and finally it started working at the beginning of Wimbledon (phew!).
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
country flag crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
Just one thing to add, NTL does offer interactive now. We've been badgering them for ages, and finally it started working at the beginning of Wimbledon (phew!).
OK thanks for letting me know
Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
country flag athie

athie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond repute

I've the full SKY package at £40 pcm (includes the flim/sports channels) and to be honest I would be totally lost without it especially the interactive service.
Admittedly we don’t get to see every tournament but judging by some of the comments on these boards we don’t do too badly either in the UK.

On the other hand there's nothing on for a few weeks
athie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
country flag GarethHodges

GarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching
Sky Sports has extensive coverage of all the nine ATP Masters series events, the Masters Cup, the US Open, the Davis Cup (usually following the same team - usually the US). This year they also covered various ATP events (e.g. Nottingham, Rotterdam). They also have the weekly ATP Tennis magazine programme on Thursday nights.
Sky Sports also show the ATP World Team Cup in the week before the French Open. They also show the DFS Classic (WTA event) which is the same week as the Stella Artois Championships and of course they show the Fed Cup.
GarethHodges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #8
country flag Frooty_Bazooty

Frooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond repute

crimson, as outrageously evil as Sky are, I have to admit that their tennis coverage is excellent. Although the Sky sports coverage is totally sexist (they only show womens tennis at the USO) and their commentators are ****SHIT**** its still brilliant and the choose ur own court thing is awesome.

Eurosport is also brilliant although you cant chose the court, they usually choose the best matches anyway. The commentators are absolutely superb and they show the smaller mens tournaments and the Tier I womens tournaments.

dont get NTL, its really shite. Go with the super evil Sky.
Year end no. 1 in 2012

PAW Titles : 9 (WIMBLEDON '12, Washington '11, Acapulco '08, Stockholm '07, Houston '05, Monte Carlo TMS '04, Newport '04, Beijing '04, Moscow '04)
Finalist: 15 (Buenos Aires '12, Stockholm '11, Barcelona '11, Queen's 09, Nottingham '08, Las Vegas '08, Adelaide '08, Tokyo '06, St Poelten '06, Australian Open '05, St Poelten '05, Newport '05, Wimbledon '04, Houston '04, Basel '04)
Frooty_Bazooty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
country flag crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frooty_Bazooty
crimson, as outrageously evil as Sky are, I have to admit that their tennis coverage is excellent. Although the Sky sports coverage is totally sexist (they only show womens tennis at the USO) and their commentators are ****SHIT**** its still brilliant and the choose ur own court thing is awesome.

Eurosport is also brilliant although you cant chose the court, they usually choose the best matches anyway. The commentators are absolutely superb and they show the smaller mens tournaments and the Tier I womens tournaments.

dont get NTL, its really shite. Go with the super evil Sky.
LOL, yeah I know what you mean about Sky being evil! That's one of the things that puts me off, I hate the idea of lining Rupert Murdoch's pockets with even more cash, but I'm desperate to get to see more tennis and it does sound really good in terms of the amount of coverage you get and the extra features.