Articles & interviews - Page 58 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #856
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Okay. Thanks. I appreciate your view even if it's different from mine. Whatever my responses to your post, it wasn't personal, I was responding to the similar things other ppl has been saying, esp the part when they said Simon is a nobody and shouldn't speak up. But anyway, I do hope this past soon so I can talk about his tennis than anything else.

He addressed his mental handicap at the last itw when the journalist finally ask a question about his loss. And I like that the journalists also ask about his lack of production in GS. I'm sure he aware of it anyway, but it is a good thing that he gets reminded that this is what he gets measured, the GS results. This year is nothing but a disappointment. But with Gilles, I'm always confident that he is working on it to change things, even if it takes a long time for him to change it. The first 2 months of the year was a disaster and he dig deep and produce good result on his worse surface. I'm confident that this controversy will have no effect on his tennis whatsoever, well, that's what I hope anyway. We'll see what happens in 2 weeks when he show up at Hamburg.
It's frustrating though that he gets tricky draws in the slams, if he had Fish's draw for example, he would have made the fourth round. It's always been a mixture of bad luck and poor play. If he wants to make the top 10 he obviously needs to beat Wawrinka and Malisse but I just wish he would have gotten Malisse at the French and Wawrinka at Wimbledon. I think he would have made the fourth round at both events if the draws had been flipped.
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #857
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
It's frustrating though that he gets tricky draws in the slams, if he had Fish's draw for example, he would have made the fourth round. It's always been a mixture of bad luck and poor play. If he wants to make the top 10 he obviously needs to beat Wawrinka and Malisse but I just wish he would have gotten Malisse at the French and Wawrinka at Wimbledon. I think he would have made the fourth round at both events if the draws had been flipped.
That is very true, luck plays a lot to the outcome of his slams result this year. Wawa is a very good claycourter and Malisse is a very good grass player. But he should have beaten Wawa in RG. Even that he lost in 3 to Malisse, it wasn't like he can't handle Malisse's play that lost the match, it was that he can't handle the pressure of the big points. Getting a kind draw obviously is gonna make it easier, but he has the mean to beat those he lost to, he needs to step up and get it done on the big stage. He knows it too, he said a lot of regrets in the RG loss and even if he didn't get ask much about the Wimby loss, he acknowledged that he was not good enough mentally. He got to improve those mental. Easier said than done, I know. Still, to know what the problem is and acknowledge it, is at least the first step in correcting the situation. Then again, we knew it all along that the reason why he hasn't been able to produce his 2008 form is that he is not the same confident player that he used to be. So I guess, it doesn't matter whether you know it or not. Mental strength is not an easy thing to improve. Sooner or later, we all just ought to stop saying that 2008 form, since it is no use to cite the past when it doesn't really mean anything anymore in the current time, I guess.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #858
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

im just so disappointed with the way my 2 frenchies have done at the slams this year(gillou and marion). I do agree that gilles has gotten some bad luck with the draws..malisse on grass is still no easy put away

however he should have beaten stan at the french and he had the momentum against julien in australia going into that 5th set but did nothing with it. So while the draws have been tough he's still had chances to do well there are matches he should have still won and didnt.

hopefull he and marion will have a good US open and they can at least end the grand slam year on a high note

i dont know that he would have made the 4th round with mardy's draw.I think ward in trhe 2nd round would have been a very risky match for him because he doesnt seem to do well when the crowd is against him and that definately would have been the case with james. Maybe i shouldnt say that..maybe its foolish to say that i would be concerned about him losing to ward but i have to admit my confidence in him at slams is shaken a bit after his results this year
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #859
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles has no problem with crowd against him, he has more problem when they are for him, more because of the pressure of expectation that he feels when the crowd is with him. He has explained it in that itw that I posted 2 weeks ago, that he can't seem to do well in Roland Garros because of the expectation, not from anyone but from himself. When he is playing at home in front of a home crowd, he expects a lot of himself and that makes him tense and underperform.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #860
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lala, thanks for all your input above. I agree with you completely. I just can't put it in writing -- too lazy and too mad at those accusing Gilles of being sexist.

Sadly some of us (you and I for example) are living in an economic-driven world not in an ideal world where the richer (ATP) should carry the weight of the poorer (WTA) like some of the articles or journalists have tried to point out. Some of them when they can't argue with the economic factor, they just go with 'EP is the right thing to do'. Yeah invading Iraq is the right thing to do for some as well. I can't argue with those people, just a waste of energy and time.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #861
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to major but here is an article that shows off the outfits that the various countries' tennis players will be wearing during the opening ceremonies at the Olympic games. Notice the comment about Gilles for the French outfits. But boy, some of those countries' outfits though, YIKES!

http://www.shrewdtennis.com/tennis-o...mony-uniforms/
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #862
country flag lalaland

Thanks, for the link.

Can't quite tell what the guy is wearing though, an oversize ski jacket?
I love their last Olympics outfit, the suit with that hat, I was hoping to see it again this year, but I guess not.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #863
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Below is an article about Gilles and his love of the Olympics.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actuali...du-reel/300619

Simon : «Une humilité au-delà du réel» A Londres, Gilles Simon dispute ses deuxièmes JO d'affilée. Il adore l'esprit olympique et loue l'humilité, le respect et le partage avec les autres athlètes.

«L'esprit des JO, c'est de voir le basketteur américain à côté du petit gymnaste chinois au self.» En une phrase, Gilles Simon a résumé l'universalité des Jeux Olympiques. Il aime cette compétition pour cet esprit et ces valeurs de partage. A Londres, il veut donc faire partie de la famille du village. La raison le guide vers Wimbledon pour éviter des déplacements trop longs, mais son coeur le porte à vivre l'événement avec tous les autres athlètes. «Si tu fais une médaille en étant en dehors du village sans voir un athlète, tu seras content comme si tu avais atteint ta finale ou demi-finale à Roland-Garros. Mais cela restera un truc personnel, souligne le 13e mondial qui ne logera à Wimbledon que lors des matches. Aux Jeux, il y a un esprit qui mérite d'être vécu».

Souvenirs de cérémonie et d'arrivée au village
De sa première participation aux JO de Pékin, le 13e mondial garde comme souvenirs, la cérémonie d'ouverture et l'arrivée au village. Avec Gaël Monfils comme partenaire de chambrée, il ne peut pas oublier. «Le soir, tout le monde descend, se remémore Gilles Simon. Tu te fais une partie de poker avec les épéistes et les judokas». Et avec La Monf', le quotidien porte mal son nom. «C'est la Monf' quoi, raconte-il en riant. Il dit à Teddy (Riner) : "Viens là, je suis sûr que je te fous par terre". Tout le monde vient et rigole. C'est Gaël, c'est pour ça que tout le monde l'adore». C'est l'INSEP puissance 1000.

Pendant quatre ans, il a pu côtoyer tous les sportifs à l'Institut national du sport. Il mesure parfaitement les performances de chaque athlète où un médaillé olympique troque son costume d'ingénieur le jour pour celui d'escrimeur de 18 à 20h00. Et il s'étonne du manque de reconnaissance médiatique de certains sports : «Cela me surprend car tout le monde se rend compte pendant les Jeux des valeurs sportives de ces athlètes. On se dit quel bel état d'esprit. Et d'un autre côté, on entend les gens dire que les footeux sont trop payés etc. Mais ils continuent à aller au stade et à ne pas aller voir les autres sports. On ne change pas les habitudes. J'ai toujours été surpris que cela ne rebondisse pas plus loin derrière. Mais c'est la loi du genre.»

Quand il rencontre l'escrimeuse Maureen Nissima lors du Téléthon, il lui rappelle leur palmarès respectif pour remettre les choses en perspective : «Moi je ne gagne rien, toi tu es championne du monde. J'ai juste la chance de faire un sport plus médiatisé que le tien. Ils sont médaillés olympiques, ils réalisent un truc incroyable, mais ce n'est pas reconnu alors ils ont l'impression que ce qu'on fait au tennis est dix fois mieux qu'eux.» Aux jeux Olympiques, chacun est à sa place avec le même culte de la performance. Peu importe la médiatisation de son sport. «Les athlètes se mélangent, tout paraît normal, tout le monde vit son truc à fond et il y a une espèce de respect entre les différents sports où chacun pense que ce qu'il fait dans son sport est moins bien que ce font les autres. Il y a une humilité au-delà du réel. Il n'y a que des champions et ils sont simples. C'est juste fabuleux.»
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #864
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

Great read, haters need to see this.

David Nalbandian ♦ Roger Federer ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Nikolay Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #865
country flag mike s.

I know, I almost posted it on Tennisforum to combat some of the stuff that's spewed about him there but I couldn't think of a way it related to women's tennis.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #866
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
Nothing to major but here is an article that shows off the outfits that the various countries' tennis players will be wearing during the opening ceremonies at the Olympic games. Notice the comment about Gilles for the French outfits. But boy, some of those countries' outfits though, YIKES!

http://www.shrewdtennis.com/tennis-o...mony-uniforms/
im loving the german uniforms, they are my favorite. France's uniforms are to plain and boring for me. Belgian mens uniforms are great and the polish uniforms are really nice

i really feel sorry for the russian, spanish, chinese, dutch and bulgarian athletes, those uniforms are just awful

and south korean uniforms look like they should be on a ship
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #867
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/dma...ous_filDMA.Htm

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #868
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to post it but in the last tennis magazine you've a report on player/father and you get interviews of Gilles and Carine. I you understand french it can interest you. Both were affected that he missed the birth.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf page_084.pdf (158.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: pdf page_085.pdf (113.8 KB, 30 views)
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #869
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulage View Post
I forgot to post it but in the last tennis magazine you've a report on player/father and you get interviews of Gilles and Carine. I you understand french it can interest you. Both were affected that he missed the birth.
Merci Soulage!

Google translate says

Quote:
GILLES SIMON
father of Timothy, 2 years
"It's important for me
Carine and Timothy with me
on the circuit, to spend more time
all that see me play. I have a
Carine big confidence, it helps me
enormously. When I'm in the tournament,
I need to be focused. their presence
by my side I do not interfere because it was
found our mode of operation.
Carine manages all the work with Timothy
that it goes well. I try to
possible not to change
my operation when they are there because
I have a rhythm tournament that I do
not change. So I support much less
Carine Timothé with what I
when I'm at home, I try where there
take care all day.
But I never gave up fight
a tournament because of my family. Apart
the time of his birth that I
fitted, but does not pass
as expected. I expected nothing
play after the U.S. Open in 2010 because it was
scheduled for mid-September. "Unfortunately,"
Timothy came for! I'm not very
lived well having missed the birth.
It was a mixed feeling a little high
joy, excitement and huge high
disappointment at the time. Birth is a
particular time, it will lack ...
I knew from the start that there would
difficult times, I will not be there,
I will miss things. Nowadays, there
has many ways to communicate,
we try to make the most even
if the time difference, it is never
obvious.
I hoped that the birth of my son
make it more calm on the ground, but it
has not been the case. Unfortunately I
always so tense! I'm just
happiest man in my life. on
field, it has not changed anything in my efforts,
in my motivation, but after a defeat
painful, I'm happy to go
the house and retrieve them, it helps me
greatly to evacuate.

CARINE LAURET
companion of Gilles Simon
"Gilles and I had already decided
the departure of the support in a maximum
tournaments. I had not lived well that
Gilles has missed the birth of Timothy
because he was at the U.S. Open. Can not
share this special moment, I do not "remained
across the throat, "even if Gilles
arrived four days later and was able to remain a
week with us before leaving sectional
Davis.
Two weeks after his birth, Timothy
was already on the circuit, since we went to
Metz, where Gilles has become! I remember
we had a great hotel room but
not isolated corner to Timothy. then
every time he cried, I took all
away in my arms he wakes
Gilles not. I was nursing in the bathroom
bathroom or in the hallway of the hotel. and yet
Today, when we go with Gilles
tournament, it is not really to see the
tennis!
Gilles really need to match to be
confidence. So he made his program without
consider us. And we are trying to
be added. In March, I followed Acapulco
Indian Wells and Miami, because it was a
months we had not seen and that if we do
not see him this time, we do not see
not before an eternity. Timothy, in the long
demanded his father, Gilles is not well and I
either. Tournament, trying if possible
to have a large room or two
rooms for Gilles
can recover from jetlag. A
Indian Wells this year, the room was very
large but not very well suited. Timothy
slept in a large closet! eve
match, it has happened to me to offer
Gilles going to sleep with Thierry (Tulasne
coach) for it to rest.
During periods when we are separated, we
seen every day by video, if the offset
permits. It's part of the ritual end
day, there is a bath, a meal, and then say
Dad goodnight before going to bed.
Whenever Gilles returned from a tournament
it is Timothé changed, so it is a little
frustrated I think. He missed his first steps,
it was during the Asian tour in autumn
last year.
When Gilles is at home in Switzerland, was
a small quiet family life without tennis,
no call. Gilles becomes a dad
hen he cares much, he learns to
"Play" tennis racket with its small.

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #870
country flag lalaland

Thanks so much, Soulage.

CARINE LAURET "I had not lived well that Gilles has missed the birth of Timothy because he was at the U.S. Open."

Carine look lovely in that pic with Timothee.