Mens Tennis Forums banner

Article: Federer out to spoil Roddick's party

514 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Asar 
#1 · (Edited)
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14604,-4273615,00.html

Wimbledon-Federer out to spoil Roddick's party
By Pritha Sarkar
LONDON, July 3 (Reuters) - Champion Roger Federer will be out to gatecrash Andy Roddick's Fourth of July celebrations in the Wimbledon final on Sunday.
The Swiss is aiming to get his hands on the gold Challenge Cup for the second successive year with victory over the American on his country's Independence Day.

When the grasscourt championships began last week, there were 126 other players in the draw who were determined to stop a final showdown between Federer and Roddick.

However, after 13 days of on-court drama, the top two seeds will contest the men's final at Wimbledon for the first time since 1982.

That final 22 years ago proved to be a thriller with Jimmy Connors overcoming fellow American John McEnroe in five action-packed sets.

On Sunday, Wimbledon will be hoping for another epic when the brute power of Roddick comes face to face with the sheer craftsmanship of Federer.
Federer, who won the Australian Open earlier this year, has been unbeaten on the slick surface since falling to Croatia's Mario Ancic in the first round here in 2002.

WINNING STREAK
He will be entering Centre Court on the back of a 23-match winning streak on grass and has so far looked simply unbeatable at the All England Club.
"I always feel that my opponent has a chance," said the world number one. "Of course this year has been fantastic for me. It's still very difficult for me to understand why and how come that I'm so dominant this year.
"But every match I go with the same attitude out on court. I know my opponent will try everything to beat me.

"If there are days where I'm not going to play well, I might lose. I know this can happen any day."

Roddick will certainly be hoping Federer has one of his rare off days as the American has only beaten the Swiss once in six previous meetings.

Last year the pair met in the semis and Federer was in irresistible form as he dished out a masterclass in grasscourt tennis to the American.

Roddick had the best view in the country when he was handed a 7-6 6-3 6-3 drubbing by the eventual champion.

A year on, Roddick believes they have both matured as players. It will also be the first time the duo would have met since Federer dislodged the American from the top of the world rankings earlier this year.

"We've both become better players than since last year," said the 21-year-old Roddick. "We've both played a lot of big matches. Whatever I've been through, he's been through as well. We've kind of shadowed each other."
"We do play different types of games. He's more flash, feel and artistry. The one advantage I have over him is just hitting the crap out of the ball. I'm going to have to try and play to my strengths."

Both players have dropped one set en route to the final -- Federer to Lleyton Hewitt in the quarter-finals and Roddick to Ancic in the last four.
While Federer chases his third major trophy, U.S. Open champion Roddick will be gunning for his second.

"These are the moments I work hard and live for. It's going to be a great match," said Federer.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hope Rogi spanks his ass! Bagel him Rogi! I am so nervous.....

#5 ·
Ok fellow Roger fans, I think we need to learn a little humility here. Let's not get too carried away with our rooting for Roger that we lose site that anything can happen out there. Let's give Roddick some credit. He might be able to actually make the match interesting. MAYBE.

#7 ·
How exactly has Andy improved?

The backhand- Still erratic, still subject to collapse on return of serve. He's got almost no feel for the ball on point of contact. Nothing will ever change that.

Court-positioning - He still plays too far behind the baseline on rallies and on most return of serves. Shameful really for a professional tennis player.

The forehand - The spin on this shot lessens its effectiveness. The topspin he puts on it makes it sit up much too much. Hence, it is not as penetrating as it could be. He should be hitting down on the ball more like Roger does. But, Andy can't because he often hits the ball from behind the baseline.

On the other hand, Roger continues to improve on the weaker aspects of his game. The topspin backhand and/or backhand drive has shown real improvement this tournament. He is setting up for it better and as a result he is hitting his spots (crosscourt and down the line) much better.

#8 ·
I guess you havnt watched tennis for a while, do you?
Yes it's still quite erratic, but previously, Roddick wouldnt have a chance to win a point if a net rusher approached into his ugly backhand. Now the world has changed.
Strategy of attacking the stereotypically weak backhand would only end up in a 50% backhand winner or passing shots, believe me dude.
Wimbledon is much more attractive this year. With the absence of all-Williams final and a battle of style in the men's, I can hardly think of a better encounter.

#10 ·
LDVTennis1 said:
How exactly has Andy improved?
Andy has definetly improved in 12 months. The second serve is now a major weapon and he now gets it close to the lines where as before he would just dump it into the middle of the service box.

The backhand is no longer the glaring liability that it was before, way behind his forehand but the backhand is more consistent and he even looks more confident in the slices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.