Anyone know the answer to this tennis question? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-04-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
country flag GarethHodges

GarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know the answer to this tennis question?

Depending on where you read, John McEnroe has either won 76 or 77 ATP Tour Titles, Stefan Edberg has either won 41 or 42 and Jimmy Connors has either won 105 or 109.

Try typing either "John McEnroe", "76 titles" into a search engine and then try "John McEnroe", "77 titles" for example and you'll find a number of webpages supporting both amounts. The same applies to Connors and Edberg with the above amounts.

I was wondering whether any tennis fans could tell me where the confusion lies - I would imagine that Connors, for example, did win 109 titles but perhaps 4 didn't meet a certain criteria set out and therefore it is officially 105.

Does anybody know the answer?
GarethHodges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 04:41 AM   #2
country flag Ballbuster

Ballbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know the answer to this tennis question?

Edberg has 42, McEnroe has 76, Connors has 106-1. whoop!!!

go to atptennis.com for reliable tennis information from now on
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:46 AM   #3

GarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond reputeGarethHodges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpgbp02
Edberg has 42, McEnroe has 76, Connors has 106-1. whoop!!!

go to atptennis.com for reliable tennis information from now on
Hi mate,

That was the first place that I looked - and I am aware of those official statistics.

However, the question was "where does the confusion lie?"

I am interested to know how scores of other well-respected sources suggest that McEnroe has won 77 titles, Edberg 41 and Connors 109.

These sources have included, or failed to include, titles which these players have obviously won when they totted them all up, and I am interested to know why these titles have or haven't been included on the ATP statistics.

Last edited by GarethHodges : 07-04-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
country flag Ballbuster

Ballbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond repute

look go with the ATP's info, the other numbers might include exhibition titles that are not ATP events
Old 07-04-2004, 05:01 AM   #5

Quote:
look go with the ATP's info, the other numbers might include exhibition titles that are not ATP events
BUT...

I've typed "Stefan Edberg", "41 titles" into a search engine and I have literally found hundreds of webpages supporting the fact that he has won 41 titles. None of the 42 listed on the ATP website are exhibitions so where does the confusion lie in this case?
Old 07-04-2004, 05:18 AM   #6
country flag Ballbuster

wtf, what the hell does it matter, are you trying to put Bud Collins out of business and make a better encyclopedia? the ATP is the official, stick with that
Old 07-04-2004, 05:30 AM   #7

Quote:
wtf, what the hell does it matter, are you trying to put Bud Collins out of business and make a better encyclopedia? the ATP is the official, stick with that
Hi again! I'm just trying to find out why so many other sources have the same, contradictive, information on this subject to the ATP website.

On a website I've just found, the "41" titles that Edberg has won are listed but the Olympic Gold Medal he won in 1984 is absent from the list.

However, Andre Agassi has conclusively won 58 titles, which includes a 1996 Olympic Gold Medal. So were Olympic Gold medals only included from 1988 onwards in career titles - as Marc Rosset (1988 Olympic Gold Medalist) conclusively won 15 titles, which includes that Olympic Gold Medal.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
country flag Ballbuster

OK, Mr more obsessed than GWH, i just called all three legends and I was right
Old 07-04-2004, 07:08 AM   #9
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not get a list of the "41" titles and the "42" titles and see what one is missing from the lesser list?
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:22 PM   #10

I've just discovered that tennis was only included in the 1984 Olympic Games as a demonstration sport which is why many of the sources which say he only won 41 titles do not include it in their figures.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #11

By the way, a demonstration sport means that it is still an event which forms part of the Olympics, but there are no gold/silver/bronze medals on offer. It has been a full medal Olympic Games event in 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 and will be again this summer in Athens.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
country flag CarnivalCarnage
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

CarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura aboutCarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Idiot.
CarnivalCarnage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #13
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

CarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura aboutCarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethHodges
By the way, a demonstration sport means that it is still an event which forms part of the Olympics, but there are no gold/silver/bronze medals on offer. It has been a full medal Olympic Games event in 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 and will be again this summer in Athens.
Well that answers Edberg.

As for Connors, given the era in which he played his early and most prolific portion of his career, it doesn't surprise me that there are differing viewpoints on his career titles.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalCarnage
Well that answers Edberg.

As for Connors, given the era in which he played his early and most prolific portion of his career, it doesn't surprise me that there are differing viewpoints on his career titles.
Hi mate. The McEnroe one is strange too because it is a widely regarded fact that John McEnroe won 77 singles titles and 77 doubles titles, yet the ATP site states that he won 76 singles titles.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #15
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethHodges
Hi mate. The McEnroe one is strange too because it is a widely regarded fact that John McEnroe won 77 singles titles and 77 doubles titles, yet the ATP site states that he won 76 singles titles.
You're quite right. Have you checked ITF yet?