Blake is back - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blake is back

Blake to Make Comeback in Newport

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...e_comeback.asp

Go and win Newport. And please, no more headbands. You look like a penis

See u there Steffi, at hall of fame. I guess Andre will be there with her.
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #2
country flag YoursTruly

YoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blake is back

ALFONSO!!!!

Nice to see him coming back. He went out in a horrible way!
I'm also excited about Steffi's moment!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

come on james! hope u're feeling alright now!
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:28 AM   #4
country flag |-Safin_Coria-|

|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute|-Safin_Coria-| has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose54
And please, no more headbands. You look like a penis
HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHA
|-Safin_Coria-| is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #5
country flag Coleburg83

Coleburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond repute

When's the last time Blake won a singles title? Two years ago when Paradorn choked away that final in DC?

He gets far, far too much press for a guy thats top 50.
Coleburg83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:57 AM   #6
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but the U.S. media needs a male version or Venus and Serena.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 AM   #7
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree, but the U.S. media needs a male version or Venus and Serena.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. He is nothing like Venus or Serena in tempermant or background...or are you making a Hewitt USO type of remark? I find such an assertion (if that was your intent) kind of belittling.

I think he gets a lot of press because he is a good looking guy, went to Harvard, has a good story of overcoming scoliosis and has a very pleasant personality. And he does have some great talent but hasn't been able to harness it. A couple of years ago he did seem like he would be able to have a break through, but unfortunately that has not come to pass. He also doesn't get as much press as he did around 24 or even 18 months ago.

Last edited by Clara Bow : 07-01-2004 at 03:48 AM.
Clara Bow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

James is just a good guy. He signs every autograph even if he has a tough loss, he's happy and friendly and funny and just a great addition to the tour. I think also because his injury was such a freak event, that's why it was mentioned on the ATP stie. It sounds like he is really lucky even to be able to walk again. It's a little bit different than someone coming back from a sprained ankle or something.

Anyway..... I'm thrilled to see he's coming back!

Here's stuff from his quasi-official site:
-----

JB took time out to answer a few of your more timely questions:
1. What exactly happened in Rome when you hurt yourself? Who were you practicing with? Did you have to go straight to the hospital?

in rome, i was practicing with robby ginepri when i hurt myself. i was lying on the ground for about 30 minutes until the ambulance got there and took me to the emergency room. what happened was i ran for a drop shot, but when i tried to slide, my foot caught and my body kept going directly into the netpost. i hit my neck and the side of my head on the post.

2. What have you been up to since your injury?
Fran from St. Louis

since my injury, i have been spending most of my time in connecticut. it was a good time for me to catch up with a lot of my friends and especially to see my family. i also have figured out that i really like playing online poker, so i was playing a lot of that.

3. Are you going to watch any Wimbledon on ESPN?
Donna from Los Angeles

i will watch some of wimbledon on tv. it's a little bit tough to watch since i really feel like i should be over there and it kind of makes me miss the feeling of being competitive, but i do still like to see my friends play. so i'll watch andy, and any of the other americans who are doing well.

4. If the Yanks lost their entire starting rotation to injury, would they still end up with the best record on the NY teams?
L. Gottlieb, Yankees Fan

no chance the yankees would still have the best record over the mets if they lost their whole starting rotation. the mets are coming around nicely and will hopefully be in the hunt at the end of the season.

5. Did the time off benefit you in any way? (Other than healing)
John from Duluth, GA

the time off benefitted me by getting more time to spend with my family. that is the toughest part of my job i think, leaving all of my family and friends so much. so it was a great opportunity to catch up. it also may have been a benefit in helping me to realize that i'm not invincible. i know most 24 year old kids think they are unstoppable, but now i realize that things can change very quickly. so it may give me even more appreciation of just being out on the court.

6. Are you going to do anything on behalf of/for the Democratic National Committee this election year?
Ellen from Scottsdale

for the DNC this year i have been asked to do a few events in boston. unfortunately, i will be on the road by the time they would take place, so i won't be able to attend them. i will donate some money to the campaign though.
----
As you probably heard, James was not named to the Olympic team, announced Friday by Captain Patrick McEnroe. Apparently he made his team selection based strictly on the rankings, which earned berths for Roddick, Fish, Spadea and Dent in singles and the Bryan brothers in doubles. I'm sure this was a major disappointment for James, but it does bring good news for those of you in Washington, D.C., Indianapolis, Long Island and LA, perhaps. He is now confirmed to be playing all those tourneys.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #9
country flag CarnivalCarnage
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

CarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura aboutCarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow
I'm not quite sure what you mean. He is nothing like Venus or Serena in tempermant or background...or are you making a Hewitt USO type of remark? I find such an assertion (if that was your intent) kind of belittling.

I think he gets a lot of press because he is a good looking guy, went to Harvard, has a good story of overcoming scoliosis and has a very pleasant personality. And he does have some great talent but hasn't been able to harness it. A couple of years ago he did seem like he would be able to have a break through, but unfortunately that has not come to pass. He also doesn't get as much press as he did around 24 or even 18 months ago.
LOL. That's anything but a racist remark. US tennis does need a top black player. That would be good for the game. Tennis is still predominantly a white sport. Black players at the top of the game is the only way that'll change.
CarnivalCarnage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #10
country flag Coleburg83

Coleburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond repute

By white you mean non-black right?

See I've never really thought that South Americans were considered to be so white, but that seems to be the norm when talking about sports like tennis, golf, poker and pool for some reason.
Coleburg83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #11
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

CarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura aboutCarnivalCarnage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleburg83
By white you mean non-black right?

See I've never really thought that South Americans were considered to be so white, but that seems to be the norm when talking about sports like tennis, golf, poker and pool for some reason.
No, by white I meant white.

South Americans can be many things. White, Caribbean, native, black, a bit of two or all three, etc.

But we're talking of the USA. The largest minority is black folk. They really don't play too much tennis. But look at them in football/basketball. Anyway, the comment is just an innocent remark speaking of a central truth. Venus and Serena have reached out to the black community in America, and encouraged a lot girls to take up racquets. James Blake could further that, and do a lot to encourage black boys to take up the game.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #12
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

I should clarify. When I was talking about tennis being predominantly white, I wasn't only talking about the pro ranks.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #13
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose54

See u there Steffi, at hall of fame. I guess Andre will be there with her.
good one
Old 07-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow

Relax, girl. I'm not racist at all. But it's obvious that Venus and Serena made the sport more attractive for afroamericans and other minorities. That's what i'm talking about. Besides, he has been praised as the next Arthur Ashe (something completely :retard: , he would need to do a lot more)
Old 07-01-2004, 04:01 PM   #15
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

Okay- I see what you meant now. But I still think that he would not be the male version of Venus or Serena - they are very different type of people with very idfferent backgorunds.

Along the lines of making the sport more popular amoung different groups, I know that there is a lot of hope that the junior player Donald Young will be a great pro and help bring more people to the sport.
Clara Bow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote