Football and other sports - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
country flag KiwiChica

KiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Football and other sports

Okay. Since Di and I totally hijacked the Chat Thread with our football talk and started to think that maybe some of you who don't like football will get bored with reading our musings about The Beautiful Game, we decided to start a thread for general sports discussion - for ALL sports outside tennis. So if you love football, icehockey, fencing, Formula 1, cycling, figure skating, curling, skiing races, biathlon and whatever else is out there - feel free to join in here!

Right now, I am following the CL scores on eurosport.yahoo.de and so far, it's looking good, as Liverpool and Barcelona both are leading. Also, Atletico Madrid are kicking some PSV Eindhoven's ass. Which is good. Because I don't like the Lightbulbs. (I support Ajax Amsterdam in the Dutch league, and they are rivals!) Just Werder Bremen give me a bit of a headache right now, it's 0-0 vs some Cypriot team I have never heard of, Anorthosis Famagusta or something. Go Werder.

FC ST. PAULI - LIVERPOOL FC - FC BARCELONA

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
KiwiChica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football and other sports

Kiwi

Yay for Liverpool My mates all chose to ring me, so got distracted, so didn't see the 2nd half, but Liverpool were deserved winners in my view.

OMG my mate in Sheffield she will be so smugly happy. Well she supports the red half(United) and they drew after having a man sent off for serious foul play The other side of Sheffield, the blue half - well they lost errr quite badly, well very badly at Reading And she can go to watch her team play my team on Saturday, because she found a babysitter Its gonna be such fun for the two of us on Saturday

Oh and I am crazy about motorcycling too, don't know if I've ever mentioned that, thats for another time

Looking forward to seeing more sportslovers here soon Sports rock

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
country flag deanna

deanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond reputedeanna has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, I'm gonna like this thread Good idea!

.JuanCarlosFerrero.DavidFerrer.
.ArnaudClément.FilippoVolandri.SimoneBolelli.JuanMonaco.
.FernandoGonzalez.FelicianoLopez.
Ferrero Tard #29
deanna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
country flag KiwiChica

KiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiChica has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Deanna! Nice to see you here as well. Well, I was hoping you'd join, to be honest, because I know that you love footie, too.

Anyway. Aside from football and tennis, here is a list of the sports I like lots as well:

- SKIING RACES, especially Downhill and Super-G. OMG, the SPEED! I've been to some races and it was amazing.

- BIATHLON. I am truly obsessed with it once winter comes and I can watch it on TV.

- handball. Especially when there's international tournaments such as WC or EC going on. Love the German squad the most and follow TBV Lemgo and HSG D/M Wetzlar a bit.

- anything adrenaline involved, especially skydiving. That one is obvious.

and

- some motorsports. Used to be a HUGE Formula 1 fanatic, but my interest has ceased a bit during the past couple of years. I still tune in, but the thrill is gone.

Occasionally, I'll watch basketball, track and field, icehockey and skijumping.

Tonight, more CL action. sat1 will air Steaua Bucuresti vs FC Bayern and I will be watching. Let's see how well Bayern will do on international soil and under their new coach.

And before I end this here, I have to admit, while I am interested in the sports first and foremost, I can't help being a shallow fangirl from time to time and drool over the hotties on a football pitch (mostly). Hehe.

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
country flag Chrissie_7

Chrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond reputeChrissie_7 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a great idea
Old 09-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
country flag KiwiChica

Hi Chrissie! Nice to see you here as well.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!! I just found out that the match 1. FSV Mainz 05 vs SV Wehen Wiesbaden will be a Monday evening match and thus be on TV. Thing is - Mainz and Wiesbaden have a rivalry going on, so this should be a very interesting one. I happen to like both teams, but I think I lean a bit more towards SVWW now, although 05 are nice. I just shouldn't admit to that in SVWW's forum, otherwise I'd get kicked out there.

Anyway. Yeah, I'll be in front of our TV that evening, and they better show my Ronny a little more often or ... Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him do the same thing he did to Cologne last season when he scored a hat-trick within seven minutes - the fastest hat-trick to have ever been scored in the history of the second division. So I guess now you know why I dig that guy (aside from the fact that he is totally hot)?

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
Old 09-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Norwich 0 QPR 1 Basically, everything that could go wrong did, all after Matt Connolly of QPR got sent off in the 1st half an hour. Yes, we were still attacking, but they do as all teams do after a sending off, defend tightly, work harder for each other. Then worse, 7 minutes later we were that goal down, a retaken free kick after our captain Mark Fotheringham, came out too early to block The retake from just outside the area was thundered in.(sigh)

They had brought on Latvian defender Kaspars Gorkss to replace a striker following the sending off, and this also helped to change the game. We struggled to make the extra man count, and the final pass was indecisive. At half-time the boss gave us a talking too surely, because we suddenly came out firing at the start of the 2nd half

And, Glenn Roeder made a change which saw our winger Lee Croft come on to replace out striker Italian Artur Lupoli. As has been the case this season, when Darel Russell was also pushed up front it made the difference and we came back into the game. But then we saw our new signing Mark Kennedy have to leave the field limping, and our seasoned striker Jamie Cureton have to depart the field with a bloody head wound Our other striker Antoine Sibierski made a real nuisance of himself in the final quarter of an hour, suddenly we were shooting in, but the ball just would not nestle into the back of the net. One of those nights against a team who are scoring goals for fun, and are going to be taken over by very rich owners very soon. Money talks

Other sports I like, well motorcycling, love little Spaniard Dani Pedrosa, and Aussie Casey Stoner I love to watch cricket, anywhere I can too, in the summer. Its such a great game, but games never seem to finish positively because of our stupid I mean it takes 4 days to settle a interstate game, or in our case a County game, and there is rarely a win for one team over the other because the elements get in the way

I am in love with the Aussie cricket team, my favourite players, wow so many,but I so miss Gilly, and Glenn McGrath. The Waugh brothers, legends Ricky Ponting, what a batsman, what a captain For England, Stuart Broad and Kevin Pietersen.

I like to watch most sports, but its tennis, football, cricket and motorcycling that excite me most and get my pulse racing. I have photos, OMG so many, will post some when I have the time to sort the great ones from the average

Deanna, Chrissie good to see you here too Looking forward to some more sporting stories, from more of you lovely chicas.

Chicos, where are you, this is for you too Come in and see us

Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
country flag KiwiChica

Sorry to hear about Norwich's loss, Di.

Right now, I am listening to VfL Wolfsburg vs Rapid Bucuresti, and I freaking don't like both. Rapid took us out in UEFA Cup a while ago (but then again, we didn't deserve winning because we completely sucked in both matches ...), and Wolfsburg simply are a team I could gladly do without. In addition, there are two ex Hertha players playing for them (Alexander Madlung, once a hero of mine because it was HIS goal which definitely saved us from being relegated several years ago; and Ashkan Dejagah), but ever since they signed a contract with THAT team, they moved to my black list and I consider them traitors now. However, the game seems to be a good one.

Ahem.

Excuse me, but I gotta post what I want:

this is SV Wehen Wiesbaden's home shirt (I once posted it in the Chat Thread as well, but since the I-want-that-shirt-issue is still going on in my mind ...)

front:

And all three shirts (the white one looks okay to me, but the light blue one somehow doesn't do it for me; I want mine to have 13 and KÖNIG on the back, and in black and red, of course!)

(both stolen from SVWW's website)

So yeah, when I have 80 Euros to spend somewhere, I'll buy it. It looks pretty, I love the collar, and I just want to add items to my ever-expanding football collection. I usually collect scarves, but shirts are also very welcome.

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
country flag KiwiChica

Okay. This is what I'll get this weekend:

Borussia Mönchengladbach (they used to be really big in the 70s) vs HERTHA BSC BERLIN
and
SC Freiburg vs SV WEHEN WIESBADEN (saw them both last season and my SVWW boys won 2-0 there and thus stole Freiburg their last chance to get promoted, match is tomorrow).

If it were me, I'd have gone to Gladbach this morning to cheer my Hertha Boys on and from there to Freiburg to watch Wehen-Wiesbaden tomorrow. I am nuts, I know. However, I plan to do exactly that next year. Steffi suggested to go to SVWW's very last homegame of the season, and I am pretty sure that I'll be travelling to Karlsruhe (we have a so-called Fanfreundschaft with them which means that Hertha and Karlsruhe-supporters get along very well), as Karlsruhe is only 2.5hrs away from me by train. Completely do-able for a day-trip. I'd be back home some time in the evening and then take the train to Frankfurt and from there to Wiesbaden on Sunday. Hey, I live only once, right? Groundhopping light. But back to the SCF - SVWW game: dad and I are having a bit of a playful argument here. Dad is still slightly attached to Freiburg, while I am full on SVWW now, and I told him that SVWW were going to kick their asses (Freiburg are currently 3rd in the ranking, while Wehen-Wiesbaden are 13th, having only three points from three draws and one defeat, and only one point ahead of the last ranked team). And dad was like, "Yeah, right! Wehen will lose!" Me, "No way. Just so you wait, Ronny will score again!" (He hasn't scored since some time last season ...)

BTW, I consider THIS for SV Wehen Wiesbaden, although I am still rather new to them and not really sure if I can already consider myself a fan ...

Also, Liverpool have a home match vs Stoke City. Bring it on.

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
country flag KiwiChica

Sorry for spamming, but

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BAYERN!!!!

So, Werder Bremen travel all the way down to Munich, lacking three important players, and what happens? They win that freaking match 5-2! Last time a team got five goals past a Bayern goalie was more than 30 (!) years ago (Bayern lost 0-7 back then), and Werder never managed to score more than three goals against them.

*muahahaha*

Now all I need is a Ronny goal and a Wehen-Wiesbaden victory vs Freiburg tomorrow and this weekend is perfect, since Hertha BSC won in Gladbach. Admittedly, it was a bit lucky, but what matters more is that we won there, and thereby secured three valuable points. Yay.

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
country flag but-it's-ok

Bayern lost 5-2

I went to watch Norwich play Sheffield United on Saturday,we won 1-0 in the 90th minute - Lee Croft curler My poor friend who is a Sheffield United fan, made it to the game, but bet she wishes she had stayed home. Sheffield United had so many chances, they just couldn't hit a barn door Our last gasp win puts us in the top half of the table I took some pics of the outside of the Carrow Road stadium, I'll post them when I have time The pics I took of the match,they were a disaster So,I'll probably scan a few pictures in from the local paper.

Yay for Hertha It doesn't matter how you win as long as you do

Kiwi those Wiesbaden shirts are sooooooo nice

Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
country flag KiwiChica

Football action tonight! Cup matches. We're playing away in Dortmund vs Borussia Dortmund who lost two matches in a row: their UEFA Cup match vs Udinese Calcio (0-2) and the league match to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim who only got promoted this year. So far, Hoffenheim are the surprise of the league, being second behind FC Schalke 04. Our record in this DFB Pokal (as the competition is called) isn't the best, to be honest here. Last time, we lost to third league team Wuppertaler SV in a rather shameful matter, and the year before, we were leading 2-0 at St Pauli and still lost the match because we started strutting around on the pitch. Yikes. The only time when Hertha BSC had some success in this competition dates back to 1993 when our amateur team reached the final (and lost 0-1 to Bayer Leverkusen). But other than that - forget about Hertha BSC and DFB Pokal.

SV Wehen Wiesbaden are up at home vs Alemannia Aachen. With the exception of the first round in DFB Pokal, SVWW haven't won a single match (friendlies and small tournaments don't count) since the 2008/2009 season started. What makes matters worse is that a certain striker whom I happen to like a whole lot (actually, it borders on being obsessed with him) hasn't scored since 1,300 minutes (which is QUITE A LOT). He needs a goal really bad, and I don't care if it's a rebound, a freekick, a bicycle kick or a header. He just needs that one damn goal to build up confidence and end his non-scoring streak. But the main problem is that SVWW's game is built up around Ronny, and of course their opponents know that and try to take him out of the game. However, I hope he'll have a great evening and the boys aren't too down from their shameful performance (they lost 0-5 in Freiburg on Sunday, the only player who had a halfwhat decent - as far as you can say "halfwhat decent" if your opponents get five balls past you! - was their goalie Alex Walke) in Freiburg ... I hear there won't be too many spectators in SVWW's BRITA Arena (nicknamed Filter) tonight, yesterday, there were only roughly 3,000 (!!) tickets sold. I wish I could be there and cheer the boys on!

Some other matches that took place yesterday: 1860 Munich won vs MSV Duisburg after a penalty shootout. Yay. And 1. FSV Mainz 05 won the Battle of Carnival vs 1. FC Köln (both towns are known for their carnival celebrations) 3-1. What pissed me off is that Energie Cottbus won 3-0 over Gladbach. I bloody hate Cottbus!! Oh well.

FC Bayern's match vs The Club (the nickname Nuremberg have) is on TV tonight. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY always Bayern's matches? At least on free TV ... if I had payTV I'd prolly switch to and fro between SVWW and Hertha BSC.

Okay. That's it for now.

All the best for my teams tonight!

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA

Last edited by KiwiChica : 09-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
country flag KiwiChica

OMG HE SCORED!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! RONNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

*totally abusing capslock and !! here*

I was following both (Hertha BSC and SV Wehen Wiesbaden) matches on livescore, and both had me on the verge of getting a cardiac arrest. Why is football so thrilling sometimes, especially when you're as much emotionally involved as I am? Well ... I guess that can't even be answered by us hardcore footie fans whose lives revolve around the sport. Hehe! It is just the way it is.

While Hertha lost in overtime to Dortmund (well, I guess I have to live with that, at least, we didn't make asses out of ourselves like we did in previous Cup matches), SV Wehen Wiesbaden didn't. They won 1-0 thanks to Ronny's nice header - after Bakary Diakite's cross. Ronny only had to net that ball in. And he did. I am SO SO SO HAPPY for him right now!! If I grant someone THAT goal, then it's him. Finally, after more than 1,300 goalless minutes, he did it.

TWO COLOURS ONE LOVE (copyright: Nordwand SVWW)

This team so won me over, really. *sigh* Third round, here's SV WEHEN WIESBADEN! Ha!

The following conversation happened between me and my dad after the Hertha match:

me: "Well, at least Wehen got deeper than Hertha did."
Dad: "WHAT?!" *checking the results*
me *grinning from ear to ear*: "And now take a wild guess who scored?"
Dad: "No idea."
Me: "My Ronny did!"
Dad: "Okay, now I know why you are in such a good mood ..." (I am known to be slightly pissed off when Hertha BSC lost a match)

Ronny made my day today, that is for sure. I love this guy!

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
country flag but-it's-ok

Yay for Ronny That surely makes up for Hertha losing big style.
I had to laugh at the results in our League Cup last night, Ipswich our bitter rivals lost 4-1 at home to Wigan - yay

Then Manchester City, who are the new richest team in the Premier League, some say the World now(eh?) after a massive injection of cash provided by some mega rich people in UAE, well they lost 5-3 on penalties to League 1 side Brighton, away at the Withdean in Brighton. Richest team in the Premiership cant take penalties The red half of Manchester, they'll be in ecstatic for months at that result Even I am sharing Man Uniteds joy, though I'm not a fan of either Manchester team.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
country flag KiwiChica

I am still so happy for Ronny. THAT goal was EXACTLY what he needed. And I hope he will find the confidence now to score a little more often now. I wanted to give him a big hug afterwards, that is for sure. I've seen some pics of him on the fence and celebrating with the fans - and he looks so happy and relieved on the pics. But can anyone blame him? Certainly not. Well done, Ronny!

Here's a video of fanclub The5Brothers who filmed a "choreography" the fans made before the match started. It is not that important what the guy babbles in the background, just pay attention to what the fans do, their clapping and chanting = wow. It's so freaking amazing!

The banner in the video says TWO COLOURS ONE LOVE, btw.

Here's the vid: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCOdqk9Sg8

I now can't wait for the matches this weekend - we have a homematch vs Energie Cottbus (our rivals), while Wehen-Wiesbaden play at home vs freshly promoted RW Ahlen. Bring it on! I want six points!

And finally ... at ManCity. There ya go - money doesn't automatically buy you titles!

SV WEHEN WIESBADEN

ARMADA ESPAÑOLA