Andy will turn the Fed rivalry around. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-05-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
country flag henree

henree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andy will turn the Fed rivalry around.

There were a few things I noticed about Roddick and Federer that indicate to me Roddick is almost ready to equalize their rivalry.

Roddick
The first thing I noticed was that Roddick is alot faster around the court than before. The 10lbs he lost has certainly paid off. Roddick got himself out of alot of trouble by not falling for Federer's rally tricks. Specifically going behind his opponents with forehand winners. Andy combatted this by not being so quick to to run to the center of the court. Leaving him the option of chasing down a potential down the line shot. Most players have the instinct to constantly scurry back to the center of the court after every shot.

Also Roddick has finally figured out that if you dictate and get the first strike in the rally, you can get the best of Federer. I have never seen someone so convincingly beating Federer in baseline rallies. This is probably the reason Fed starting Serve and Volleying toward the end of the 2nd set. Andy got the best of him in the majority of their baseline rallies. Who would of thought using power could unnerve Feder so much!

Roddick seemed fearless facing Federer's serve. Countless times I saw him during this match step in during Federers 1st and 2nd serve. This is a big step for Andy as well. He use to stand miles behind the baseline to recieve serves from most opponents. Roddick was hitting forehand winners off of Fed's 1st serves. Andy broke Federer 5 times, and stretched Fed to duece 11 times. Pretty descent stuff.

All in all I don't think Roddick expected to win this match. He came in guns blazing, but I think of this whole experience as a great measure of how far Andy's game has evolved over the past year. Andy is way off from playing at his ultimate peak. But he now has this match as a blueprint of how to play Federer in the future. Something tells me that their head to head will be equalized with in a year.
henree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy will turn the Fed rivalry around.

I hope you figure out grass is alot different than other surfaces.
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he also realizes that Federer was no where near his best yesterday, but still found away to win
Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 AM   #4
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Roger never losses to anyone consistantly anymore, and he aint going to start losing to Pandy. I expect by the end of their Careers the 'rivalry' will be 15-1, or 15-2 to Fed, still! . Depends on how much they play. Andy is Roger's bitch, officialy, so get used to it.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
country flag henree

henree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond repute

Federer said it himself in his post match interview that he can't see what other parts of his game needs improvement other than his volleys. Roddick is clearly at 70%. And this match came down to playing the big points well. Roddick has come far, and 1 year from now, he will be ready to take Roger's Wimbledon crown.
henree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

hey hitchiker!
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm sure Andy can win more matches beside the one that he won. And that win was also when Roger wasn't playing near his best, yet it took Andy a third set tie-breaker to win that one two.

So he knows what he has to do if he wants to beat Federer now? Great. Can he do it for a whole match or just a set like he did in the final? If Roddick had kept up his first set play for three sets he would have swept the title from out of Roger's hands because Roger wasn't playing well at all. And I don't think him missing his backhands and forehands easily had much to do with the shot he received but perhaps his own nerves.

As Andy said, it won't be a rivalry if he doesn't score a few matches, something like Serena/Jen, who until recently have had some thrilling matches yet, same result.

Based on what we've seen Andy has to play out of his mind to beat a less-than-best Roger. I'm sure everybody has a lucky day. Roger had one yesterday, where he pulled out a huge victory that was slipping away, and amazingly for the way he was playing compared to Andy, in four sets.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Once Rogi started to hit more of his balls deeper into the baseline Andy's power game was thrown off. Rogi tends to hit too many short balls and since Andy stands back behind the baseline that gives him the chance to run up and smack those balls with his power for winners. I think that along with his S&V game is what got Rogi through and his terrific returning. Henree, Rogi said he has things to improve like his S&V game and his backhand. Rogi will only get better and stronger and smarter. Andy will improve as well but don't think Rogi is just going to stay at his current level. From now on Rogi will be aware of this new Gilbert plan to assault him. Rogi is well aware of players becoming more aggressive against him and he is planning ways to counter it. Rogi did have a patchy day yesterday but was able to pull out the win.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Who won the big points when it counted? Exactly, and as Roddick clearly said I have to start winning matches, before this is called a rivalry. He is trying his best and has improved I was impressed with the backhands from Roddick, but he still went hard after Federer, but couldn't bring it home, which shows how much more work he has to do.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #10
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep and next time Rogi will be ready for Andy's new attack plan. What if it fails again?? Do you think Gilbert and Andy's egos are big enough to live on the tour without the number one ranking??
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
country flag Skyward

Skyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that Roger is winning slams without a coach. Sooner or later he will find someone who will be able to bring new ideas and tactics.
Roger said that he'd hire a coach to improve his game, not just for travelling.
Skyward is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
country flag CarnivalCarnage
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

CarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura aboutCarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura about

Roger said, Roger said.

I hope he never hires another coach. Do it yourself, boy!
CarnivalCarnage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF4EVER
...If Roddick had kept up his first set play for three sets he would have swept the title from out of Roger's hands because Roger wasn't playing well at all. And I don't think him missing his backhands and forehands easily had much to do with the shot he received but perhaps his own nerves.

As Andy said, it won't be a rivalry if he doesn't score a few matches, ...

Based on what we've seen Andy has to play out of his mind to beat a less-than-best Roger. I'm sure everybody has a lucky day. Roger had one yesterday, where he pulled out a huge victory that was slipping away, and amazingly for the way he was playing compared to Andy, in four sets.
V true what you said here! Pandy himself knows it isn't a true rivalry... even tho the dorks on ESPN and NBC keep going on and on ad nauseum... I was a little surprised that Pandy could not keep up his powerful level fr the 1st set tho... usually he hangs in there to win but then again he WAS up a set... and Rogi doesn't lose too many first sets lately.

Not the best Final but it had its moments!

The best was Rogi prevailing!!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Who won the big points when it counted? Exactly, and as Roddick clearly said I have to start winning matches, before this is called a rivalry. He is trying his best and has improved I was impressed with the backhands from Roddick, but he still went hard after Federer, but couldn't bring it home, which shows how much more work he has to do.
well said!

Perhaps Rogi can just have a coach for the clay season, esp RG [Rafter used to have a coach for slams]... he doesn't need one full-time... like Juanqui could use a p/t one for grass and Wimby!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #15
country flag Skyward

Skyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalCarnage
Roger said, Roger said.

I hope he never hires another coach. Do it yourself, boy!
I hope he never hires a BAD coach.
Skyward is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote