Articles & interviews - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #76
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlesurfeur View Post
When he calls it a career, he will be able to switch to golf, swimming, piano or even resume his studies, even politics. "Of course I'm into politics!" You'll have to wait for him to be done with his tennis career, and it's not going to be soon, considering the incredible fortnight he's having.
I came again across the old article of l'Equipe about the tennis players and the French presidential elections the other day, btw, I had already read it at the time, but I probably wasn't a diehard Poussinette yet back then because I didn't remember Gilles also was quoted in it a few times.

He is pro-Sarkozy. Very, very clearly.

I said last time I prefer not to know!

(I see Marine posted parts of the article here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...08&postcount=7 )

Last edited by Truc : 09-03-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #77
country flag Brego

Brego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody. I'm finally back from my holidays. I really haven't been here since the middle of the Olympics so missed this great article from Tennis Magazine. Thanks Fran, as usual, for the translation and Tutu and jitterbug for editing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Trying to explain that I was better-ranked than Gaël Monfils,for example, was a waste of time at some point…

Thanks again for the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgy View Post
hi guys!
my name is Yavor and i'm new here................
Hi Yavor. Thanks for all the great articles.
Brego is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #78
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

An interview of Tulasne:
http://www.coach365.fr/actu/article_...Masters-.shtml
Summary comes later, I don't have much time right now, sorry.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #79
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,really interresting how gilles managed to improve like he did this year.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #80
country flag Truc

Here's a summary:
The goal for this year was to back up the good results of last year and, why not, improve even more. He has done better than they expected. "He really is very surprising." Since Tulasne started working with him, Gilles has played 5 ATP finals and won all of them.

"Gilles was aware that he needed to be strong physically to be able to play a full season. It was one of our priorities: to work on his condition during the winter break, and he did it well. He worked with a lot of profesionalism and was very courageous. He has managed to 'maintain' this condition for the rest of the season. He really got down to work, which he used to dislike in the past. Gilles is a player who likes playing matches rather than training and working on his condition. He became aware of that. He hasn't had any big injury this year. He also realized that he needed to take his game forward in order to be able to win matches against good players. So he set himself goals to improve his attacking game. He now is able to attack, depending on his tactics and on the opponent, and he's able to finish the points at the net."

"He surprises me because he isn't afraid of anybody. His natural confidence is increased by the fact that he's very strong physically on the court, fast and tough, and also by the fact that he has an all-round game, he has no real flaw his opponents could use. That's why he can dream of going even higher."

Then the inevitable question about the fact that he has never gone far in Grand Slams though.
Tutu is defending Gilles big time on that point - but saying wrong things in the process, so I know it's well-meant, but it looks a bit ridiculous! I hope something got lost in transcription, I can not believe he says Gilles beat "two very good players" to reach the 3rd round against Nadal at the Australian Open (he beat Bobby Reynolds - last direct entry in the MD - in 5 sets and a half-tanking Rainer Schüttler!) Then he says Gilles beat two "very good players" in Wimbledon again (Olejniczak!! and Calleri) and lost to Ritchie in a 4'30 match (not true either). ^^ And JMDP was ranked #10 after the USO, so Gilles has always lost to players better than him in GS. (OK, that's true.)

Since he has already done better than expected for this year, the new goal is to come as close as possible to the top 10. And, why not, get the last spot in Shanghai, but he'll need to play extremely well for that and achieve a feat. He's now taking 2 weeks off and they will start training again 4-5 days before Metz because he will play 5 tournaments in a row.

Last edited by Truc : 09-18-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #81
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's now taking 2 weeks off and they will start training again 4-5 days before Metz because he will play 5 tournaments in a row.
I read Grand Chelem Mag and it seems that's he will play the Open de la Baie Somme 23-28 september. Last year Jo won this open where there is no points to win..

Gilles is annonced on the website as Paulo and Gicquel.

http://www.openbaiedesomme.com/
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #82
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

he needs to rest cause he will fight hard for a qualification to the TMC and this pass with winning points.Many points.
There will be huge competition between many players such as wawrinka,blake,del potro...

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #83
country flag Truc

That thing is like training, it's just an exhibition.
But I don't see the point in playing Metz. He'd need to reach the semi-final there to add just a few points, it's not really worth the hassle.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #84
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brego View Post

Hi Yavor. Thanks for all the great articles.

u welcome........
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #85
country flag Månu

Månu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That thing is like training, it's just an exhibition.
But I don't see the point in playing Metz. He'd need to reach the semi-final there to add just a few points, it's not really worth the hassle.
I think it's just for confidence, because he probably does not want to arrive in Madrid or Paris with no games in a month!

"We still believe that all people are born bad and are made good by society, rather than the opposite" Trey Parker & Matt Stone
Månu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #86
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

It's in France, it's important for him to play in his homecountry and it's not far from Switzerland I think !
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #87
country flag Truc

He has entered Vienna too, Manu. His schedule is Metz-Vienna-Madrid-Lyon-Bercy. And if he wants to scratch out one, it should be Metz.

I like he planned on playing Metz, but playing in his homecountry is not the priority for him right now. This time he's allowed to turn into a "ranking points whore". I don't think he has much of a chance to qualify, but he has to try.
And Metz is hardly interesting for him rankingwise unless he reaches the final. It won't be so easy to go far there, Metz brings few points, but the "cut" is quite high!

But well, if he feels well rested enough (he said in Bucharest he was very tired), he can play to get used to the surface and try to get some confidence for Madrid indeed.

He often makes me eat my words, so watch him do well in Metz and qualify thanks to these points.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #88
country flag Truc

An interview in the local newspaper of Metz today (Républicain Lorrain), so I guess he will really play:
Quote:
Simon : « J'adore jouer les finales »
Vainqueur de trois tournois cette année et de Roger Federer, Gilles Simon est devenu l'homme fort du tennis français. Et l'un des grands favoris de l'Open de Moselle. Tour d'horizon avec ce champion plein d'aplomb et pas langue de bois.

• Une belle année ? « Oui, ça, c'est sûr ! »
• Au choix, que préférez-vous : le classement (17e mondial), les trois tournois gagnés ou le succès contre Federer ? « Sans hésitation, le classement, qui veut dire beaucoup de choses. C'est mon plus gros objectif. »
• Battre le n°1 ou enlever des tournois, tout de même... « Les exploits, les grosses victoires, sur un seul match, restent plus faciles que de se maintenir à un bon niveau de jeu tout au long de l'année. Un exploit peut être sans lendemain. »
• Vous dites "plus faciles" ? « Transpercer un tournoi pendant une semaine, ça arrive. On peut être dans un état de grâce. Je ne parle même pas d'un match où il suffit d'être en forme pendant 1h30 ou 2 h. Donc, c'est plus facile ! »
• Il ne faudrait pas minimiser votre performance : vous êtes seulement le cinquième joueur français de l'histoire à gagner cinq tournois. « Bien sûr, mais on raisonne souvent avec ce qui nous manque... A l'inverse, je n'ai pas réussi à percer dans les tableaux des tournois du Grand chelem. »
• Peut-on vous considérer comme le n°1 de l'Hexagone cette saison ? « C'est une chose compliquée. Je n'ai pas gagné d'épreuves importantes. Evidemment, je suis devant à la Race (classement de l'année) mais sans avoir une énorme marge d'avance. »
• Simon ou Gasquet ? « Je ne joue pas pour me retrouver devant Richard. Je vis d'abord ma performance personnelle. Trois Français dans le top 10 mondial, ça ne changerait rien pour moi. Mon but a toujours été d'arriver le plus haut possible dans le classement. Je comprends qu'il soit important, pour vous, de dire : le n°1, c'est lui. Mais je ne joue pas en rapport avec ça. »
• Cette vive concurrence nationale a-t-elle des côtés positifs ? « Quand les autres sont bons, ils vous aident. Parce que vous avez battu ces joueurs qui dominent eux-mêmes d'excellents adversaires. Alors, vous vous rendez compte, dans la tête, que vous pouvez les imiter. J'ai mes repères avec Jo (Tsonga) et Gaël (Monfils). L'un a fait finale en Australie, le deuxième demi-finale à Roland-Garros. Je me dis : pourquoi pas moi ? Les autres Français vous désinhibent en quelque sorte ! »
• Avez-vous conscience, malgré la richesse de votre palmarès, d'être plus en retrait sur le plan médiatique que ce duo ? « Je n'ai jamais eu de problème par rapport à ça car je n'ai jamais cherché à avoir mon nom à la une des journaux. Je ne crains pas d'ailleurs que cela ne vienne pas. Chacun apporte au tennis ce qu'il peut. Je me rends compte de la différence. Gaël (Monfils) est un showman. A l'US Open, il était à peine tête de série et on l'a fait jouer sur le court Armstrong (le principal) contre un qualifié (joueur modeste donc) ».
• En causez-vous avec Monfils ? « Oui, on en rigole. Je lui balance : comment veux-tu que j'explique aux gens que je suis mieux classé que toi ? Ce qui me gêne davantage, c'est quand on confond potentiel, talent, niveau de jeu et notoriété. »
• Êtes-vous confiant pour l'Open de Moselle ? « Sur surface indoor, j'ai remporté mon premier titre à Marseille et c'était plus rapide que le greenset de Metz. Mon jeu à plat peut se révéler gênant... »
• Vous venez de gagner vos cinq dernières finales. Gilles Simon, nerfs d'acier ? « Déjà tout petit, j'adorais jouer les finales. C'est encore vrai. Simplement parce que pour y parvenir, il faut souvent gagner. Et quand on gagne, on emmagasine de la confiance. Aujourd'hui, c'est pareil : pourquoi tout d'un coup je perdrais mon niveau en un jour ? Bon, dans ces finales, je n'ai pas non plus battu Nadal ou Federer ! »
Alain THIÉBAUT.
I'll translate later.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #89
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Simon ou Gasquet ? « Je ne joue pas pour me retrouver devant Richard. Je vis d'abord ma performance personnelle. Trois Français dans le top 10 mondial, ça ne changerait rien pour moi. Mon but a toujours été d'arriver le plus haut possible dans le classement. Je comprends qu'il soit important, pour vous, de dire : le n°1, c'est lui. Mais je ne joue pas en rapport avec ça. »
Why should it be important for the journaliste?

I have also a language question on this, in teh corresponding thread.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #90
country flag Truc

Of course it is a story for the French journalists. It's not like they will talk about it in the news either! But the French tennis websites will point out that kind of things, of course, they've always published the ranking of the French players every Monday and will comment on possible changes, it has nothing to do with Richard.

Here's the "translation":

• A beautiful year? "Yes, for sure!"
• If you have to choose, what do you prefer: your ranking (#17), the 3 titles or the win over Federer? "The ranking, without a doubt, because it means a lot. It's my biggest goal."
• But to beat the world number 1 or to win tournaments... "The big wins, the feats in one match are easier to obtain than maintaining a good level during the whole year. They can be just a fluke."
• Easier? "It happens to have a great run in a tournament. Sometimes you are particularly inspired for one week. And you just need to be in great form for 90 minutes or 2 hours to score a big win. So it's easier!"
• But you shouldn't play down your own performance, you're only the 5th French player to have won 5 titles... "Yes, but one tends to see what is still lacking... I haven't managed to go far in Slams yet."
• Can we say you're the French number 1 for this year? "It's complicated. I haven't won any big title. I'm the number one in the Race, of course, but not with a big margin."
• Simon or Gasquet? "I don't play to be ahead of Richard, but for my own achievements only. Having 3 French players in the top 10 wouldn't change anything for me. My goal has always been to reach the highest possible ranking. I understand it's important for you to say: he's the number 1. But that's not why I'm playing."
• Has the competition with the other French players positive impacts? "It helps when the other guys are good. Because you used to beat these players who now are beating excellent players. So you realize in your mind that you can do the same. Jo and Gaël are points of reference for me. One made the final in Australia, the other one the semi-final in Roland-Garros. I say to myself: why not me? The results of the others help to get rid of one's inhibitions, so to say!"
• Are you aware that you're in the background in the media compared to those two in spite of your titles record? "I've never had a problem with that because I've never tried to make the headlines. And I'm not afraid it might not happen. Each of us is bringing his own thing to tennis. I'm aware of the difference. Gaël is a showman. He was hardly seeded at the US Open and he was scheduled on Armstrong for a match against a qualifier."
• Do you talk about it with Monfils? "Yes, we joke about it. I tell him: but how will I explain to people that I'm better-ranked than you then? It bothers me more when people mix up potential, talent, level and fame."
• Are you confident for the Metz tournament? "I won my first title indoors in Marseille and the surface was faster than the greenset of Metz. My flat shots can be a trouble on that surface..."
• You won your 5 last finals. Do you have nerves of steel? "I loved to play finals as a kid already. I still do. Because to reach the final, one has to win a lot. And winning gives one confidence. I still feel the same today: why would my game disappear over night? But I didn't beat Nadal or Federer in these finals either!"

Last edited by Truc : 09-25-2008 at 02:12 PM.